PDA

View Full Version : Sorry, One more saddle thread.

cheektwocheek
Aug. 2, 2011, 07:50 AM
Heck, I just can't find the right saddle. Just bought a lovely Kieffer Aachen off Ebay, doesn't quite fit the shark withers. More saddle suggestions, please.:winkgrin: I Never realized high withers would be such a pain to fit, literally. This is starting to cost me a small fortune, the trials, shipping costs & purchases. I now have more saddles than bits and nothing fits.

GallantGesture
Aug. 2, 2011, 11:29 AM
When looking for a saddle for my shark withered 5yo ottb, the awesome saddle fitter at a local tack shop shared a piece of advice that saved me a fortune. She said to invest in a good sheepskin correction pad, either the Fleeceworks or the Mattes, because no saddle (within my budget anyways, custom was not an option) was going to correctly fit over the withers, fill in the dip on the sides of his withers, and then flair out to fit around his big shoulders. The correction pad would keep the saddle from sitting on the top of his withers and would fill in the dips on the sides of his withers, without putting pressure there so he can fill in muscle as he gets more fit, and allow the saddle to fit around his shoulders without pinching there. Basically, the side contour of my horse is very S shaped, and saddles are not. Once I thought about it that way, I bought the Fleeceworks pad with front inserts because I love the feel of the memory foam, found a medium tree Collegiate (they seem to run the narrow side of medium) and horse and I are both happy :)

Maybe with the right pad combination you can make one of the saddles you have work?

alto
Aug. 2, 2011, 12:57 PM
Have you done the wither tracings/conformation shots & online saddle fitting consults or had a saddle fitter in?
Does your local/not so local tack shop have enough saddles that it would be worth trailering in for?

I agree that you can spend ALOT of money on shipping saddles in/out or even just driving out to every tack shop within reasonable distance & hauling saddles back & forth.

scubed
Aug. 2, 2011, 02:21 PM
Correction pads

But, Kieffer Orphee (made for TBs)
and Prestige Optimax is another suggestion I have heard

osgoka01
Aug. 3, 2011, 05:32 PM
High Head Albion.

Hampton Bay
Aug. 3, 2011, 05:50 PM
Thorowgood, Kent&Masters, and Fairfax all make saddles built on the same high-wither tree. It's designed especially for TBs with high withers.

arabiansrock
Aug. 3, 2011, 07:19 PM
Ditto HB. I own a thorowgood T4 hi wither dressage saddle and it fits my OTTB perfectly. Cheap was a benefit too. While I sometimes feel sad over having a synthetic saddle while my kids are riding our mare in "my" nice $2600 saddle, the truth is from on top you can't tell the difference, and it fits my boy well and that is the most important thing:)

buck22
Aug. 3, 2011, 08:48 PM
^^ Yup. I have a L4 Thorowgood, the precursor to the Fairfax (mine is a broadback however, they cleverly made a line for TBs, for average builds, and one for the fat, round and witherless like mine :lol:)

Here you might find this handy: http://www.thorowgood.com/types.html

If you're on a budget, also look for older Crosbys and Stubbens, you might find something there.

Absolutely do a wither tracing, its so very helpful to "see" the shape you need to fit.