PDA

View Full Version : Equestrian Tablescapes

EquitationRider
Aug. 1, 2011, 11:18 PM
So I'm doing an equestrian theme tables cape and I need ideas! I would love any cute creative ideas for it and pictures would be nice! Thanks!!

WhatHaveIGottenInto
Aug. 1, 2011, 11:38 PM
Here are a few random ideas...Place trophy cups or bowls with some flowers in them of varied heights along the middle and hang ribbons off a few of them. Or look online to seem if you can find horse shoes to be placed on top of napkins as holders? It could be a mess, but make a runner out of astroturf. Then put sand down the middle of it with a few of those jumps you can get to go with the plastic horses? Crops may not me the best idea;)

Hum. I shall keep attempting a thought here.

T-storm chick
Aug. 1, 2011, 11:46 PM
What kind of equestrian event is it for? Is there a specific discipline it should be associated with? Is it just a "feature" table, so to speak, is it for a guest book, or are we talking table centerpieces for multiple tables?

EquitationRider
Aug. 2, 2011, 12:12 AM
What kind of equestrian event is it for? Is there a specific discipline it should be associated with? Is it just a "feature" table, so to speak, is it for a guest book, or are we talking table centerpieces for multiple tables?

It is for a grand prix event in the patrons tent. They do a table contest. So it can really be anything.

goosejumps
Aug. 2, 2011, 01:12 AM
Houndstooth Design repurposes Breyer horses and they'd make fantastic pieces for a tablescape. I read about them on the Dappled Grey blog and made a note to myself that I'd love to build a table around them someday! :)

http://www.etsy.com/shop/HoundstoothDesign

Atlas (http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l554/goosejumpsinsweden/IMG_6309.jpg): Jag älskar min häst!

T-storm chick
Aug. 2, 2011, 01:13 AM
Hmmm...different ways you could go. You could do super classy upscale with silver cups, ribbons, maybe a bronze statue of a jumping horse (if you can get your hands on one, and I'm thinking 2' tall or less:)). Could you get your hands on a ribbon quilt to put down as an accent table cloth over a regular white one? Or, with the silver cup idea, you could maybe set them on top of a mirror along with some candles for extra sparkle. The astro turf is also a cool idea--if you have access to some nice small jumps, or want to make some of them, you could build a whole little course. The jump filler would double as table flowers. You could even make up astro-turf place mats, and add a few divots! (That might be a done-to-death idea, though.) Depending on how big your table is, you could also put a SUPER nicely cleaned saddle, boots, spurs, some equestrian scarves in the center. Or, from that idea, you could branch off into hunting appointments, or go with an equestrian tailgating theme. (Picnic basket, flask, more scarves, etc.) If you need to actually set the table with plates, try to tie the place mats into what you do in the center and get your hands on some chargers that pick up a color in your display. Also, don't forget the chair backs!

T-storm chick
Aug. 2, 2011, 01:16 AM
Ooo! Those chalk board horses have potential too! You could use a larger one in the design (maybe do a black and silver cup theme?) or the smaller ones as place cards, or some combination!

Happyhooves
Aug. 2, 2011, 03:25 PM
Depending upon your budget...a couple of thoughts: Smartpak has a silver metal oxer napkin holder that could be used different ways (I've used it to hold bills). And Horse Country in Warrenton has a small pair of boots in their on-line catalogue under the gifts/escritoire section (shown with pencils in it) that you could put wildflowers or something else in. Right now I have a little tablescape on my table that is made up of two pairs of these boots flanking the oxer napkin holder with a small horse sculpture and a just-won metal trophy plate propped up behind. The tablecloth is a piece of horsey fabric. Please post a photo of what you end up doing, OP.

Kryswyn
Aug. 2, 2011, 10:33 PM
Definitely call Horse Country. Ask for Jean (though anyone else can help you too) and tell them what you're doing. They LOVE this kind of challenge!
1(800)882-4686 or www.horsecountrycarrot.com They have one of kind things that aren't in the catalog.

