PDA

View Full Version : Any news on Denny?

wicked1
Aug. 1, 2011, 08:17 PM
Denny had a nasty tunble this weekend at Stoneleigh-Burnham does anyone have an update?

JER
Aug. 1, 2011, 08:31 PM
Oh, no -- I hope he's okay.

I wasn't there but my mares were and I heard (1) the atmosphere was somewhat chaotic and (2) the P and T courses were rather rigorous, with very unwelcoming waters.

My mares had a good time at the Little Stuff Level, whatever it was called.

ACMEeventing
Aug. 1, 2011, 08:44 PM
Oh no no no no no . . . An update quickly please. Fingers crossed for good news.

TallyhoFarms
Aug. 1, 2011, 09:07 PM
According to his facebook page, he's in a halo at the hospital where they are waiting until Wed to decide if they will do surgery. Not much posted about what type of injuries etc so that's all I know. Sending good vibes for a quick recovery!

Lisa Cook
Aug. 1, 2011, 09:13 PM
My thoughts continue to be with the big guy: kick on, Denny! :)

Laurierace
Oh no! Jingles for a swift recovery.

deltawave
Crap. Many jingles for Denny and a speedy recovery!

asterix
Aug. 1, 2011, 09:24 PM
Major jingles for one of my favorite eventers, ever :(

Noctis
Aug. 1, 2011, 09:27 PM
damn. just damn. sending HUGE jingles for Denny....

scubed
Aug. 1, 2011, 09:29 PM
That is very unhappy news. Big jingles

fooler
Aug. 1, 2011, 09:31 PM
Major Jingles for Denny!

Dr. Doolittle
Aug. 1, 2011, 09:32 PM
:no:

Hope there is encouraging news, soon...

LLDM
Aug. 1, 2011, 09:34 PM
Bummer! Hope you heal quickly, Denny with no surgery required!

SCFarm

Carol Ames
Aug. 1, 2011, 09:36 PM
big BIG BIG jingles from Virginia!:yes:

RAyers
Aug. 1, 2011, 09:43 PM
Prayers from me! Head and neck injuries just suck.

For a second there I thought the COTH statue thread may have caused his hospitalization.

Reed

FLeckenAwesome
Aug. 1, 2011, 09:45 PM
Oh no... prayers and jingles that he's back in the saddle soon!!

seeuatx
Aug. 1, 2011, 09:48 PM
Oh goodness. Get well soon, Denny.

pcwertb
Aug. 1, 2011, 09:52 PM
Hope no surgery is needed! Jingles for Denny.

JER
Aug. 1, 2011, 10:02 PM
I can only imagine the look on the attending MD's face...

MD: Mr. Emerson, you're how old and you were doing what?

:D

maxxtrot
Aug. 1, 2011, 10:03 PM
sending healing jingles and vibes from florida. get well soon denny

Debbie
Aug. 1, 2011, 10:04 PM
Jingles for a speedy recovery Denny!

NRB
Aug. 1, 2011, 10:10 PM
jingles from Va, hopeful for a speedy recovery.

CANTEREOIN
Sending jingles to Denny... He rode Novice and competes there every summer. I hope it is a short painless recovery!

And just a note about SBS Horse Trials... everything said is well known in Area 1 except for the chaotic part. Generally, it is a very nicely run show... not sure if this year was chaotic ...

bornfreenowexpensive
more jingles.....hope it isn't too series and he has a swift painless recover!

Horsegal984
Aug. 1, 2011, 10:13 PM
Jingles from me as well! While I'm sure Denny doesn't remember our meeting, I really appreciated the time he made to teach me and make sure I learned from watching another's lesson.

Kick on, and get well soon!

Lisa Cook
Aug. 1, 2011, 10:16 PM
Sending jingles to Denny... He rode Novice and competes there every summer. I hope it is a short painless recovery!

And just a note about SBS Horse Trials... everything said is well known in Area 1 except for the chaotic part. Generally, it is a very nicely run show... not sure if this year was chaotic ...

It seemed like every other Stoneleigh event I've been to...I don't think I would consider it chaotic. The fall was at the novice ditch that has been there forever. Green horse, though.

DLee
Aug. 1, 2011, 10:17 PM
I knew facebook was quieter this morning. :( Wishing the very best recovery.

