PDA

View Full Version : Spirit bridle

Big_Grey_hunter
Aug. 2, 2011, 01:35 AM
For $169.00, you can majikally fix all your problems. Who could say no? :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Spirit-Bridle-Brn-LEATHER-original-BITLESS-BRIDLE-COB-/300478225705?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f5e5dd29#ht_1631wt_1189

ThreeFigs
Aug. 2, 2011, 10:15 AM
While the bridle itself may have practical applications for some horses in some circumstances, its designer has been discredited on other threads for his "training" ideas.

It's not a design I would use.

I can say "NO"!

esdressage
Aug. 2, 2011, 11:19 AM
It sounds like a bargain to me… bidding war about to ensue? :lol:

For a limited time, maybe it will include the Spirit "Yolk"

meupatdoes
Aug. 2, 2011, 12:10 PM
I'd like to see the inventor of it execute a canter zig zag and jump a basic 3' hunter course.

Then we'll talk.

DutchDressageQueen
Aug. 2, 2011, 01:32 PM
@meupatdoes

Maybe you should put up an advertisement for your "spirit butt"!:D

kinnip
Aug. 2, 2011, 01:34 PM
@meupatdoes

I'll start the bidding at $0.99! :lol:

The Hobbit
Aug. 2, 2011, 01:38 PM
@meupatdoes

Oooh! I'll buy one! Does is fart rainbows and majikal butterflies? :winkgrin:

LookmaNohands
Aug. 2, 2011, 01:47 PM
Its basically the same as the Dr. Cook's bridle.

I think each accuses the other of stealing the idea for the thing though.

katarine
Aug. 2, 2011, 02:29 PM
I wish I had a video of my Spirit Butt. We did a charter boat trip in the BVI last Spring, along with 5 other fun peeps, back when that silly song "I'm on a boat" was a hit. One night in White Bay, whist full of...Spirits...my white fanny got up there on the front of our boat and By Golly shook my moneymaker while the song played-not just for a few seconds...but the WHOLE song. All of it. Work it, Kat.

How embarrassing to wake up the next day and think, you know, I think I shook it like a Polaroid picture, like I'm any good at it, for quite some time. aye aye aye...

That's my story of a Spirit Butt ;)

Char
Aug. 2, 2011, 02:34 PM
I wish I had a video of my Spirit Butt. We did a charter boat trip in the BVI last Spring, along with 5 other fun peeps, back when that silly song "I'm on a boat" was a hit. One night in White Bay, whist full of...Spirits...my white fanny got up there on the front of our boat and By Golly shook my moneymaker while the song played-not just for a few seconds...but the WHOLE song. All of it. Work it, Kat.

How embarrassing to wake up the next day and think, you know, I think I shook it like a Polaroid picture, like I'm any good at it, for quite some time. aye aye aye...

That's my story of a Spirit Butt ;)

BAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! Oh my gawd, I think that's the best butt-story I've ever heard....

Work it, Girl, work it! :lol:

katarine
Aug. 2, 2011, 03:05 PM
Shake it like a polaroid picture ;) And I did, YES, I did ;)

moonriverfarm
Aug. 2, 2011, 03:07 PM
And it comes with a Spirit Yolk too, which makes your eggs speak in tongues.

Reddfox
Aug. 2, 2011, 03:49 PM
I think that RAyers has a picture of himself with the Spirit Butt halo option.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293364&page=3
Post #44.

Ghazzu
Aug. 2, 2011, 06:13 PM
Its basically the same as the Dr. Cook's bridle.

I think each accuses the other of stealing the idea for the thing though.

And both of those are slightly reworked versions of the "Be Nice" halter...

Equibrit
Aug. 2, 2011, 06:18 PM
Hey - if you can't use a bit, why not squeeze the snot out of your horse's head ?

ThreeFigs
Aug. 3, 2011, 07:36 PM
Hey - if you can't use a bit, why not squeeze the snot out of your horse's head ?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Unfforgettable
Aug. 3, 2011, 09:39 PM
Maybe the Spirit Yoke is a Norwegian thing? (ya know, how da Norveejun accent tends ta change J to Y?) Would seem fitting.... :D

kinnip
Aug. 3, 2011, 09:42 PM

Like wringing a towel.