4Hunters
Aug. 3, 2011, 08:49 AM
Check out these equestrian-inspired scented candles. Not only is the packaging beautiful (and horse-oriented), they smell wonderful!

https://www.deuxchevauxproducts.com/Products/Scents/

outside__line
Aug. 3, 2011, 01:09 PM
We have an ever-evolving fox hunting table in our dining room. I do it differently for various holidays or events (birthdays, anniversaries, etc) but the main components include:

- Cream table runner with gold and green tapestry ribbon stitched down the center. If you can use a sewing machine AT ALL, you can make a table runner - all straight seams. Use fabric with a little shimmer to make it dressy - mine is a fairly solid cream with a dusting of gold threads. Beautiful in candlelight.

You could also do a few squares of fabric, turned on their sides to make diamonds down the table, over a white or other solid color. Stitching ribbon on around the edge can dress them up and make them match your color scheme (or camouflage a bit of uneven stitching, if you are quite clever about it.) It might be fun to get blue, red, and yellow silk ribbon and use the tricolor theme in your linens (without using anyone's real ribbons.)

- Glass, footed centerpiece bowl. I sometimes hook recent horse show ribbons around the edge of mine. (For this purpose, I actually love white, green, pink, or yellow ribbons - haha!) You could then put one or more candles, fruit, pinecones, etc in it. Maybe be dramatic and unexpected - fill it with glass drops or river rocks and then set a horse (love those chalkboard horses!) on top. My favorite bowl is from Crate and Barrel, but Target, Wal-mart, and Michaels have interesting glass pieces you could incorporate.

- 3 green pillar candles (shade matches ribbon of runner). I took 3 coordinating shades of ribbon, layered, and hot glued (under the ribbon, so it's not visible) around the middle of each - then hung a little 'pendant' from the Michaels jewelry aisle on each one: the pendant is a little oval with a fox on a green background. Each sits on a 50 cent small gold 'charger' I found at World Market (another great place for cost effective but interesting tablescape components!)

- We have pewter fox and hounds salt and pepper shakers from Horse Country. The salt fox "sits" and the pepper fox "pounces" so you can tell them apart. ;-) I was given a set of coasters with hunt scenes painted on, so sometimes they make an appearance depending on the formality of the meal. We order the after-dinner mints from HC in the decorative tins and set them at each place (sometime with a place card or note attached, when I am feeling really fancy)

I set the table with white and gold plates over large gold chargers, napkins in cream and green, etc. In the summer, I have nixed the candles and put a row of real herbs growing in terra cotta pots down the center of the table (on saucers, and wipe off the pots before they go on the table!) - that added a nice outdoors feeling to the whole arrangement. In the fall, the centerpiece bowl gets a big arrangement of seasonal fruit and leaves; in the winter, cream and gold Christmas ornaments I can't seem to stop buying... and I have fox, hound, and horse ornaments too.

It's nice because if you choose the right color combinations, you can use and reuse the elements in any season, or add to make it over-the-top for a big event (like you are doing) and then not be stuck with stuff you can never use again.

It all looks very "horse world" without being too literal, which I like.

Horse Country does have a lot of wonderful things - and they are super with this sort of project. :) The only problem, of course, is that when you look at the catalog it is hard not to call up and ask for one of everything! :lol:

(I guess I should also mention that my dining room table is in excess of ten feet long, and while it would never occur to me on my own, thanks to DH's military career, I sometimes find myself hosting large dinners that require this sort of artistic endeavor... and I secretly enjoy it.)

Please report back and share pictures of your table! Would love to see what you come up with!

MIKES MCS
Aug. 3, 2011, 06:01 PM
Thanks alot , Just went to that website.. OYE!!!! I can feel the need ..

MIKES MCS
Aug. 3, 2011, 06:09 PM
Don't forget Arthur Court Pewter serving pieces
http://www.arthurcourt.com/

fair judy
Aug. 4, 2011, 01:23 PM
We won the table contest for the local steeplechase one year with an elegantly appointed all antique theme. It doesn't hurt that I am from the late 60's showing vintage and trophies were good silver then!

You could probably find the most unique pieces on ebay for next to nothing and one of a kind are not going to be seen on other tables.

Old boots, spurs, bridles, whips, and tack boxes can be re-purposed. Try to avoid coming off as anything Ralph-ish and keep it simple and ADULT.

See if you can locate coolers from very recognizable shows like the old MSG to use as tablecloth/runner. The year we won I had a good friend let me use the winner trophy from the ASPCA. Name dropping will get you everywhere.......