Eventer13
Aug. 1, 2011, 10:19 PM
Major jingles for Denny!!!

goodmorning
Aug. 1, 2011, 10:23 PM
Noticed the results & lack of horse stuff popping up on FB - was hoping there was no correlation.

Get well soon, Denny!

Lisa Cook
Aug. 1, 2011, 10:26 PM
Denny yesterday, in stadium. (http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/6356/dsc0070sc.jpg)

Sometimes I wonder if I'll even be riding at 70.....

SevenDogs
Aug. 1, 2011, 10:28 PM
Sorry to hear about this! They don't come any tougher than Denny. Best wishes for a quick recovery!!

quietann
Aug. 1, 2011, 10:32 PM
eek! I hope he recovers completely and quickly... he's an amazing guy!

retreadeventer
Aug. 1, 2011, 10:47 PM
Awaiting any news...meanwhile, many many jingles...and prayers! Please let it be just a precaution....and he'll be fine as soon as possible!

RSEventer
Aug. 1, 2011, 10:57 PM
Many prayers for Denny and family. I love his facebook posting and am in complete awe of his horsemanship....he is my hero, so down to earth, so knowledgable.....so.....cool! Get well soon, Denny!!!!

BaroquePony
Aug. 1, 2011, 11:00 PM
For a minute there I thought maybe the jump crew from Rebecca moved that danged statue up to Stoneleigh.

Hope he feels better soon and that everything turns out to be fine :yes:.

shea'smom
Aug. 1, 2011, 11:55 PM
I hate to hear this and I will be praying for good news soon. Dang it.

ezmissg
Aug. 2, 2011, 12:04 AM
Jingles, prayers, and best wishes for a speedy and uncomplicated recovery!

ltmac
Aug. 2, 2011, 12:30 AM
So sorry to hear about this! I read on EN that he stood up immediately after the fall, hopefully that's a good sign. Get well soon, Denny!

mg
Aug. 2, 2011, 12:34 AM
Many jingles for a quick and pain-free recovery!

IFG
Aug. 2, 2011, 01:27 AM
Many jingles for Denny. I do not even want to know how he got from Stoneleigh to Dartmouth-Hitchcock. That is at least an hour and half ride. He is mighty tough.

netg
Aug. 2, 2011, 01:55 AM

I can't imagine given how the ER docs there acted when I went in and told them a horse had fallen on me when I was 19.

Many jingles for Denny. I do not even want to know how he got from Stoneleigh to Dartmouth-Hitchcock. That is at least an hour and half ride. He is mighty tough.

That's what I was wondering, too. Not the shortest trip...

I hope Denny's well soon!

VCT
Aug. 2, 2011, 01:55 AM
Jingling for Denny... hoping for good news!

KateR
Aug. 2, 2011, 05:42 AM
Here's hoping for a quick recovery

easykeeper
Aug. 2, 2011, 06:49 AM
Jingles Denny....prayers for a speedy recovery!

buschkn
Aug. 2, 2011, 07:44 AM
Denny is amazing in every regard and I send all my positive thoughts his way for a speedy recovery. My heart was in my throat when I saw the title of the thread. Hoping he is ok, and I know he is in excellent hands if he is at Dartmouth.

I was planning to read some more of his book this morning, think I'll do that now...

TKR
Aug. 2, 2011, 07:57 AM
Love that picture -- the consummate horseman! Nice horse, too -- Jingles and prayers for Denny and a full recovery!
PennyG

Auburn
Aug. 2, 2011, 08:34 AM
Jingling and praying for a smooth recovery from KY.

Would you please keep the updates coming?

grayarabpony
Aug. 2, 2011, 08:37 AM
Hugs and jingles to Denny and his family.

SueCoo2
Aug. 2, 2011, 09:08 AM
Just want to add my own well wishes for a speedy recovery. :yes:

Aussie08
Aug. 2, 2011, 09:08 AM
Our thoughts and prayers go with Denny and his family.

Oberon13
Aug. 2, 2011, 09:11 AM
Serious jingles here for Denny, too! Get well soon!

Jeito
Aug. 2, 2011, 09:29 AM
Though I'm not an eventer, Denny is amazing and my hero. Sending him jingles.

