PDA

View Full Version : The Ark FEH/NEH/YEH Aug 14th

Aussie08
Aug. 1, 2011, 11:04 PM
I have been in contact with Abbey from The Ark regarding the status of the FEH/NEH/YEH and unfortunately they only have 5 entries (2 of them are mine) thus far and need another 5 to make a go of it.

So...if you have been thinking about entering, PLEASE, send them in so that it can go forward. There are very vew FEH/YEH and this is the first NEH in the southeast, please help make it happen!

Crazyabouteventing
Aug. 2, 2011, 01:19 AM
I shall be there, first time FEH handling for me...should be fun if the young fellow doesnt pig root around the ring for everyones amusement ;)

Or bite the judge for being too close. He is a 'pistol', showing a 'colts' slant on things whenever possible. ...!!

Cheers

Glenbaer
Aug. 2, 2011, 04:59 AM
Depending on how the stars (and traffic on 95) align, there is a very outside chance that I can enter my new 3yo TB. I'm bringing her down to NC a couple days before, and FEH would be great for her. (JMP and I are going in on this love-- she's just a "plain bay" mare, but there is something very special in her. Incredible and HIGHLY brilliant personality. With being just three weeks off the track, she's already behaving like a seasoned competitor.)

As I referenced in the thread from April about the Ark, it is THE best experience for horses and riders! These additional classes for the youngsters are a great opportunity to get out and about, and it is a very nice prep for the fall season.

Perhaps Abbey or someone in the know will chime in, but isn't there a combined test that weekend, too? Riders/handlers can take their other horses, get more experience, and maybe even school the XC. Perfect training opportunity! (FWIW, if you are contemplating entering but don't want to run in the ungodly heat, I'm willing to catch-handle or catch-ride for free-- please just provide ice. :) )

The Ark is providing such wonderful services and opportunities for riders in the southeast, and I vehemently encourage everyone to enter. :yes:

Wits End Eventing
Aug. 2, 2011, 06:25 AM
We will be there with 3 or 4 for the FEH, just haven't gotten my act together to send in entries yet...

lecoeurtriste
Aug. 2, 2011, 08:04 AM
Yep, Andrea, we are running an NCDCTA-recognized D/CT/SJ Derby on the 13th (Saturday) and the FEH/NEH/YEH on Sunday. We did that specifically so riders/trainers could make a weekend of it, as we're running pre-maiden (1'11") through intermediate in eventing and Intro through FEI dressage (something for everyone!). The XC course is also open to all competitors (including YEH horses) on Saturday.

Hope those of you who have posted can make it!

Aussie08
Aug. 2, 2011, 09:05 AM
Gosh Wits End Eventing, you would almost make the needed entries to keep the show alive. Just read the nice write up on you in the USEA magazine, very nice!

And I'll hope it's 'in the stars' for Glenbaer to bring their new superstar!

It really is a fun group at The Ark and a very good outing for all horses, not just the young ones. And it's just as interesting to the humans as well. Lots to see.

Fingers crossed!

GingerJumper
Aug. 2, 2011, 09:13 AM
Hopefully I'll be there for the weekend (a few rounds and maybe XC Saturday, then the NEH Sunday), just need to get entries sent in :)

Second loving the Ark! Did the whole frostbite series last year with my Appy just for fun. We did a super low level and barely got through... he was not exactly the picture of event horse or willingness... "you want me to do WHAT?! A dressage test?! INTRO dressage?! WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?!?! Idiot!!!" so by the time we got to the little jumps he was so PO'd that our rounds sucked... He felt insulted by the fact that I wasn't running him Prelim or doing jumpers over the winter. :lol: Still, love love love the Ark!

greyiscute
Aug. 2, 2011, 09:27 AM
Yes, please send those entries in! I've got my 5 year old entered and would love for it to run!

