PDA

View Full Version : RIP Woodburn

Trak_Eventer
Aug. 3, 2011, 12:08 PM
http://eventingnation.com/home/2011/08/post-57.html

Such a sad loss for TPF and the whole eventing world. What a cool horse he was :(

GingerJumper
Aug. 3, 2011, 12:09 PM
Rest in peace Woodburn :( Jingles to everyone involved, what a tragic loss :(

monstrpony
Aug. 3, 2011, 12:12 PM
Wow, how very sad. A significant loss for eventing. Condolences to all of his many connections, but especially to PD.

PonyGal08
Aug. 3, 2011, 12:13 PM
Damn. Prayers to all of his connections. This has been a sad year for eventers. :(

fooler
Aug. 3, 2011, 12:17 PM
Condolences for the TPF team.

Agree it has been a rough year

JER
Aug. 3, 2011, 12:20 PM
Very sad to see this.

Condolences to all at TPF.

hightide
Aug. 3, 2011, 12:21 PM
Oh no. :( So sorry to hear this. RIP Woodburn, he was such a joy to watch on XC, just devoured all the fences.
Thoughts to TPF and Phillip. So sad.

CMCEventer
Aug. 3, 2011, 12:24 PM
Phillip has a really touching note up on his website.

http://phillipdutton.com/index.php

caffeinated
Aug. 3, 2011, 12:26 PM
Damn. That really, really sucks. He was one of my favorite horses to watch. :(

Fred
Aug. 3, 2011, 12:30 PM
Very sad news. My condolences to all who love him.

scubed
Aug. 3, 2011, 12:33 PM
RIP Woodburn. Thoughts with all those in his circle for their loss.

mustangsal85
Aug. 3, 2011, 12:34 PM
Omg. I'm teary... I loved this horse. He had the most amazing gallop... just, effortless. And he was an OTTB. RIP and jingles for Phillip and all of Woodburn's connections. Awful, awful, awful.

FairWeather
Aug. 3, 2011, 12:34 PM
Crippity Crap. Definitely gone too soon.

Lisa Preston
Aug. 3, 2011, 12:37 PM
Never had a XC fault! Never is a large word. Poor... everyone involved.

What in the world made his spleen bleed?

EquineLVR
Aug. 3, 2011, 12:46 PM
what a tragic loss.. my sincere condolences to everyone involved.

Godspeed Woodburn - there are many greats to meet you on the rainbow bridge..

RIP.

Hollywood
Aug. 3, 2011, 12:49 PM
Wow, what a very sad day. My thoughts and prayers to the team that loved and supported this horse, he was amazing.

snoopy
Aug. 3, 2011, 12:52 PM
Very sad indeed. I have long maintained that he was the best event horse in the USA.

FlightCheck
Aug. 3, 2011, 12:59 PM
Photos never could show how magnificent this horse was "in person".

LLDM
Aug. 3, 2011, 01:02 PM
My deepest condolences to all his connections. What a truly great horse and what an incredible loss for all of us.

SCFarm

eventer@heart
Aug. 3, 2011, 01:04 PM
http://www.useventing.com/aboutus.php?id=2918

So very sad. Sympathy to all.

ddashaq
Aug. 3, 2011, 01:11 PM
So sad. Thoughts are with all of his people.:(

TheBrightSide06
Aug. 3, 2011, 01:17 PM
It's hard to believe that such an incredible horse could be gone just like that :(

But I'll bet he's up there grazing next to other eventing legends, sharing stories of Rolex and the like.

He will be missed

RIP Woodburn

bornfreenowexpensive
Aug. 3, 2011, 01:25 PM
RIP Woodburn. Thoughts with all those in his circle for their loss.

ditto. I'm at a loss for words.

ctanner
Aug. 3, 2011, 01:39 PM
So sorry to hear this sad news. My sympathies to all who cared and loved him if only from afar.

2ndyrgal
Aug. 3, 2011, 01:41 PM
Damn shame.