Kairoshorses
Aug. 2, 2011, 09:34 AM
Jingles (and lots of advil) from TX. Denny is up there with the Woff in terms of my all-time heroes.

Phaxxton
Aug. 2, 2011, 09:36 AM
Many prayers and jingles for a quick recovery! Much love to Denny and all those close to him!

FoxChaser
Aug. 2, 2011, 09:37 AM
Jingles from here too! I'm just waiting for my little ones too get a wee bit older so that I can go enjoy Denny Camp. Kick on, Denny! Hope you heal quickly!

Lord Helpus
Aug. 2, 2011, 09:46 AM
Adding my thoughts and wishes for a speedy recovery. We want to see you back down here in Southern Pines, Denny! You have many more miles to ride and many more people to teach and many more horses to train.

All fingers and toes crossed for a good outcome.

magnolia73
Aug. 2, 2011, 10:01 AM
Oh dear! Hope he is up and getting around soon.

amastrike
Aug. 2, 2011, 10:11 AM
Yikes, I hope a halo isn't as serious as it sounds! Get well soon, Denny!

monstrpony
Aug. 2, 2011, 10:12 AM
More jingles and good wishes from yet another long-time fan!

Arcadien
Aug. 2, 2011, 10:16 AM
Love that stadium picture too - what a classic rider!

Sending well wishes & speedy healing vibes from NJ.

dianehalpin
Aug. 2, 2011, 10:30 AM
Jingling from Virginia. Denny, we all miss you on FB.

Xctrygirl
Aug. 2, 2011, 10:51 AM
Did anyone see what happened?

I mean an eyewitness account would go a bit further to understanding how he fell etc.

Jingles to Vt in the meantime.

~Emily

JP60
Aug. 2, 2011, 11:07 AM
All the best wishes and jingles to you Denny for a speedy recovery.

Folks, keep in mind that while he heals he'll have even more time for mixing it up on COTH. I for one look forward to what next great thought will cross his mind to share with us ;)

I got many many years till I can look as good as he and his horse do in that photo. Inspiring!

ddashaq
Aug. 2, 2011, 11:08 AM
Many jingles from Kentucky! Fingers crossed for a swift recovery.:)

frugalannie
Aug. 2, 2011, 11:41 AM
Many jingles for Denny and empathy for May who has to deal with him whilst he's laid up. I can't help but think that Denny will be a bit...ummmm...impatient with the idea of being a patient.

Perhaps Denny will blog about health care while laid up. The results would be an education for every caregiver around.

Denny, you are a real role model. Now you can show us how to heal.

Wishing you a rapid, uncomplicated recovery.

JSwan
Aug. 2, 2011, 11:47 AM
Wishing you a full and speedy recovery, Denny!

jumpsnake
Aug. 2, 2011, 11:51 AM
Jingles from KY! Get well soon Denny!

Rallycairn
Aug. 2, 2011, 12:04 PM
Jingles and good thoughts for a speedy recovery. Will never forget hearing Denny speak at Southern Pines years ago. Get well soon!

Maryalden
Aug. 2, 2011, 12:10 PM
We always knew you were an angel, Denny. Now it seems you have the "halo" to prove it.

Here's wishing you a very speedy recovery from CA.

Bravestrom
Aug. 2, 2011, 12:11 PM
Sending lots of jingles and wishes for a speedy recovery. I too as wondering why he was quiet on fb

Toadie's mom
Aug. 2, 2011, 12:18 PM
Best wishes from TX! You have my utmost sympathy as I'm finding these neck injuries take WAY too long to heal.

Actually Denny's probably in better shape than I was to begin with, so he'll be up and at 'em in no time:D

Heinz 57
Aug. 2, 2011, 12:20 PM
The boys and I are jingling for you all the way from Oregon.

We hope to see you topside again soon!

Eventcrazy
Aug. 2, 2011, 12:30 PM
Sending lots of jingles and wishes for a speedy recovery.

War Admiral
Aug. 2, 2011, 12:33 PM
Jingles for you Denny!!

wsmoak
Aug. 2, 2011, 12:37 PM
Get well soon Denny!

ThirdCharm
Aug. 2, 2011, 12:54 PM
Drat! Best wishes from NC too!

