PDA

View Full Version : the Elegant Coat with the GIANT pinney!

Gry2Yng
Aug. 1, 2011, 10:27 PM
So how elegant is the dressage coat REALLY, when you wear a pinney the size of a mailbox? No way the photos can be any less attractive. See Sunday at Wilton Horse Trials on EN.

http://eventingnation.com/home/2011/08/sunday-at-wilton-horse-trials.html

Porsche
Aug. 1, 2011, 10:34 PM
Maybe not all that elegant, but great for all us volunteers who are getting older and whose eyesight gets worse by the year!!

redlight
Aug. 2, 2011, 07:37 AM
I totally agree gry2yng!

RedRyderKy
Aug. 2, 2011, 07:51 AM
Defintely not pretty for dressage. Perfect for xc.

Tap2Tango
Aug. 2, 2011, 09:01 AM
Coming over from H/J land...Are pinnies required in all phases?? I see how they are helpful on XC, having an easier to read number can help jump judges and keep track of riders. Wouldn't a bridle tag be acceptable, and better looking, for dressage? For stadium, could the bridle tag, plus a number pinned on the saddle pad like we do in the jumpers be ok?

I did PC as a kid, and do the very rare starter trial nowadays, and I really despise having a pinney. Just curious as to what my options are if I ever make a quick trip to the dark side.

nomeolvides
Aug. 2, 2011, 09:07 AM
Maybe it's just a sight I'm used to, but I didn't even notice the number bibs despite their size!

BestHorses
Aug. 2, 2011, 09:10 AM
The pinney was the first thing I saw when I looked at those pics! ewwww

They look terrible with a coat. If they're going to make people wear that pinney let them wear sport shirts under it and do away with the coat. I don't see the point of dressing up and then putting that thing on top. If you're going to look like that you might as well be comfortable!!!!!!

kookicat
Aug. 2, 2011, 09:11 AM
Maybe it's just a sight I'm used to, but I didn't even notice the number bibs despite their size!

I agree! :)

scubed
Aug. 2, 2011, 09:47 AM
I was given these, http://www.dressagedeluxe.co.uk/Shop.asp?viewmode=ViewProduct&productid=35 by my COTH secret santa last year. I have used them at a couple of unrecognized where they do not give out bridle numbers. I am thinking of getting http://www.hamag.com.au/numberholder.html

Lori B
Aug. 2, 2011, 09:51 AM
Last time I jump judged for XC, I took my birding binoculars, and there were still times that it was hard to read the pinneys! (sometimes they are a bit scrunched up, horse going by quickly, etc.) So for XC, keep 'em big and bright. But dressage? Have to agree, they are uber ugly. With a decent ring steward, is there really ever any question which rider / horse are in the ring?

GingerJumper
Aug. 2, 2011, 11:26 AM
I hate wearing pinnies... they're always massively too big on me so I have to do all sorts of things to even keep them on. I get it for XC, that makes sense, but for dressage or jumping? Icky.

frugalannie
Aug. 2, 2011, 12:03 PM
Part of my scribe "kit" (besides what the organizer packs, bug spray, cough drops, sunscreen, water bottle, mints, tissues, various styles of hat:rain, sun, ballcap) I always bring binoculars to get the bridle number as the horse circles the ring.

I agree that big ol' pinnies aren't the most attractive. Those little skinny kids can wear a potato sack and look great. Gravity has changed my body enough that I need all the hiding power a black coat can give me. The pinny completely undoes that!