At Rolex, I used to purposely stand right next to the galloping lane as it went uphill, to make sure I saw him, just to watch that effortless, fluid, stride. His muscles rippled like hot silk, and Phillip just floated and flew along with him.

It says much of Phillip that he considered him not only the best cross country horse he'd ever ride, but a partner.

I'm sure his groom is beyond consolation at this point. My prayer is that both she and Phillip will find another as worthy of their love and trust.

Anyone else with a mental image of him galloping along next to the biggest little chestnut pony there ever was?

shea'smom
Aug. 3, 2011, 01:52 PM
I'm with you. I was already thinking of Teddy, gone too soon.
Damn it all.

SevenDogs
Aug. 3, 2011, 01:58 PM
Deepest condolences to Emma, Phillip, and all Woodburn's people. Sad times for the TPF family -- wishing them better times ahead.

Eventcrazy
Aug. 3, 2011, 02:01 PM
RIP Woodburn:(

ezmissg
Aug. 3, 2011, 02:08 PM
I am physically sickened to hear this.

Prayers to everyone associated with this AMAZING horse.

I cannot fathom how much the TPF Team wants this year to be over. :cry:

Carol Ames
Aug. 3, 2011, 02:14 PM
He made cross country "beautiful;) to watch:cool: !Sincerest condolences to all:cry:

Carol Ames
Aug. 3, 2011, 02:17 PM
Damn shame.

At Rolex, I used to purposely stand right next to the galloping lane as it went uphill, to make sure I saw him, just to watch that effortless, fluid, stride. His muscles rippled like hot silk, and Phillip just floated and flew along with him.

It says much of Phillip that he considered him not only the best cross country horse he'd ever ride, but a partner.

I'm sure his groom is beyond consolation at this point. My prayer is that both she and Phillip will find another as worthy of their love and trust.

Anyone else with a mental image of him galloping along next to the biggest little chestnut pony there ever was? and following along is Charisma:cool:, what a string of horses;)!

VCT
Aug. 3, 2011, 02:20 PM
Rest in Peace Woodburn :cry:

Carol Ames
Aug. 3, 2011, 02:21 PM
:cry::cry::(:sadsmile::cry:May the tears be changed to tears of joy:cry: for having known such a horse :yes:and the many lessons he taught be used with other:cool: horses

amastrike
Aug. 3, 2011, 02:24 PM
What a tragedy.. there are no words. Godspeed Woodburn and my thoughts are with Phillip and all Woodburn's connections.

Carol Ames
Aug. 3, 2011, 02:28 PM
It's hard to believe that such an incredible horse could be gone just like that :(

But I'll bet he's up there grazing next to other eventing legends, sharing stories of Rolex and the like.

He will be missed

RIP Woodburn

Life is indeed fragile:eek:/ fleeting, isn't it? Let this be in us a reminder to tell today all those in our life that we love:yes: them and how important they are to us, 2 AND 4leggeds:cool: , we never know, how long we have with them with us in this dimension:no:

TarheelJD
Aug. 3, 2011, 02:31 PM
What a tragic losss - Godspeed Woodburn. My heart goes out to all the members of his team.

It's been a rough year for the eventing community. :(

vineyridge
Aug. 3, 2011, 02:47 PM
He truly was exceptional.
He was pure TB and shows again that there is still a place at the top for purebred ex-racers. As far as I can figure from the NZ TB studbook, his registered name was Dan's Choice. He had 4 starts and placed during his track career in NZ.

Just as an aside, every single horse name (sire, dam, damsire) is misspelled in his FEI records.

Lori T
Aug. 3, 2011, 03:17 PM
I am deeply saddened by Phillip's loss. What a tragedy. My sincerest condolences to Phillip and his team.

eventerwannabe
Aug. 3, 2011, 03:20 PM
I was really looking forward to seeing him at Richland. So so sad.:no:

kookicat
Aug. 3, 2011, 03:22 PM
So sad. :( My thoughts to all of his people.

runnyjump
Aug. 3, 2011, 04:30 PM
Just too sad. There are never words to express a loss like this or to console those who were closest to him. Godspeed, Woodburn.