GingerJumper
Aug. 2, 2011, 10:35 AM
Quick question-- I can send in the muck deposit with the entry stuff, as long as it's on a separate check, right? I haven't stabled there overnight before so just thought I'd double check...

lecoeurtriste
Aug. 2, 2011, 11:54 AM
Quick question-- I can send in the muck deposit with the entry stuff, as long as it's on a separate check, right? I haven't stabled there overnight before so just thought I'd double check...

Absolutely--we tear checks up when the stalls are stripped (so separate is your/my friend!). Right now, we only have 2 horses stabling, so I should be able to fit everyone into the boarder barn versus the show barns. :)

ThirdCharm
Aug. 2, 2011, 12:56 PM
I imagine I'll get my act together to bring someone.... if I can wrangle some helpers, maybe I could bring the 5yo and the yearling.

Jennifer

GingerJumper
Aug. 2, 2011, 01:08 PM
Absolutely--we tear checks up when the stalls are stripped (so separate is your/my friend!). Right now, we only have 2 horses stabling, so I should be able to fit everyone into the boarder barn versus the show barns. :)

Awesome, thanks!

Wits End Eventing
Aug. 3, 2011, 06:27 AM
Gosh Wits End Eventing, you would almost make the needed entries to keep the show alive. Just read the nice write up on you in the USEA magazine, very nice!

Thanks! We were really excited when we were contacted about that.

Fair warning to all the parents out there, we are bringing our Haflinger/German Riding Pony cross (http://witsendeventing.com/Foals/Valiant_Voyager.html) to show and he is darn cute :D

See you all there!

Aussie08
Aug. 3, 2011, 10:06 AM
Valiant Voyager is way too cute, can't wait to see that one and all the others.

It was really fun last year when I showed our TB yearling and although he's still a good looking fella (ok, Mom's biased!) it's not that cuteness factor. And 'Dad' will be showing him for the first time and I'm looking forward to watching and taking pics.

It sounds like there will be enough entries to make it a go...that is such good news!

See you there!

GingerJumper
Aug. 3, 2011, 10:14 AM
Thanks! We were really excited when we were contacted about that.

Fair warning to all the parents out there, we are bringing our Haflinger/German Riding Pony cross (http://witsendeventing.com/Foals/Valiant_Voyager.html) to show and he is darn cute :D

See you all there!

I think I'll have to keep my PARENT clear of him... she's a sucker for cute ponies, I'm beginning to think even more so than me! :lol:

FairWeather
Aug. 3, 2011, 12:22 PM
I was thinking of bringing my 2yo, even though he's not super event-typey. Off to check the schedule to see if it would work :)

GingerJumper
Aug. 3, 2011, 03:31 PM
Anyone know what the expected turnout for the NEH conformation/in-hand section is? I've heard a variety of things so wasn't sure...

Aussie08
Aug. 3, 2011, 06:21 PM
From the USEA website on the NEH program:
Section 1 – Conformation and Type

Each horse is stripped of tack and shown in hand to the judge. Handlers are to stand their horse up for inspection by the judge who will assess conformation and type. The horse is judged on potential for soundness, speed and stamina. Handlers will be asked to walk and trot them in a straight line for soundness and correctness. Color, size and gender should not be a factor in a horse's score.

It is based on the YEH and to me seems much like the 'jog' for horses in FEI events or 3DE's.

Maybe Emily or Wendy could help clarify for us, I have not had much success getting a response from my questions to Wendy regarding the NEH, so I am not sure if my emails are getting through or she is just swamped. Maybe someone else could give it a whirl.

Right now I am planning on presenting like I would dress for the FEH inspection. White shirt, khaki pans and good shoes for running in. Of course it will depend on how the ridden portion is times, I could be in my dressage attire!

Anyone else have thoughts?

lecoeurtriste
Aug. 3, 2011, 06:26 PM
We'll run the in-hand inspections "big to little", starting with the 5yo and working down. That way, the riders who have dressage and jumping phases will have time to tack up/change/warm up while the babies are being judged on the triangle.

