PDA

View Full Version : Dressage Chic: My fashion report from CDI Pompadour, France

tm
Aug. 3, 2011, 12:51 PM
Some really interesting jackets to be seen in France:

The blog (http://terrimiller.wordpress.com/)
The Dressage Chic photo gallery. (http://terrimiller.exposuremanager.com/g/dressage_chic)
The rest of the Pompadour CDI photos. (http://terrimiller.exposuremanager.com/g/pompadour_france_2011)

Ibex
Aug. 3, 2011, 12:54 PM
Loved the brown and grey coats, but what's with the bows in the back and those contrasting elbow patches??? :dead:

SillyHorse
Aug. 3, 2011, 12:54 PM
I am swooning over the first photo, grey horse, grey jacket. Ooh la la!

2tempe
Aug. 3, 2011, 12:59 PM
Loved the brown and grey coats, but what's with the bows in the back and those contrasting elbow patches??? :dead:

HA! I was just going to type the exact same thing...:eek:

But then I've never been a bow kinda girl. And somehow patches and "tails" do not go together. Patches are for casual clothes or when you actually want to cover holes in your jeans or something...

tm
Aug. 3, 2011, 01:00 PM
The contrasting patches/bow was not my favorite. I sure liked the jacket fabric, though - I don't know if it shows in the photos, but it's got a very subtle dark on dark pinstripe in it.

suzy
Aug. 3, 2011, 01:20 PM
Another thumbs up on the gray jacket. And thumbs down on elbow patches. Jury is still out on the bow.

SillyHorse
Aug. 3, 2011, 01:32 PM
Oh, and Terri, thank you for doing this awful job. You are selfless.

tm
Aug. 3, 2011, 01:39 PM
Hey, someone has to watch all that dressage and sample all that French wine! :lol:

mjhco
Aug. 3, 2011, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the great pics. I love the different fabrics. Don't like the elbow patches.

And I love the look of gray on gray. (Same color as my old saddleseat tux I showed my gray park horse in... Still have the matching gray top hat. )

Manni01
Aug. 3, 2011, 02:38 PM
Thank you for the pics and the report!!!

Stratosphere
Aug. 3, 2011, 02:56 PM
Great photos - and I love the grey on grey as well.

Also - I love your blog, Terri, I'm bookmarking that for sure! Headed to Lisbon in October for a quick trip "on our way" to a friend's wedding in Berlin, and now I wish we could extend our time in Portugal!

Rhiannonjk
Aug. 3, 2011, 03:48 PM
I think the bow gives the shad a nice feminine touch. I'm not so much a fan of the contrasting bow - it sort of detracts from the overall picture - like "What is that white thing doing there?"

I'm undecided on the elbow patches. I wonder all the implications they would have on the visual effect of the rider's position? I know that at that level you aren't going to have chicken wing elbows - but if they became a fad at the lower levels?

rprincess73
Aug. 3, 2011, 03:51 PM
The BROWN and the Navy Blue caught my eye! The fabrics - decadent!! The black is nice...but not digging the elbow patches.

I'm with the majority...jury is out on the "bows".

Terri - GORGEOUS photos! Many thanks for sharing! I'm off to read your blog:)

Rhiannonjk
Aug. 3, 2011, 03:56 PM
I just have this mental picture of putting a bow on the back of a short jacket, then putting it on, and having a big fat ribbon flopping on my butt as I walk around the show grounds.

... because I walk around the show grounds in my show jacket ALL THE TIME, but still, in this mental picture, I do, and I have a big bow on my big butt and it looks like it came straight from a horrible bridesmaids gown.

(yet still... I kinda want a bow.)

Velvet
Aug. 3, 2011, 04:14 PM
Elbow patches and bows are just TOO fashion victim. I think they look fussy and cheap. So did the vest points. :no:

Arizona DQ
Aug. 3, 2011, 04:22 PM
I just have this mental picture of putting a bow on the back of a short jacket, then putting it on, and having a big fat ribbon flopping on my butt as I walk around the show grounds. (yet still... I kinda want a bow.)