Jennifer

babyeventer23
Aug. 2, 2011, 01:07 PM
Jingles to Denny for a quick and full recovery.

riderboy
Aug. 2, 2011, 01:08 PM
Very best wishes for a speedy recovery. Sorry to hear when anyone is injured, but for a guy who has done so much for our sport it's tough. If you're gonna get hurt, though, it's a better story than tripping over the laundry basket.

ellebeaux
Aug. 2, 2011, 01:12 PM
Jingles to you Denny!

fish
Aug. 2, 2011, 01:38 PM
More jingles for Denny, with hopes for more detailed news soon. Denny's the greatest. Fingers crossed that we'll be hearing from him directly, in all accustomed spirits!

2ndyrgal
Aug. 2, 2011, 01:41 PM
who was getting a bit long in the tooth (mind you this was waaaay before any safety equipment of any kind) and folks kept asking him when he was going to retire. His response was " As long as it's still fun, I'll keep doing it". Days later, he was involved in one of the most spectacular wrecks in NASCAR history. When his wife caught up with the old goat in the ER, the first thing she said to him was...

"Are we still having fun Honey???"

Denny, heal fast, but listen to...
a) your wife
b) your doctors

Take good care, Irish prayers coming your way from Kentucky.

clivers
Aug. 2, 2011, 01:45 PM
Oh no!! Sending jingles and healing vibes from Ontario. Get well soon Denny!!!

BBowen
Aug. 2, 2011, 01:56 PM

Okay, in light of the shock about Denny's fall, this did bring a chuckle at the thought. I am sure Denny would chuckle as well.

Sending prayers and jingles Denny's way for a speedy recovery. It just isn't the same without Denny on the COTH forums and FB.

Jaegermonster
Aug. 2, 2011, 02:02 PM
Best wishes Denny, you have touched so many of us. Get better soon!

Anyone have an update on his condition and/or more info on what happened?

RiverBendPol
Aug. 2, 2011, 02:55 PM
The event at Stoneleigh was beautiful and beautifully run, as usual. We had the annual consternation about the water and its duckweed/slime but in general, the XC course was fair, big, challenging and FUN for those of us who made it around...NOT including me.

I was horrified to hear of Denny's fall-My daughter was competing Sunday and reported that Denny was none too pleased at the prospect of being carted off in the meat wagon. I'm glad he was and am even more glad he's being treated in a hospital! Very unusual for crotchety old people like us. Heal well, Denny, we'll see you out and about soon.

Fred
Aug. 2, 2011, 03:07 PM
Lots of get well soon and healing wishes and thoughts heading your way Denny, from Ontario...

eventer@heart
Aug. 2, 2011, 03:19 PM
Sending positive, healing thouhts to you, Denny. My barnmate & I competed and were very sorry to hear the ambulance coming. Even more so when we realized it was for you!

Wishing you a very fast & complete recovery. Your amazing level of fitness will surely serve you well in the healing process. We'll sorely miss you at the 3DE @ GMHA next week!!!

PS - Your saddle was left leaning up against my truck (I believe a student of yours was parked next to us and left before we did) and we took it up to the secretary.

Lisa Cook
Aug. 2, 2011, 03:41 PM
PS - Your saddle was left leaning up against my truck (I believe a student of yours was parked next to us and left before we did) and we took it up to the secretary.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR TURNING THE EQUIPMENT IN!!!!!!

I went to Stoneleigh yesterday and picked up the the saddle/breastplate etc and brought it up to Tamarack. That would have been horrible to lose!!

Everyone was in a bit of a tizzy, as you can imagine, but I still can't believe we all drove off, leaving that behind.

lucky dog farm
Aug. 2, 2011, 04:01 PM
Many heart felt jingles for ya Denny! Show them all that you STILL bounce!!

WNT
Aug. 2, 2011, 04:23 PM
Some more big jingles from VA. I only met Denny once, but a couple things he told me really have stuck with me!

Get well soon!

ReveilleandRinsie
Aug. 2, 2011, 04:42 PM
Big jingles from Idaho too! Heal quickly and completely, Denny!

Arbitrary
Aug. 2, 2011, 05:07 PM
I'm just an old wannabe eventer, but I hope your recovery is speedy and full!

cranky
Aug. 2, 2011, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eventer@heart

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR TURNING THE EQUIPMENT IN!!!!!!