DutchDressageQueen
Aug. 3, 2011, 09:54 PM
(Quoting)

"Spirit Bridle does not fail to succeed, the rider fails Spirit Bridle"

?

cnvh
Aug. 3, 2011, 10:14 PM
And this...

5. Does Spirit Bridle have stopping capability? Yes, the Spirit Bridle stops a horse. It is so efficient that it is recognized for horse racing. To stop a horse who is trying to run off, the rider needs only to shake the head and then hold. Usually it takes only two or three such actions to stop the horse. With Spirit Bridle, the rider is actually braking the horse from the hindquarter.

Shake the head? Like grabbing somebody by the shoulders and shaking some sense into them? "Horse, get ahold of yerself, ah said WHOA!!"

And the hindquarters brake... is that like an E-brake?

Wow, this must be some bridle...

DutchDressageQueen
Aug. 3, 2011, 10:18 PM
And this...

5. Does Spirit Bridle have stopping capability? Yes, the Spirit Bridle stops a horse. It is so efficient that it is recognized for horse racing. To stop a horse who is trying to run off, the rider needs only to shake the head and then hold. Usually it takes only two or three such actions to stop the horse. With Spirit Bridle, the rider is actually braking the horse from the hindquarter.

Shake the head? Like grabbing somebody by the shoulders and shaking some sense into them? "Horse, get ahold of yerself, ah said WHOA!!"

And the hindquarters brake... is that like an E-brake?

Wow, this must be some bridle...

:lol:

Big_Grey_hunter
Aug. 3, 2011, 10:19 PM
(Quoting)

?

Is it a bridle or a cult?

Reddfox
Aug. 3, 2011, 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchDressageQueen
(Quoting)

?
Is it a bridle or a cult?

It sounds like a Chuck Norris joke to me...

CFFarm
Aug. 4, 2011, 11:15 AM
The Dr. Cook at the bottom of the page is only $89.90. also listed there is directiions how to make your own Indian bitless bridle out of rope for $9.00.

catosis
Aug. 4, 2011, 01:47 PM
It sounds like a Chuck Norris joke to me...

That was exactly what I was thinking ;)

FlashGordon
Aug. 4, 2011, 01:53 PM

:lol:

Yeah and hope horsey doesn't have an issue with poll pressure and send you flying......

dragonharte8
Aug. 4, 2011, 03:08 PM
Found this thread from last year

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257729

Now dressage has an FEI approved legal bridle that locks down the jaw completely and pulls from the poll in the snaffle bit...........have not seen it in double bridle yet.

ThreeFigs
Aug. 4, 2011, 08:05 PM
Funny, that's not what people who've used the bridle say on the very thread you cite. The design works better anatomically than your Spirit Bridle -- there is no pressure on the delicate end parts of the nose bone, as is evident in the Spirit Bridle photos I've seen.

With no crossunder, it looks easier on the horse's head than your design, too.

I just bought one online. I think my mare will like it. :lol: :D :cool:

rcloisonne
Aug. 4, 2011, 08:12 PM
I love it!!!!!!!!! :yes: :yes: :yes:

dragonharte8
Aug. 4, 2011, 08:51 PM
Funny, that's not what people who've used the bridle say on the very thread you cite. The design works better anatomically than your Spirit Bridle -- there is no pressure on the delicate end parts of the nose bone, as is evident in the Spirit Bridle photos I've seen.

With no crossunder, it looks easier on the horse's head than your design, too.

I just bought one online. I think my mare will like it. :lol: :D :cool:

Glad you paid the price for one.
There is absolutely no way for the pressures being applied to the head of the horse by the Micklem Bridle can be released by the rein contact.
On the other hand, Spirit Bridle releases any pressure through the rein contact. That is why Spirit Bridle requires the riders to have extremely light rein connection.

I get it.....any other bridle has magical properties except Spirit Bridle. Reality check, the Micklem Bridle is simply a vise.