That said, right now, it's mostly babies, so Aussie08 may be jogging in her dressage kit since she has both an NEH horse and 2yo! ;)

Aussie08
Aug. 3, 2011, 06:54 PM
Abbey, good thinking, especially in light of how hot it's been of late. That will help things move along. And I can do the in hand in dressage wear...I'm a terrible runner anyway so field boots can just be my excuse for not running well...!

But, I'm not handling the 2yr old this time....my husband Wayne will be taking over the reins of in hand showing this year! And it's his very first time! So we'll have lots of fun that weekend.

GingerJumper
Aug. 3, 2011, 07:19 PM
From the USEA website on the NEH program:
Section 1 – Conformation and Type

Each horse is stripped of tack and shown in hand to the judge. Handlers are to stand their horse up for inspection by the judge who will assess conformation and type. The horse is judged on potential for soundness, speed and stamina. Handlers will be asked to walk and trot them in a straight line for soundness and correctness. Color, size and gender should not be a factor in a horse's score.

It is based on the YEH and to me seems much like the 'jog' for horses in FEI events or 3DE's.

Maybe Emily or Wendy could help clarify for us, I have not had much success getting a response from my questions to Wendy regarding the NEH, so I am not sure if my emails are getting through or she is just swamped. Maybe someone else could give it a whirl.

Right now I am planning on presenting like I would dress for the FEH inspection. White shirt, khaki pans and good shoes for running in. Of course it will depend on how the ridden portion is times, I could be in my dressage attire!

Anyone else have thoughts?

Thank you :) Was pretty sure about the horse but not so much myself, khakis it is! Unless it's close to his flat phase, naturally.

lecoeurtriste
Aug. 5, 2011, 02:18 PM
If anyone who has posted here has decided to enter, but hasn't yet sent their entry, PLEASE email (lecoeurtriste@earthlink.net) me--I need to confirm (or cancel) the judge, and today is closing. Thanks!!

Wits End Eventing
Aug. 5, 2011, 02:37 PM
If anyone who has posted here has decided to enter, but hasn't yet sent their entry, PLEASE email (lecoeurtriste@earthlink.net) me--I need to confirm (or cancel) the judge, and today is closing. Thanks!!

Four entries sent in.
1 2yo gelding
2 yearling colt
1 yearling filly

Anyone else????? I only have a 4 horse trailer :)

GingerJumper
Aug. 5, 2011, 03:00 PM

Entries were sent Monday (I think) so hopefully they got there. Were there enough for the NEH??

besum1
Aug. 5, 2011, 04:35 PM
i really wish i could be there! The NEH would of been perfect for my guy, but alas my cousin's wedding takes precedence...

lecoeurtriste
Aug. 5, 2011, 08:24 PM
Thanks to everyone who's emailed or posted--we should have enough to run!! The judge is confirmed. Let's hope the cooler weather comes back next weekend (without the rain!).

:D

lecoeurtriste
Aug. 5, 2011, 09:06 PM
Just in case anyone wants to see the planned jumping courses (http://www.wnaaa.com/Forms/2011-YEH-August.pdf) for next weekend--the 5yo will do mostly Trng, the 4yo mostly Nov, and the NEH will have the option to choose BN or Mdn fences (for most questions). The judge, of course, will have the final say when she arrives...but these should be pretty close to what runs.

:D

Aussie08
Aug. 5, 2011, 11:09 PM
Great work everyone for getting the entry info to Abbey! I'm thrilled that both my FEH and NEH will go forward.

And Abbey, thanks for posting the 'potential' courses, it's really nice to get some idea as to what to expect since this will be the 1st NEH for us. I think you are only one of 3, thus far, that I've seen on the books. So, thank you for offering it.

We look forward to seeing every one next weekend!

GingerJumper
Aug. 6, 2011, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the courses Abbey :)

Cannot wait to get my guy out to the NEH... hopefully he'll be in one of his good moods, and not one of his cranky moods! :lol:

FairWeather
Aug. 6, 2011, 09:19 PM
Bummer, had a keuring to deal with so couldn't get an entry in. Have fun!