I went to Stoneleigh yesterday and picked up the the saddle/breastplate etc and brought it up to Tamarack. That would have been horrible to lose!!

Everyone was in a bit of a tizzy, as you can imagine, but I still can't believe we all drove off, leaving that behind.

I just love how everyone in the Eventing world looks out for each other and puts a hand in, where they can!

Hoping Denny is feeling better and back in the saddle very soon.

akor
Aug. 2, 2011, 05:13 PM
JINGLES!!!!

pegasusmom
Aug. 2, 2011, 05:14 PM
Some MEN will go to great lengths to get out of braiding. . . and don't think for one moment I have forgotten your offer!!

Speedy recovery!

ThatScaryChick
Aug. 2, 2011, 05:30 PM
Get well soon, Denny and I wish you a speedy recovery!

baysngreys
Aug. 2, 2011, 05:30 PM
Ouch!
Jingles for a speedy recovery Denny.

RunForIt
Aug. 2, 2011, 05:35 PM
The event at Stoneleigh was beautiful and beautifully run, as usual. We had the annual consternation about the water and its duckweed/slime but in general, the XC course was fair, big, challenging and FUN for those of us who made it around...NOT including me.

I was horrified to hear of Denny's fall-My daughter was competing Sunday and reported that Denny was none too pleased at the prospect of being carted off in the meat wagon. I'm glad he was and am even more glad he's being treated in a hospital! Very unusual for crotchety old people like us. Heal well, Denny, we'll see you out and about soon.

quoting Pol here simply because she's a good buddy and at least within shouting range of my age...just saw that Denny had been hurt and was in a halo - equally horrified...(been out of the loop as it's the first week of the wee children back at school and it's a bit like childbirth each year...if you remembered it, you'd never do it again)....YIKES!!!!!

I spent almost 4 months in a halo due to a broken neck (C2 broken in 3 places, hairlines in the C1 and C3) coming off my beloved boy Rasta the day after Christmas a year and a half ago. Scary times, but I'm back running again and almost riding without panic...almost. At 61, I'm pretty near Denny's age (well sorta :D ) - I have no doubt Denny's gonna be back out eventing within the year...he's just made that way. In the meantime, jingle a lot, pray a lot, and send up lots of toasts and cheer - ALL of that from COTH got me through it all...:cool:

runnyjump
Aug. 2, 2011, 06:47 PM
Denny has always been and inspiration and hero to me. I am hoping they are just being cautious with the halo.

I wonder where he put the halo he wears every day now that he has a new one!

Kick on!

jackalini
Aug. 2, 2011, 06:58 PM
Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery Denny!

shelliblue
Aug. 2, 2011, 07:03 PM
Jingles to Denny!! Thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery!! Miss you on facebook!

selah
Aug. 2, 2011, 07:08 PM
http://eventingnation.com/home/2011/08/good-news-a-denny-emerson-update.html

selah
Aug. 2, 2011, 07:14 PM
http://eventingnation.com/home/2011/08/good-news-a-denny-emerson-update.html

Tamara in TN
Aug. 2, 2011, 07:16 PM
kick and go Mr.Emerson
kick and go! :>
Tamara

frugalannie
Aug. 2, 2011, 07:16 PM
YAY!

Does this mean that Denny will be giving demonstrations at camp next week?

poltroon
Aug. 2, 2011, 07:18 PM
That's great news. Go Denny!

Tamara in TN
Aug. 2, 2011, 07:26 PM
YAY!

Does this mean that Denny will be giving demonstrations at camp next week?

Probably not:)

but I bet it was a clear message to the barn family and help to "now quit standing around looking all danged sorrowful and do something!! " :winkgrin:

Tamara

JSwan
Aug. 2, 2011, 07:28 PM
Whew! Bad about the pain meds, though. Hope they can get him comfortable this evening.

Hope he's back in the saddle again soon.

Calvincrowe
Aug. 2, 2011, 07:50 PM
Speedy recovery wishes from WA! COTH won't be the same without his observations while he's cooped up on the hospital!

