PDA

View Full Version : Lessons in Cleveland, OH...edit: Board?

HorselessOH
Aug. 3, 2011, 08:20 PM
Hi all,

I recently moved to Cleveland for grad school, and I had to leave my horse at home due to time constraints. While I don't have time to ride on a daily basis, I'm still in desperate need of a horse fix! Since I'm away from home, I figured I would try to build my riding knowledge as much as possible.

I've been riding for just about 13 years, eventing for the past 6 years or so. I've competed my horse up through training level eventing. Dressage has always been my weakest phase and where I stand to learn the most.

I'm hoping to find a barn in the Cleveland area where I could further my dressage knowledge on quality lesson horses. I miss being in a barn terribly, so a well run barn of any sort would be wonderful.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!

2tempe
Aug. 3, 2011, 08:29 PM
I lived there for many years until two years ago. There are some very good trainers, but few if any dressage lesson horses. If you are interested in a partial lease, there might be some available. One place you might check is Crosswinds Farm; the owner, Bob Weston has some sale horses and maybe he would do lessons on them. Not really sure, but worth a phone call.
Check out the local GMO website, www.nodarider.org. and PM me if you have questions about anyone in particular.

KarenC
Aug. 4, 2011, 10:46 AM
I think Janeen Langowski-Grava may have a couple of school horses available. She is located in Aurora which is outside of Cleveland. Good instructor, I took some lessons with her on my own horses when I was in the area, but I'm pretty sure I remember a couple of school horses in the barn.

http://www.topline-stables.com/

HorselessOH
Aug. 4, 2011, 07:45 PM
Thank you! There seems to be quite a large horse community out here. It's a welcome surprise. I'll check out all of the recommendations. I really appreciate the help!

dghunter
Aug. 4, 2011, 11:41 PM
There are quite a few dressage trainers in the area. Not sure how many/if any have lesson horses. NODA is definitely a good place to start.

Don Raphaelo Rollkurista
Aug. 5, 2011, 12:59 AM
Fallon Walker Blackburn and her Mom Kelly Walker are the best in the area bar none.

SillyHorse
Aug. 5, 2011, 09:20 AM
They're down in Medina, or at least they were. That's quite a hike from Cleveland.

khorsem
Aug. 6, 2011, 07:34 PM
Julie Taylor at Northcrest Eq. Center in Avon Lake, OH. She's an awesome trainer and person! Here's a link:

http://www.northcrestequestrian.com/

dghunter
Aug. 6, 2011, 11:41 PM
They're down in Medina, or at least they were. That's quite a hike from Cleveland.

Fallon Walker Blackburn and her Mom Kelly Walker are the best in the area bar none.

They are fantastic! PM me if you want details. They are a straight shot down 71. Small barn though so probably won't have anything to ride though they might. Absolutely love them :D

FEIPony
Aug. 7, 2011, 01:21 PM
I think I should start off by saying "Welcome" to a city with an amazing horse community! For lessosn it would be really helpful to know which side of Cleveland you are on as there is a large distance between East side & West side. As stated before, NODA is a great resource to finding a trainer.

If you're closer to the east side, you should have absolutely no problems finding a good dressage trainer! West side is a little harder, but it is possible.

Off the top of my head here's a list:

Charlotte Bayley-Schindelhoz at CSB dressage
http://www.csbdressage.net/
Well known & highly respected trainer & rider.

Nancy Lewis-Stanton at Sendonway
http://www.sendonway.com/
Always brings a nice group of horses & riders to the shows.

Fallon Walker Blackburn gets another vote too!

Jeffrey Taylor at Blue Ridge Farm
http://blueridgefarmeventing.com/
An event trainer, but gives excellant dressage training. A great barn if you're closer to the west side of cleveland.

That's all I can think of right now, but the lovely people at NODA should be able to give you more advice. PM me if you have anymore questions.

dghunter
Aug. 7, 2011, 01:24 PM
Fallon and Kelly's place is on facebook if you search Truly Dancing Dressage. They did have a website but it looks like it's not up anymore.

HorselessOH
Aug. 7, 2011, 09:16 PM
Wow, there really are so many barns! I'm located on the east side of the city, right around CWRU. I'm still working on finding my way around, but I have figured out how to get down to the Beachwood area. It seems like most barns are east or south of there from what I can tell. I'm hoping to start riding in the next two or three weeks once I get settled with classes. I look forward to investigating all my options. The horse community here is very impressive! Thank you!

2tempe
Aug. 7, 2011, 09:23 PM
Yes, you will have a bit of a drive - Cleveland is VERY sprawled out; but worth the drive to be able to ride!!

Keep us posted...

Posse977
Aug. 9, 2011, 11:31 AM
CWRU is basically in the city as far as east and west goes. You will have a bit of a drive to either side of town. Most of the trainers listed don't offer school horses, unfortunately. That seems to be more of a hunter jumper thing. Last I knew, Bob Weston at Cross Winds did have school horses. There is a NODA schooling show there this Sunday. If you can, stop by and introduce yourself. I'm the show secretary, so I will be there all day. You might also try Margaret McElhaney at Rocky River stables. She is not a"big name", but she has a nice facility and I think she has some school horses.

khorsem
Aug. 9, 2011, 12:25 PM
Julie has school horses!

