PDA

View Full Version : Freestyle: shoulder in on the diagonal?

flyracing
Aug. 3, 2011, 02:45 PM
I am considering doing shoulder in to renver on the diagonal for a 2nd level freestyle. Has anyone done this or seen it done. My horse gets 8's on the lateral work and it is clear what we are performing on the diagonal. There just seems to be so little variety in the 2nd level freestyles.

Thoughts?

dudleyc
Aug. 3, 2011, 03:11 PM
I don't think you should do this on the diagonal as it could look like half-pass and you are not allowed to do movements above your level. If your lateral work is really good and you want to show it off, put it on the centerline and ride right towards the judge.

flyracing
Aug. 3, 2011, 03:29 PM
F-X shoulder in left, X-H renver left

Could not be interpreted as halfpass :)

mjhco
Aug. 3, 2011, 03:31 PM
Should not and IS not may or may not be the same thing.

Having scribed a great deal at C (and other positions) I have learned it is NOT a good idea to do a required movement in a freestyle in any position / orientation that leaves ANY doubt as to what the movement is.

A ZERO for a required movement can really hurt a score.

But, do what you want to do. Let the judges give you feedback.

AllWeatherGal
Aug. 3, 2011, 03:40 PM
I have to echo mjhco here ... freestyles can be really tricky to evaluate and you don't want the judge to be confused about ANYTHING. Symmetry makes many of them very happy :)

If you can get someone to video the freestyle before you do it for competition, you can see for yourself if there's an ambiguity.

I've occasionally asked judges why a difficulty score is so low when the ride was quite complex. The answer I got was that it only counts when it works.

alibi_18
Aug. 3, 2011, 04:05 PM
I wouldn't.

There is no way a judge can see properly the movements from that angle.

Do your shoulder in or renvers on the center or quarter line.

You could do the SI on a half 20m circle, facing the judge.

Rhiannonjk
Aug. 3, 2011, 04:43 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking that while it may be more difficult on the diagonal, if you are doing it really well, the judge doesn't see that on the diagonal. I agree with the idea to do it on the CL if you have a really great SI/Renvers. Then the judge can see how nice it is, and score appropriately.

Lost_at_C
Aug. 3, 2011, 06:10 PM
It may very well look like you are trying to disguise weaknesses in your lateral movements by putting them on the diagonal where the judge can't see them clearly. Having said that, kudos to you for trying to inject some originality - keep thinking and I'm sure you can come up with something stunning!

mickeydoodle
Aug. 3, 2011, 11:42 PM
Having scribed for a zillion freestyles- training to CDI GP, I would say that while doing this movement on the diagonal is original and interesting, it can be very hard for a judge at C, or H or B, for that matter, to know exactly what you are doing. I would suggest doing it on the quarter line, or center line, towards the judge at C, they can see your intent (and your execution) and give marks for difficulty- just my 2 cents