PDA

View Full Version : My new OTTB

equinedriver
Aug. 3, 2011, 02:36 PM
Well, I brought home the newest attempt at getting back in the saddle after literally 20 years last night and this one appears to be a keeper. I am a former B pony clubber, but now fat and middle aged (working hard at the fat part so I can event again) can't do anything about the middle aged that needed a tolerant kind soul to get me going again. I had tried a full draft and a half draft because of my weight, and felt sorry even getting on this guy and expected him to feel like a 2 x 4 but actually he felt quite good and he was much more interested in trotting than I was even after several trots, so the weight must not have been bothering him. He loves his peppermints and a good face rub. Really skinny, they wormed him with Quest in May and he literally almost died, so we have some work to do there, but I should have him fat and shiny within a few months. I may even take him hound walking next week, something I have never done. He's tattooed, but from what I can tell, never won any money if he raced at all.

Xctrygirl
Aug. 3, 2011, 02:53 PM
Whats his name???

And Congrats!!!!

~Emily

moonriverfarm
Aug. 3, 2011, 02:59 PM
Well, that is just awesome!! OTTBs are the BEST and I am happy for you and for your new pony!! I too am middle aged and not as skinny as I once was (ha ha) and my OTTB packs me around like nobodys business. Happy trails to you!

danceronice
Aug. 3, 2011, 04:34 PM
I swore up and down after the one I had as a kid (not bad, just more horse than I was ready for when we got him) no more OTTBs. When I decided to buy a horse again, guess what I got?

What's your boy's name? And yes, sometimes they're scruffy-looking for a while. It gets better. (Then you can whine about sunbleaching. Lucky's a BLOOD bay, I swear..not burnt toast brown.)

equinedriver
Aug. 4, 2011, 10:43 AM
His JC name is Award Night, by Academy Award. I'll get some pictures later today.

Dentist/vet coming this afternoon. He is having great difficulty eating hay. Chews and chews and then at least half the time, a big wad will fall out of his mouth after he acts somewhat like it is stuck..........they said they had had his teeth done about 6 mos ago but we shall see. When I stuck my hand in everything feels VERY smooth, so I am hoping someone didn't take a power grinder to him and smooth him to the point where he can't chew things up...........I really am concerned he may be a hay cube guy and I don't know if I can afford that.

On a good note, i rode him for the second time today and cantered. On purpose. LOL. He picked it right up, and actually it was probably better than trotting. he was a star again.

Marjean

Xctrygirl
Aug. 4, 2011, 10:52 AM
Wow 17 years young. Good for you!

Funny how in my OTTB implies youth. Though I know logically it doesn't absolutely mean that.

Well hopefully the dentist will have some relief for him. Senior horses teeth are very crucial to attend to.

~Emily

Heart's Journey
Aug. 4, 2011, 12:09 PM
And a grandson of Secretariat....

johnnysauntie
Aug. 4, 2011, 12:23 PM
I found my way back into the saddle after a 20 year hiatus on the backs of some OTTBs, and one of them became my first horse. Now I swear they are the only breed for me. Beauty, athleticism, tons of try and they really like their people. Marvelous critters, OTTBs. :D

equinedriver
Aug. 6, 2011, 07:56 PM
I had the good dentist here come and work on his teeth. Went for a third ride today and he was definitely more energetic but still a good boy. If someone will tell me how to attach pictures, I took a few today.

Xctrygirl
Aug. 6, 2011, 08:16 PM
EquineDriver:

You can upload the pics to a online photo gallery like Flickr, Picassa or Photobucket and then share the link here.

:)

We'd all LOVE to see the grand guy!!

~Emily

equinedriver
Aug. 6, 2011, 10:16 PM
http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z339/marjeanmcintyre/

I uploaded them to photobucket, but it doesn't appear to have come through as a live link............. I guess copy and paste.