PDA

View Full Version : Hunters to Eventing

reay6790
Aug. 3, 2011, 05:43 PM
So I saw a couple of people posting in here who were once hunter people. Did you do the A circuit? not that it really matters.

Anyways, I am still doing the hunters (maybe 10 shows a year), but unretired my short stirrup XL pony and started doing eventing at my barn at college (leave show horse with hunter trainer).

How did you transition? XC and SJ i still wear my hair over my ears, and i feel naked without it. Dressage I suck it up. I just bought my first dressage saddle.

Any tips? I still duck some o/f.

Duckz
Aug. 3, 2011, 06:42 PM
So I saw a couple of people posting in here who were once hunter people. Did you do the A circuit? not that it really matters.

Anyways, I am still doing the hunters (maybe 10 shows a year), but unretired my short stirrup XL pony and started doing eventing at my barn at college (leave show horse with hunter trainer).

How did you transition? XC and SJ i still wear my hair over my ears, and i feel naked without it. Dressage I suck it up. I just bought my first dressage saddle.

Any tips? I still duck some o/f.

You sound like me! I did the local hunter stuff as a kid (one A show, ever).

Hunter hair, all three phases. BN - N I rode dressage tests in full hunter gear (puke green TS's and all). Tastefully attired for xc. It took me awhile before I even used square pads instead of fitted.

I still duck sometimes. Try not to though, it's a good way to hit the dirt on xc. Kick it in the back seat ;)

If you're like me, you'll be converted, you'll own three different sets of tack for three phases, and you'll chug half a beer before xc. Eventing is soooo much more fun than hunters. Enjoy!

reay6790
Aug. 3, 2011, 06:59 PM
well honestly, if my show horse wasn't rocking the A/Os, i wouldn't mind trying him XC. he's a heavy build TB that would win the dressage and be clean SJ, i just don't know about XC. i've never galloped him at anything in my life...

he is really good at hunters. i think he would be good at eventing too, but i'm afraid i would maybe fry him.

retired XL pony now has 2 saddles, 2 bridles (about to be 3...), and more pads/stuff than my hunter.

yellowbritches
Aug. 3, 2011, 07:14 PM
I've known quite a few good hunters that took to the eventing easily and loved it. My theory is jumping is jumping. They get it...and usually enjoy the change of pace (literally and figuratively). And just because your horse is doing the A/Os does not mean he'd have to or could/should go prelim (not that you were necessarily thinking that, though some do). There's not much real GALLOPING at fences at novice...a lot like the hunters...set a nice rhythm and keep it. ;)

wildlifer
Aug. 3, 2011, 08:49 PM
There's not much real GALLOPING at fences at novice...a lot like the hunters...set a nice rhythm and keep it. ;)

:yes::yes::yes:

reay6790
Aug. 3, 2011, 09:04 PM
okay maybe i should have clarified:

i have never jumped him in an open field or let him do much of anything besides walk on trails! weeeenieeeee.

JustABay
Aug. 3, 2011, 11:06 PM
I am currently in-transition, however my guy has taken to it like he was born for it. I haven't shown yet, and am not doing much jumping due to my back injury, but have been fully immersed into flatwork bootcamp....which is hell :( However the improvements in myself and my horse are very dramatic!

I still schooled in my size zips, hunter hair and polo shirts, and until recently ALWAYS tacked up in my half pad, baby pad and martingale with floofy sheepskin girth. :lol: Mr. Pony has gotten a wardrobe overhaul, and now has his Woof boots instead of open fronts, square pad minus the half pad, and no martingale...I really miss my half pad!! :lol: I do draw the line at the crazy colors and patterny stuff...I'm fairly conservative and like matching things :lol:

I am really enjoying the eventing crowd, there's always a cold beer waiting for before or after the ride! PS, the best part? A whole new set of tack to buy!! :D

Catie79
Aug. 5, 2011, 09:01 AM
I still wear my hair over my ears. I've weaned myself off of it a bit just due to heat and rapid tacking, but I do try to make my hair look nice for the dressage phase. I finally got some full seat breeches to show in, but my TS come out for schooling shows and clinics. I bought the darn things, I'm going to wear them until they fall apart. No one's noticed that my dark coat is my hunt coat yet (the plaid on it is very subtle), and so long as I'm playing in the little divisions, I don't think I'll bother with a dressage coat.

Last March I was in Aiken and another adult rider had her hunter with her. This was her vacation, and she wasn't sure what her hot house flower of a mare would do, living out 24/7 and jumping in the open. The mare loved it! It's a great way to add some variety to their routine, and as yellowbritches said, it's not exactly galloping at BN. I nice, steady canter will do you just fine. Think of it as a derby cross. It's more likely to un-fry, so long as you introduce it as a quiet, fun exercise.