ThreeFigs
Aug. 4, 2011, 09:08 PM
Doesn't look that way to me. Rein pressure = pressure on bridle. Released rein pressure = released pressure on bridle. The design looks more comfortable for the horse than yours. Just because the Micklem fits snugly doesn't mean it's uncomfortable for the horse. William Micklem has better credentials than you do.

So the money's not going to YOU! :lol:

Keep "advertising" and get banned. Please.

Big_Grey_hunter
Aug. 4, 2011, 09:10 PM
I get it.....any other bridle has magical properties except Spirit Bridle. Reality check, the Micklem Bridle is simply a vise.

That's the ting, it's not magical. It's physics

Kaluna
Aug. 4, 2011, 09:10 PM
There is absolutely no way for the pressures being applied to the head of the horse by the Micklem Bridle can be released by the rein contact.
On the other hand, Spirit Bridle releases any pressure through the rein contact. That is why Spirit Bridle requires the riders to have extremely light rein connection.

The thread is about the way you advertise your bridle and the "interesting" claims that you make about it, not the Micklem Bridle thread. Address this thread. THIS thread.

carolprudm
Aug. 4, 2011, 09:13 PM

You WISH you had the street cred that Micklem has.

He has the reapect of people like the O'Connors and you have...

a big fat NOTHING

Bogie
Aug. 4, 2011, 09:13 PM
I have used the Micklem bridle in all of its configurations -- bitted and bitless.

As a bitless bridle I think it's quite mild. I've used it a lot as a side pull and occasionally in the cross under design. One thing I really like about it is that the crown piece is padded so there is less pressure over the poll.

For my current horse I use it with a bit. There's nothing harsh about it at all.

CaitlinandTheBay
Aug. 4, 2011, 09:17 PM
A) I'm sure there's a special place in hell for me for feeding the trolls.

B) I too would like to purchase a Spirit Butt. (Very nice job meupatdoes).

C) The Spirit Bridle, as I understand it and basic physics, does not release pressure through rein contact; it releases pressure through the lessening of rein contact. Contact = pressure on multiple points of the face. Lack of contact = pressure free.

I'm not sure that's what I want my horse to learn.

dragonharte8
Aug. 4, 2011, 09:26 PM
The thread is about the way you advertise your bridle and the "interesting" claims that you make about it, not the Micklem Bridle thread. Address this thread. THIS thread.

Addressing this thread:
Mouthing off negatively about Spirit Bridle clearly demonstrates ignorance or just plain bulling.

I have a whole lot of satisfied clients and horses........I do not have the financial means to market the way others do. I have to do my marketing by word of mouth and one on one connecting.

As for credibility of the Micklem claims,other claims by other bitless bridles, and my claims about Spirit Bridle - - well;
You see it is quite easy to prove or disprove.

I have set forth the challenge to gather scientific data regarding claims of the bitless bridles, however, no one really wants to accept.

The day shall come when some of you, but not all, may be willing to recognize I do know of what I speak.

I just ask one thing of you all, bash away at SB and me, but please refrain from bashing my clients.

Have a great evening.
Allan

rainechyldes
Aug. 4, 2011, 09:27 PM
[QUOTE=Bogie;5759005 One thing I really like about it is that the crown piece is padded so there is less pressure over the poll.

[/QUOTE

no dog in this fight at all - but this statement makes no sense. Just because an item is padded, isn't going to reduce the downward pressure caused by a leverage action - just saying.. it's simple physics. Bad advertising if they suggest such a thing.

dragonharte8
Aug. 4, 2011, 09:36 PM
Just because an item is padded, isn't going to reduce the downward pressure caused by a leverage action - just saying.. it's simple physics. Bad advertising if they suggest such a thing.

No such claim has ever been made about Spirit Bridle because Spirit Bridle does not have a padded crown and such a statement regarding pressure is false advertising.
In a conventional bridle the only way the downward pressure on the poll can be released is by releasing the pressures being applied to the cheek straps and and bit/bits. In a bridle with the cross under the jaw rein technology, release of the poll pressure comes only from softening the rein contact.

