PDA

View Full Version : My new OTTB

equinedriver
Aug. 3, 2011, 04:02 PM
Well, he's 17 so hasn't seen a track in a LONG time, but he is tattooed LOL.

I brought home the newest attempt at getting back in the saddle after literally 20 years last night and this one appears to be a keeper. I am a former B pony clubber, but now fat and middle aged (working hard at the fat part so I can event again) can't do anything about the middle aged, that needed a tolerant kind soul to get me going again. I had tried a full draft and a half draft because of my weight, and felt sorry even getting on this guy and expected him to feel like a 2 x 4 but actually he felt quite good and he was much more interested in trotting than I was even after several trots, so the weight must not have been bothering him. He loves his peppermints and a good face rub. Really skinny, they wormed him with Quest in May and he literally almost died, so we have some work to do there, but I should have him fat and shiny within a few months. I may even take him hound walking next week, something I have never done.

They said his teeth were done 6 mos ago, but he is spitting out wads of chewed up hay so I called the dentist today to come and have a look. I stuck my finger in to see what I could tell and all I can say is everything felt VERY smooth. TOO smooth. Hope it is not an issue.

His legs are absolutely clean. Not a splint, wind puff etc to be found. He does toe out a scary amount behind, and of course has very small feet compared to what I am used to, but is suppose to be absolutely sound with no issues so will assume that is true. He is retiring from a high school equestrian team that has lost some funding and they are being forced to cut back on their horses. The video showed him at Popular Place this spring packing a kid who didn't ride very well over the log into the water, over the ditch, up the banks etc on a completely loopy rein at a very nice lope so I figured he should be able to do the job for me VBG.

I felt kind of bad, the coach and the kids were crying when they loaded him on the trailer.

Fractious Fox
Aug. 3, 2011, 04:36 PM
Congratulations on your new boy! He sounds like he will be a great match for you, especially once you get him back on the road to perfect health!

GingerJumper
Aug. 3, 2011, 04:40 PM
Congratulations on the new boy :)

Mtn trails
Aug. 3, 2011, 04:52 PM
congratulations. Any pictures?

kcmel
Aug. 3, 2011, 06:14 PM
So glad he found a great home. Enjoy him!

Lisa Preston
Aug. 3, 2011, 06:17 PM
Exciting!

That tattoo...starts with an X? (I've a 17 yo OTTB, too.)

equinedriver
Aug. 4, 2011, 11:38 AM
I haven't looked at the tattoo, I'll have a look when the dentist is here this afternoon.

His name is Award Night, by Academy Award. His USEA name is Ringo Star.

I rode him again this morning and cantered for the first time in 20 years. He was again a star.

Now if I can just figure out what is going on with his mouth that he really can't chew hay very well, we are good to go. I really don't want a hay cube only kind of guy..........

3dazey
Aug. 4, 2011, 11:50 AM
I really like Award Night for a name. ;)

scubed
Aug. 4, 2011, 12:11 PM
Yup, 17 year old, and did race much even back in the day: http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pedigree.cfm?page_state=ORDER_AND_CONFIRM&reference_number=1456392