Equi88
Aug. 9, 2011, 02:44 PM
You might also try Margaret McElhaney at Rocky River stables. She is not a"big name", but she has a nice facility and I think she has some school horses.

But Margaret is a big name around here!!! :-)
Posse is absolutely right, most of the trainers don't have lesson horses! Rocky River does, and so do Julie Taylor, Bob Weston and I think Jeff Taylor.

Posse977
Aug. 9, 2011, 03:44 PM
Of course Margaret is around here! I just meant in relation to folks like Kate Poulin, Charlotte Bayley and the like- you know, the ones that are a bit more nationally known...

I spoke to Bob Weston- he does have school horses.
www.thecrosswindsfarm.com

He has XC at his farm as well.

HorselessOH
Aug. 15, 2011, 06:55 PM
Sorry to bump this back up, but I'm leaning more and more towards bringing my horse out this way. It all depends on whether or not I can find the right boarding facility.

Any ideas on barns that are within about 30-35 minutes of Case?

It doesn't need to be a big training barn. Any mixed use facility would be fine.

What I need most in a barn:
-has an indoor
-good turnout (7 days/wk)
-daily stall cleaning
-available to hold for vet/farrier
-willing to change blankets if I can't make it out to the barn
-reasonable board (I'm not entirely sure what is reasonable for this area.. $700 and under?)
-access to a dressage or eventing instructor

Roberta
Aug. 17, 2011, 06:22 PM
Chadwick Farm is a lovely facility located off of Rte 422 by Welshfield. It has a nice indoor with mirrors, beautiful turnout in big pastures and the owner, Caroline Redmond will hold the horses for the farrier, vet, etc.

Caroline Redmond: 216/496-7842 or carolinebr6@aol.com.

The quality of care is excellent. There is also a BNT and his daughter currently training horses out of there, too.

2tempe
Aug. 17, 2011, 07:19 PM
Chadwick is very nice, but pretty far from Case, ESPECIALLY in the winter...
In reality there is not much w/in the 30 minute range - especially in the winter! T/O in the winter is a dicey situation also; Your best bet is barns on the west side of Geauga County; The Hunt Club in Gates Mills is probably the closest, and I was there for a long time, but their turn out is lacking generally; one reason why I left. Mostly a hunter barn. Scenic Run is not far from there; they have limited turnout on grass, BUT a good number of all-weather paddocks and a HUGE indoor. I boarded there and was lucky as my horse went out w/ a group on grass. Crosswinds, is further still, as are a couple of smaller places like Noble Horse Farm on Pekin Road. Also a farm run by Lauren Ball Tisdale on Music Street. Lauren is a dressage trainer; the others (ex Crosswinds) have no on-site trainer, but may have people that come in and teach. Unfortunately for many in that area, there was a "floating" trainer, wonderful woman, who was lost to cancer a year or so ago, and that has left a hole in the teaching community.

Crosswinds may be the least expensive; I would expect that you are looking at 750 and up, but I moved two years ago, so not totally sure. PM me if you want more specifics on anyone or any place!

Also most places will do the blanket thing and will have someone to deal w/ the vet/farrier - though you may have to pay for farrier holding...Some places do stalls 6 days/week but are ok w/ you doing your own on the off day.

Paddys Mom
Aug. 17, 2011, 07:31 PM
Sweetheart Stables in Chesterland is a good location and good care. No trainer onsite but trainers can come in.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sweetheart-Stables/182344185112210
http://chagrinvalleytimes.coolerads.com/display_ads/print_view/2632880

HorselessOH
Aug. 17, 2011, 08:14 PM
I have some calls in to see barns, so hopefully I'll find something soon! It's hard enough to move yourself to a new city, let alone a horse. All of the responses I've been getting on COTH have been so helpful. Horse people are the best! Thanks!

JDillon
Aug. 22, 2011, 10:27 AM
Good luck with grad school. My dad grew up in the Cleveland area. If you're looking for a barn, I would highly recommend Kate Poulin at Fair Weather Farm. She's a Pan Am Medalist in dressage and works with dressage riders, eventers, and hunter/jumpers. Excellent horse care and training/instruction. Plus she hosts clinics with her parents (Michael & Sharon Poulin), Christoph Hess, etc. Great atmosphere. Email me for her phone number if you'd like (jjpdillon@verizon.net).

2tempe
Aug. 23, 2011, 02:59 PM
Kate is a good suggestion as a dressage trainer, but I believe she spends most of the winter in Florida at her parents' farm. Fairweather is beautiful, but quite a haul from Case; I looked at it a few years ago and it was 25 minutes from my house, which was well out on the east side of Cleveland.

.natalie.
Aug. 24, 2011, 08:54 PM
Sent you a PM :)

We have stalls available at Hickory Hill Farm in Mentor, we meet all the criteria you list so it may be a good fit if it's close enough. Easy access from I90. If you search for us on Facebook you can see photos and more info. Kate Poulin teaches here fairly regularly, as does Barb Soukup ("L" judge).