Some how when I see the "butt" bow my mind goes to the Bunny tail of Playboy fame...... :lol:

carolprudm
Aug. 3, 2011, 04:38 PM
Loved the brown and grey coats, but what's with the bows in the back and those contrasting elbow patches??? :dead:yup, ewwwww, and what's with the fabric in the jackets? they look rumpled

Lost_at_C
Aug. 3, 2011, 05:08 PM
Sorry, I think those bows are hideous. I can just about stomach the elbow patches, but then I'm surrounded by them daily in my stuffy-academic line of work so I guess I don't notice so much! But seriously, those bows are some weird combination of saddleseat showbiz and something that appeared on flouncy bedding sets in the 80s.

mbm
Aug. 3, 2011, 05:16 PM
in a word: yuk

honeylips
Aug. 3, 2011, 05:30 PM
I picked up a Cavallo brown pinstripe jacket in Germany this spring and just showed in it also wearing a brown velvet Charles Owen helmet. I got a lot of compliments on the combo on the brown pony!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=251621698197713&set=a.250750221618194.80221.100000496538704&type=1

alto
Aug. 3, 2011, 06:04 PM
:cry: Facebook claimed to be "unavailable"

Puddin Pie
Aug. 3, 2011, 06:20 PM
I went to the Felix Bueller mega store outside of Zurich last week while visiting a friend. Based on how she had gushed about how fabulous a store it was (and it was indeed fabulous), I was hoping to find one of the awesome grey coats-they had a few, but they were there lower end stuff, and it did not look good on the hanger and did not drape well on the body-a bit too flimsy. I was disappointed.

I did see some Pfif breeches at Qualihorse with her-she now has instructions to find a retail outlet in Germany and see if she can find a cheaper pair for me-as the Swiss franc is strong against the Euro right now.

paulaedwina
Aug. 3, 2011, 06:54 PM
I like the tone on tone bow, but not the contrasting bow. I think the elbow patches are too busy. I thought the grey on grey was adorable.

Paula

horsey1cr
Aug. 3, 2011, 07:59 PM
Thanks for posting! Those jackets are hideous but to each his/her own...:yes:

Covergirl15
Aug. 3, 2011, 10:29 PM
I think I'm with everyone else. Love love love the gray with the gray horse, and I like the piping, but I think the bows and the elbow patches are a bit too much. But thank you very much for posting! :)

MyssMyst
Aug. 3, 2011, 10:57 PM
Love the gray jacket, puke from the bows/elbow patches. It's like revenge of the prom dress.

InWhyCee Redux
Aug. 3, 2011, 11:45 PM
Oh-la-la, what a fabulous blog! However, that opening pic--if you're goingbto shell out for a fabulous tone-on-tone pinstripe coat, PLEASE get some professional help on the hair. Or any help, from anyone. ;)

Trixie's mom
Aug. 4, 2011, 02:24 AM
OMG, Redux...I totally agree, being a bit of a Bun Freak I can't stand to see BAD HAIR on an otherwise well-dressed rider....

HollysHobbies
Aug. 5, 2011, 07:55 PM
Love the low rise, dark points. That'd be a fun place for a *little* subtle color.

I'm afraid all those coats would be challenged here...one-at-a-time until they are grandfathered into the USDF rulebook one- at-a-time. They seem much less "stick in the mudish" in Europe with dressage fashion. No knickers in a bunch over a zipped coat.

My trainer wore her softshell Kerrits coat and nearly had her scores tossed by the Dressage at Lex TD. Luckily, the show organizer overruled it, but it scared me. I've been wearing that coat all year.

...here's my girl and I in the offending piece ;) AVERT your EYES! It's too radical!!!
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-QqFaI84rPYE/Ti1jo8Y1M_I/AAAAAAAAAC8/dWmXifqip8g/s1600/ReeseMidA2011.jpg

Wish I'd seen a few more helmets, but to each their own.

DutchDressageQueen
Aug. 5, 2011, 08:23 PM
I love the coats! I just wish different colored coats were allowed here. I'd definitely go for a grey shadbelly coat!