Ghazzu
Aug. 4, 2011, 09:45 PM
The day shall come when some of you, but not all, may be willing to recognize I do know of what I speak.

You'll pardon me if I'm not holding my breath while awaiting that day.

Kaluna
Aug. 4, 2011, 10:02 PM
Addressing this thread:
Mouthing off negatively about Spirit Bridle clearly demonstrates ignorance or just plain bulling.

I see what you mean. But I think the mouthing off has to do with the way you respond to people in the past and claims that you make that have no real support - like how damaging dressage is, dressage tack, dressage riders, etc. You don't like to feel attacked, neither do dressage riders/trainers/breeders.

I have a whole lot of satisfied clients and horses........I do not have the financial means to market the way others do. I have to do my marketing by word of mouth and one on one connecting.

Marketing is as simple as telling the truth and highlighting the stregnths of your product. Like you do when you talk about the quality of the bridle leather, stitching, etc. It's not claiming that your product is a huge fix for all horses. Your ad makes it sounds like all horse problems will go away with the use of your bridle, and that horses will suddenly use their backs and hind ends if they wear your bridle. Do you believe that? DO you really think that the bridle has more influence over the use of the back than the quality of the rider and the fit of the saddle? That's how your ad sounds.

As for credibility of the Micklem claims,other claims by other bitless bridles, and my claims about Spirit Bridle - - well;
You see it is quite easy to prove or disprove.

Agreed.

I have set forth the challenge to gather scientific data regarding claims of the bitless bridles, however, no one really wants to accept.

You posted on your website that you want sponsors to come in and test your bridle with no actual protocol or study design. Who is supposed to study your bridle? Who have you approached for study? Who's going to touch that when you seem so biased about the outcome you want?

You criticize people but have no obvious credentials yourself. Your website doesn't help. I can tell you all that I was long listed for the Olympics but until I produce the video or the scores/standings, I can be just talking. If you're not just talking, prove it. Help us to understand your skill level in real terms.

I just ask one thing of you all, bash away at SB and me, but please refrain from bashing my clients.

Prove yourself and your product. Otherwise, people will go to anything you choose to post that supports your supposed knowledge of dressage and training dressage horses. YOU posted your client's feedback about you but there's nothing about you. Protect your clients yourself by proving you are a dressage trainer/rider. Help us to understand that your clients are knowledgeable people whose feedback can be trusted. C'mon - anyone can say anything about themselves or anything else on the internet. Savvy people want to see the difference between the posers and the real deal. If you're the real deal, prove it.

Have a great evening.
Allan

You too, Allan!

katarine
Aug. 4, 2011, 10:15 PM
Doesn't look that way to me. Rein pressure = pressure on bridle. Released rein pressure = released pressure on bridle. The design looks more comfortable for the horse than yours. Just because the Micklem fits snugly doesn't mean it's uncomfortable for the horse. William Micklem has better credentials than you do.

So the money's not going to YOU! :lol:

Keep "advertising" and get banned. Please.

I'll shake my spirit butt if that comes to fruition.

Fruit, dammit, fruit!

ThreeFigs
Aug. 4, 2011, 11:27 PM
(Quoting rainechyldes)Just because an item is padded, isn't going to reduce the downward pressure caused by a leverage action - just saying.. it's simple physics. Bad advertising if they suggest such a thing.

No such claim has ever been made about Spirit Bridle because Spirit Bridle does not have a padded crown and such a statement regarding pressure is false advertising.
In a conventional bridle the only way the downward pressure on the poll can be released is by releasing the pressures being applied to the cheek straps and and bit/bits. In a bridle with the cross under the jaw rein technology, release of the poll pressure comes only from softening the rein contact.

Um, Allan, she wasn't talking about YOUR bridle; she was talking about the Micklem. Sometimes you are NOT the center of attention in a posting.

I don't see any "leverage" in the Micklem, but will report back later once I have the item in hand and have used it.

