PDA

View Full Version : Micklem bridle - how should the "chin strap" fit?

GreyDes
Aug. 3, 2011, 11:42 AM
So, after reading the great reviews on the Micklem, I bought one for my Arab. However, after trying it on, I'm not sure it's going to work for him.

The "chin strap" (piece that replaced the thoatlatch on a conventional bridle) is super tight under his jaw. I can barely get my finger under it, and I certainly can't get two. Does anyone know how tight this piece is supposed to be? I'm thinking "not this tight", but it's pretty hard to tell from the Micklem video and photos.

This bridle is a cob size. It seems to fit everywhere else on the tightest hole, so while I could possibly go down to a pony size, there's no way I could go up to to a horse size on him.

He's got a typical Arab head - huge brow, big jowl, little nose. He's typically between a pony and a cob bridle, depending on the brand, but always needs at least a cob and sometimes a horse browband.

Thanks all!

Mudroom
Aug. 3, 2011, 03:11 PM
have you looked at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxO5PaHmdXo

for jaw strap he says "no real tension" - "should be easy to put your hand in there"

GingerJumper
Aug. 3, 2011, 03:42 PM
Where do you have it fitted on him? It should be right in front of the jaw, and loose enough that you can stick a few fingers in it.

William Ireland
Aug. 3, 2011, 04:24 PM
This bridle is my invention so I am pleased to give you the accurate information regarding the fitting.

The upper back strap should fit 'flush' to the skin, so you don't have it so loose that you can fit fingers in like a traditional throat latch. A little tension should be there. This does not cause any discomfort and it means the bridle does not move around. You will still be able to stand in front of your horse and put your hands under the cheek pieces and they will move out easily, showing that there is no cranked tight feeling as with flash nosebands and tight cavesson nosebands.

The secret of fitting it is to have the front nose piece high enough. The diagonal side pieces of the bridle will be very close to the end of the protruding cheek bones. A number of people say the bottom back strap is too long but this is usually because it is fitted too low.

I have yet to find a horse that cannot be fitted comfortably so if any one is unsure send me a pic of how you are fitting it and I will respond immediately.... william@enniskerry.net

It is a wonderful bridle and the multibridle is also a wonderful lunge cavesson but for it to work properly the top back strap needs to be fitted flush to the skin as though you were laying your hand securely on the skin with no daylight and no tickling light touch!

Napoles
Aug. 3, 2011, 04:42 PM
Straight from the horse's mouth as it were! :)

GingerJumper
Aug. 3, 2011, 05:07 PM
This bridle is my invention so I am pleased to give you the accurate information regarding the fitting.

The upper back strap should fit 'flush' to the skin, so you don't have it so loose that you can fit fingers in like a traditional throat latch. A little tension should be there. This does not cause any discomfort and it means the bridle does not move around. You will still be able to stand in front of your horse and put your hands under the cheek pieces and they will move out easily, showing that there is no cranked tight feeling as with flash nosebands and tight cavesson nosebands.

The secret of fitting it is to have the front nose piece high enough. The diagonal side pieces of the bridle will be very close to the end of the protruding cheek bones. A number of people say the bottom back strap is too long but this is usually because it is fitted too low.

I have yet to find a horse that cannot be fitted comfortably so if any one is unsure send me a pic of how you are fitting it and I will respond immediately.... william@enniskerry.net

It is a wonderful bridle and the multibridle is also a wonderful lunge cavesson but for it to work properly the top back strap needs to be fitted flush to the skin as though you were laying your hand securely on the skin with no daylight and no tickling light touch!

Forget my explanation, I'd go with his :D

canterhavenfarm
Aug. 3, 2011, 06:35 PM
Not to hi-jack this thread but I got my Micklem a week ago. Been using it and really like it. Even wrote a blog about it! http://www.barnmice.com/profiles/blogs/used-my-micklem-bridle-for-the

Then I found this thread and now I have a question. I watched the how to put together video and learned that the crown, I put on backwards. I just got home and grabbed the instructions and sure enough, I put the crown on backwards with that protruding part facing forward, towards horses face. So I just changed it to where the protruding part faces the withers, BUT there is an arrow on the top of the crown that says Front and now it is pointing towards the withers. To me Front would be the front of the horse. So is this arrow wrong or is my idea of what is the front of the horse different? Or is Front considered the closest end to the rider when on the horse?

GreyDes
Aug. 3, 2011, 10:14 PM
William - Wow! Thanks so much for the info. And great timing. I literally had the bridle packed up to ship back and return it, thinking it wouldn't work.

So it sounds like the upper back, aka "chin" strap is okay, and snug is correct. Here's my next question - I watched the video where you showed that the nose band should be a hand and a half from the nostrils. I'm just a little low (no more than an inch) in the tightest hole.

Am I better off punching an extra hole in the cheek pieces, or exchanging it for a pony size? My concern going down to the pony size is that if the upper back strap is snug now on the largest hole, if it's any shorter I don't think I'll be able to buckle it. I can take a photo of the bridle on if that helps.

Thanks again!

Big_Grey_hunter
Aug. 3, 2011, 10:30 PM
GreyDe- I found the hand and a half thing didn't work on my cob sized horse, it put the nose band to high up. Instead I used the other tips, such as where the the nasal bones ended and where the bottom of the cheek bone. This ended up working much better for my horse

GreyDes
Aug. 4, 2011, 06:48 AM
Big Grey - Thanks! I'll try that tonight.