On an lighter note....there wasn't a ghostly statue of a horse made of horseshoes anywhere on course was there?:winkgrin:

Laurierace
Aug. 2, 2011, 07:55 PM
Holy cow, a hangman's fracture! Glad to hear he was one of the extremely lucky ones. Continued jingles for a swift recovery.

kcmel
Aug. 2, 2011, 08:00 PM
Great update. Go Denny!

tradewind
Aug. 2, 2011, 08:05 PM
He has the same break I did, and the same amount of time predicted...Hopefully he will pay attention to his doctors and follow their protocol. Best wishes for a very speedy and complete recovery...

Noctis
Aug. 2, 2011, 08:19 PM
Glad to hear a good prognosis, had the same fracture/break plus a lower back break (L1). Heal fast Denny, and hope you get the good meds soon!

CookiePony
Aug. 2, 2011, 08:35 PM
Glad to hear about the good prognosis-- get well quick, Denny!

Lori T
Aug. 2, 2011, 08:45 PM
Good news! Hurry and get well Denny!

blackwly
Aug. 2, 2011, 08:47 PM
I spent almost 4 months in a halo due to a broken neck (C2 broken in 3 places, hairlines in the C1 and C3) coming off my beloved boy Rasta the day after Christmas a year and a half ago. Scary times, but I'm back running again and almost riding without panic...almost. At 61, I'm pretty near Denny's age (well sorta :D ) - I have no doubt Denny's gonna be back out eventing within the year...he's just made that way. In the meantime, jingle a lot, pray a lot, and send up lots of toasts and cheer - ALL of that from COTH got me through it all...:cool:

RunForIt I was thinking of you as soon as I heard this about Denny! So glad you made it through that experience in one piece... halos are not for the faint of heart! I'm sure Denny will rock it while teaching lessons though.

Lisa Preston
Aug. 2, 2011, 08:48 PM
C1 but the cord's fine...er, lucky break? Wow. Take care, good sir.
(And I'm wowed that two different posters above me are graduates of the C1 Fracture Club.Just...wow.)

deltawave
Aug. 2, 2011, 09:02 PM
C1, yikes! That's one tough dude. Continued jingles! :yes:

monstrpony
Aug. 2, 2011, 09:16 PM
Good karma at work, praise be. Jingles for an "uneventful" recovery, hope they get the pain thing sorted out *soon*!!

elmerandharriet
Aug. 2, 2011, 09:39 PM
Good luck on the recovery

annikak
Aug. 2, 2011, 09:48 PM
Holy c-spine moly!! That is quite incredible. Give 'em hell and...the RN's won't know what hit them!

Jingles!!!

Carol Ames
Aug. 2, 2011, 10:18 PM
According to ENI just spoke with Denny Emerson's wife, May, who told me that they have just received word from the doctors that Denny will not need neck surgery following his cross-country fall at the Stoneleigh Burnham Horse Trials on Sunday. As May said, Denny is incredibly fortunate. Denny broke his C1 vertebrae, but he was able to move immediately following the accident and remarkably did not receive damage to his spinal chord. Denny is currently at Dartmouth Hitchcock Hospital in New Hampshire with a halo rig to relieve anyhttp://eventingnation.com/home/2011/08/good-news-a-denny-emerson-update.html

Carol Ames
Aug. 2, 2011, 10:20 PM
Sounds like he had excellent onsite emergency care!:yes:

LetItBe
Aug. 2, 2011, 10:25 PM
Big jingles from a former eventer and eventing forum lurker.

LetItBe

GreyStreet
Aug. 2, 2011, 10:33 PM
Oh wow, he broke his C1 - what a lucky man he is. It could have been such a different story! Fingers crossed for a smooth and complete recovery so he can get back in the saddle.

grayarabpony
Aug. 2, 2011, 11:08 PM
Thank goodness, good news. I hope they can get him on some pain meds quickly..

fooler
Aug. 2, 2011, 11:43 PM
More jingles from SC for Denny!

So glad Denny and his fellow C1 folks have more to do on this earth!

fish
Aug. 3, 2011, 07:52 AM
Glad to read the great prognosis, but the pain meds situation must be frustrating as all get out!!! (I know I'd be screaming for some bourbon if the Drs. weren't giving me anything better!)

Be checking back for better news yet! Go Denny!

OTTB FTW
Aug. 3, 2011, 08:04 AM
Speedy recovery Denny!

