PDA

View Full Version : Barns near(ish) to DC

SnowFalen
Aug. 2, 2011, 10:50 PM
Hi all,

I am moving to the DC area in September and need to find a place to board my mare. We mainly do dressage with a little jumping to keep her fresh, but it seems the dressage oriented barns are quite a distance from where I will be living in DC.

I can sacrifice the "dressage atmosphere" to have my horse closer to me. If anyone can recommend any good barns (maybe with an open stall) that are near-ish to Crystal City, I'd really appreciate it.

I will be up in about two weeks and plan on checking some places out, so anything that is nice and that you think might be around (or under) an hour's commute would be much appreciated.

Thank you so much!

Aussie08
Aug. 3, 2011, 06:17 AM
I was just reading the thread about the new pinney's and noticed Asterix listed Washington, DC as their location. Maybe you could message them and they could give you some advice.

Good luck!

horsetales
Aug. 3, 2011, 07:58 AM
You can look up boarding places in MD at http://equiery.com/ridingBoardingStables.php
I know more about places in Montgomery County MD than Crystal City

asterix
Aug. 3, 2011, 08:33 AM
Asterix, alas, knows more about barns in MD than in VA, and I think from Crystal City you will want to focus on VA.

The thing of it in DC is the traffic -- looking on a map does not help as much as you think in terms of what the real commute will be.

I board at Waredaca, which is one of several places in upper Montgomery County that might suit you -- it's more of an eventer barn, but we have 2 FEI dressage instructors who come regularly, we have a very nice and non-crowded indoor, bluestone dressage pad, etc.

There are probably also some places in Prince George's County, out by the PG Equestrian Center, southeast of town, that would work.

But I suspect that in rush hour you don't want to try and get either of those areas.

VA peeps?

IronwoodFarm
Aug. 3, 2011, 09:04 AM
Crystal City is a concrete, urban area of Arlington County. Look west and south in Virginia for a barn. Don't expect "nearish" and expect to drive a good bit in traffic. Also, since you are coming in 2 weeks time, please be aware that August is a very light traffic month in DC. Congress tends to recess, people go on vacation, etc. Then everyone comes back with a vengence post Labor Day, most schools start and traffic hell returns. So what looks to be 1 hour in August can be much, much longer.

GotSpots
Aug. 3, 2011, 09:21 AM
There've been a ton of threads on DC area barns - do a search and they should pop up. Lots of options depending on where you live, work, how long you want your commute to be, how much you want to spend, what kind of trainer you want access to, etc. On the VA side, I've had horses in Middleburg, Upperville, and Aldie, and much prefer Aldie for ease of commute (35 minutes no traffic, up to about an hour after work), but Middleburg isn't too bad. A lot will depend on when you're trying to ride - I find it easier to ride before work and then hit 66 just as all the lanes open but that's always traffic variable, and requires having some flexibility on when you get into the office.

gottagrey
Aug. 3, 2011, 03:25 PM
From Crystal City barns in MD just across the River (Wilson Bridge/PG County or American Legion Bridge/Mont County) will over the best commute. She'd have to battle NOVA traffic to outsite the Beltway then 66 (UGH currently worst road ever) or Toll Road.. The construction that is between 66 and Tysons Corner on the Beltway is crazy. That's my two cents.

There are plenty of good bars going out either River Road to Poolesville or out Rt 28 going towards Barnesville, Boyds & Dickerson - most within an hour +- driver from Crystal City. Shoot just on Bucklodge Road alone there are 3 nice boarding facilities, just off Bucklodge on Slidell is Moon Rising, further out is Mountain View, Two Sisters, Sugarloaf, and Good News.. Those 8 facilities are 2-10 minutes from each other.

Oh and welcome to the area! Crystal City is a pretty cool area - lots of revitalization going on there - good mall w/ major stores, some great restaurants - about 3 minutes from DC for more nightlife and not too far from Old Town Alexandria. Is it pretty much of a concrete jungle though

Lori B
Aug. 3, 2011, 03:37 PM
I think that some kind soul should search the DC area boarding threads and edit them together into some basic points and ask the mods to post it as a sticky. It comes up every few weeks like clockwork.

Sonoma City
Aug. 3, 2011, 04:21 PM
Are you working and living in Crystal City? What will your normal work hours be? Depending on where you will mostly be driving from and at what time, it can make a big difference of what barns would be viable options.

gottagrey
Aug. 3, 2011, 04:26 PM
I think that some kind soul should search the DC area boarding threads and edit them together into some basic points and ask the mods to post it as a sticky. It comes up every few weeks like clockwork.

Brilliant idea :yes:

morning glory
Aug. 3, 2011, 04:40 PM
as someone who used to work in crystal city and commute to a barn in haymarket (via 66W) every day, let me just recommend that you not board out in northern VA if you can avoid it. i ended up moving to a barn in centreville, va, not long after starting that job and it was a little more bearable, but 66 is just a painful experience. it was a solid 45 minutes to centreville on a good day, and that was if i could leave work before the HOV restrictions on 66 started and traffic was moving.

depending where you're living and what your work hours will be, i'd look into eastern MD. i haven't done that commute, but i imagine it would be easier (and other posters seem to be backing that assumption up).

JenEM
Aug. 3, 2011, 04:52 PM
I live in the Bailey's/Seven Corners area, and found though experience, that it is much, much easier commute-wise to have my horse in MD than in VA. The drive out 66 or 50 to Aldie/The Plains was soul-sucking; milage-wise, it's a bit farther up to Montgomery County, but I'm much, much happier driving up there. (I'm at Southwind, in Damascus, where we have a nice mix of eventers and dressage folks.)

Then again, when you're commuting can make a difference. Are you working 9-5? Flex time? College student who can get out at "off" hours? I work a night shift, and schedule my barn time around good traffic times :)

SnowFalen
Aug. 4, 2011, 05:47 PM
Thank you so much for all the advice and suggestions. I apologize for asking the same question again. I originally did a search but only under the Dressage forum since that is the style of barn I initially wanted to be at. But once I realized how many barns there are and how all over they are, I realized not knowing the area, that I'm in way over my head, lol, and thought I'd try to get a more precise answer and look at barns other than dressage ones.

Again, I really appreciate everyone's time!