CANTEREOIN
Aug. 3, 2011, 06:48 PM
He was one of my favorites to watch... Rest in Peace Woodburn! Sending jingles and loving energy to the family he leaves here on earth!

retreadeventer
Aug. 3, 2011, 07:00 PM
This has been a tough year for a lot of my friends with some really big losses, and some large holes to fill. This news touches us all, not only because Woodburn was a phenomenal event horse, but because he was also a leading Olympic partner for Phillip, too.

I'm going to paraphrase a bit here from a card I received from a friend a long while ago, these are his words, changed a bit but I thought it might fit:

"Beyond that, my heart is bleeding for the True Prospect team. I would like to tell Emma to stop crying, and look up. He's there, and he is with the others who are in no pain, and are galloping in heaven. There will be other horses and there are some really fine ones right now in the barn that need you.

Some may be as good as Woodburn, you never know, you can't tell the future. Do the best you can to look forward and not back, do not look in his empty stall, it will not comfort you. Wash and clean his things, and pack them away, you can take them out and look at them another day and you'll remember this horse with happiness and not sadness."

It will be a day, long ahead of us, that we can look back, and say, "yes, he was a good one", and know there were others that were good, too, since him and after him. We have to smile and try to put one foot in front of the other. Things will look up, you'll see.

:)

CookiePony
Aug. 3, 2011, 07:01 PM
So very, very sad... condolences to all who loved him.

Pippigirl
Aug. 3, 2011, 07:56 PM
How very sad :( My condolences to everyone at TPF

columbus
Aug. 3, 2011, 08:37 PM
http://www.pedigreequery.com/woodburn5

columbus
Aug. 3, 2011, 08:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj2CZCWmNRU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH3sWyx5Wro&feature=related

columbus
Aug. 3, 2011, 08:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIV0znxaZGc&feature=related

ltmac
Aug. 3, 2011, 10:31 PM
Phillip's farewell note brought tears to my eyes. My condolences to all on the loss of such an amazing horse.

OverandOnward
Aug. 3, 2011, 10:40 PM
He will be greatly missed. One of my very favorite eventing horses of all time. He is galloping across the stars now ...

FLeckenAwesome
Aug. 3, 2011, 11:12 PM
Adding my condolences and prayers. How very sad... RIP and Godspeed Woodburn!

Larbear
Aug. 4, 2011, 08:12 AM
So very sad :( adding my condolences as well...

pony grandma
Aug. 4, 2011, 10:14 AM

I keep coming back to this post. It really paints a word picture that makes my heart soar knowing what a true 'Rolex gallop' must feel like and then my eyes tear. I can imagine him with wings now.

so sorry for the loss - greatness is so elusive we have to steel ourselves to realize that the moments are temporary and that they will be memories right after they happen. Then we live forward with the gratitude that we got to have that time and connection. It in no way lessens the grief tho. :cry:

Carol Ames
Aug. 4, 2011, 03:44 PM
Evermoreso

Life is indeed fragile:eek:/ fleeting, isn't it? Let this be in us a reminder to tell today all those in our life that we love:yes: them and how important they are to us, 2 AND 4leggeds:cool: , we never know, how long we have with them with us in this dimension:no:

Auburn
Aug. 4, 2011, 03:50 PM
My heart goes out to those at TPF. They have had more than their share of tragedy this year.

Woodburn, rest in peace. Prayers for everyone who is dealing with his loss.

annikak
Aug. 4, 2011, 08:12 PM
Unbelievable sad sad news. He was such a joy to watch run. Jimmys quote, I am sure, applied to him as he was a great one.

EventingDivas
Aug. 5, 2011, 02:39 AM
RIP Woodburn. He truely was an exceptional horse. :'(