Come to think of it, if the Micklem is approved for dressage, as such a "radical" design, it may open the doors for other "non-traditional" bridles.

ideayoda
Aug. 5, 2011, 01:22 AM
The purpose of a mecklem bridle is to be able to stabilize the bit from acting on the bars on very sensitive horses, and it works quite well, it does NOT crank the jaw shut, and it allows the horse to go w/o a noseband. (And I have tried both the sb and use the micklem on some (retraining) horses.)

DutchDressageQueen
Aug. 5, 2011, 07:31 AM
Your ad makes it sounds like all horse problems will go away with the use of your bridle, and that horses will suddenly use their backs and hind ends if they wear your bridle. Do you believe that? DO you really think that the bridle has more influence over the use of the back than the quality of the rider and the fit of the saddle? That's how your ad sounds.

:yes:

Bogie
Aug. 5, 2011, 07:36 AM
The purpose of a mecklem bridle is to be able to stabilize the bit from acting on the bars on very sensitive horses, and it works quite well, it does NOT crank the jaw shut, and it allows the horse to go w/o a noseband. (And I have tried both the sb and use the micklem on some (retraining) horses.)

I believe that he was talking about the bitless options of the Micklem bridle.

Equibrit
Aug. 5, 2011, 10:28 AM
Is "bulling" like dogging ?

Go Fish
Aug. 5, 2011, 03:15 PM
That bridle (or whatever it is) suspiciously looks like a contraption that a cutting horse trainer in Texas used to use. This would have been about 30 years ago, though. I don't remember it exactly, but I do recall riding a horse at his ranch while using it.

I don't see anything special about it. I could probably rig up something similar with leftover stuff I have in my tack room. I could probably do that for free. (If I was interested.)

naturalequus
Aug. 5, 2011, 03:42 PM
For $169.00, you can majikally fix all your problems. Who could say no? :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Spirit-Bridle-Brn-LEATHER-original-BITLESS-BRIDLE-COB-/300478225705?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f5e5dd29#ht_1631wt_1189

Wait... did you start this thread JUST to bash a bitless bridle??? :confused:

I have one very similar that works fabulous and there certainly is room for bitless bridles for certain people, certain horses, certain circumstances, etc. Albeit this one IS more expensive...

If it's not about the bridle, honestly imo it's pretty petty to start a thread to bash the bridle due to dislike of the proprietor :no:

MistyBlue
Aug. 5, 2011, 04:04 PM
I think the OP was starting the thread not about the price or that it's a bitless bridle but about the claims made in the Ebay ad of all the things the bridle does.
Which, frankly, aren't very believable.

Go Fish
Aug. 5, 2011, 04:27 PM
Wait... did you start this thread JUST to bash a bitless bridle??? :confused:

I have one very similar that works fabulous and there certainly is room for bitless bridles for certain people, certain horses, certain circumstances, etc. Albeit this one IS more expensive...

If it's not about the bridle, honestly imo it's pretty petty to start a thread to bash the bridle due to dislike of the proprietor :no:

I used to ride western. Lots of bitless alternatives used. My favorite on my cutting horses was a side pull.

People probably do dislike the proprietor. I think he gives them good cause. That doesn't mean they can't find fault with his "bridle." It's a separate issue.

naturalequus
Aug. 5, 2011, 05:07 PM
It's a separate issue.

I guess I just don't buy that (for the most part, I'm sure for some it certainly is), hence the reason I commented.

CosMonster
Aug. 5, 2011, 05:41 PM
I have a bridle that looks suspiciously similar that I made out of spare bits and rope in about half an hour (actually, the one on eBay is much prettier, but functionally they're the same :lol:). :eek: Actually, I do really like it and one of my horses goes substantially better in it than any other bitless options. She goes nicely in a bit, too, but she's an endurance horse and I prefer to do long rides bitless if possible.

It's pretty awful for dressage, though. I mean, you can get around the ring in it, but it's pretty much the opposite of the kind of bridle you want for dressage. And I say this as someone who is hardly a purist. :lol: I'd guess that the miracle results are largely due to the fact that it makes people with uneducated hands get out of their horse's mouth. Most horses do move better when they're not having their mouths dragged on, after all. ;)