Gryhrs
Aug. 3, 2011, 08:33 AM
Oh thank God he will make a full recovery!

Being down & out just stinks but this will give Denny time to write
Part Deux - his next book:)

Get well soon Denny & do everything the nice doctors tell you to do!!

Larbear
Aug. 3, 2011, 08:37 AM
I was there competing on Sunday but was unaware that Denny had a fall, I just saw this now. Speedy recovery and lots of jingles for Denny!

SillyHorse
Aug. 3, 2011, 09:00 AM
Big jingles from a former eventer and eventing forum lurker.

LetItBe
Ditto. Heal well and heal fast, Denny.

Claudius
Aug. 3, 2011, 09:40 AM
My sister is grappling with pain med balancing and it is no easy task with many side effects. Prayers for you Denny and wishing a steady recovery.

NevaLC
Aug. 3, 2011, 09:56 AM
Huge jingles to you, Denny! I hope you have a speedy recovery and that they figure out your pain med soon...

I also broke my C1 in a fall (almost 5 years ago now), and it was the same prognosis for me- 3 months off for healing. I fractured mine in two places, but thankfully, no damage to the spinal cord. I started riding (walking) and running at the 3-month mark. I think I was back to jumping at 6 months.

BAC
Aug. 3, 2011, 10:11 AM
I am a great admirer of Denny, and so happy to hear such a positive prognosis. He is very lucky.

Pippigirl
Aug. 3, 2011, 10:14 AM
Big jingles to Denny and here's to a good speedy recovery! I was lucky enough to be there and finally get a chance to see some of his riding :)

Listen to the medical team Denny! :P

Rhiannonjk
Aug. 3, 2011, 10:34 AM
Now that Denny appears to be ok, I'm going to echo the jingles for May.

Pippigirl
Aug. 3, 2011, 10:46 AM

lol! Good point, yeh...big jingles for May!

fooler
Aug. 3, 2011, 10:57 AM

Totally agree
Especially if Denny is like my darling DH who is not a good patient. . . so definitely jingles for May and maybe for Denny if he gets on her last nerve :lol::lol:

PonyGal08
Aug. 3, 2011, 11:11 AM
Heal fast Denny! Many prayers and jingles to you and your family!

Lisa Cook
Aug. 3, 2011, 02:29 PM

Where's the "like" button? :)

kookicat
Aug. 3, 2011, 03:09 PM
Sending jingles!

RunForIt
Aug. 3, 2011, 05:43 PM
Where's the "like" button? :)

me too! In fact, I may send May my dear hubby's email address - he weathered many a storm during my "halo days" and can probably be a sounding board for what May is and will be going through the next 3 or so months...:D

columbus
Aug. 3, 2011, 07:48 PM
Okay!!! Everyone in the cheap seats move over one...make room for Denny!!!PatO

ss3777
Aug. 3, 2011, 07:56 PM
you just cannot keep a good man down! Quick healing vibes heading your way Denny!!!!

retreadeventer
Aug. 3, 2011, 10:12 PM
Yes, RunForIt, I was thinking of you! You could probably help a LOT with that halo deal. Remember, only angels have halos or what was that angel thing we always said to keep your spirits up? In any case, jingles for May and continued prayers for Denny! :)

Foggy Clouds
Aug. 3, 2011, 10:35 PM
I was just at Mary Hitchcock three weeks ago for surgery and was not happy with their pain meds. They kept giving me morphine which doesn't work (for me). Hope a quick resolution to the pain is in the works and that May is able to keep Denny under control long enough to heal!

frugalannie
Aug. 4, 2011, 07:48 AM
Was Foggy Clouds your screen name before the morphine? (just kidding!)

Pain control can be difficult to get right. I sometimes wonder if it's trickier in people, especially eventers, who have just gone on through pain that would stop a normal mortal in their tracks. Maybe our pain receptors are wired differently or something, but managing pain that breaks through that "git 'er done" capacity just seems harder to do.

On the other hand, the RX for May and the rest of the Tamarack family might include many pitchers of margaritas.

kcrubin
Aug. 4, 2011, 08:06 AM
When his pain is managed, which is hopefully yesterday, maybe he will write his next book during this down time . . .

I have been lucky enough to ride with Denny a couple of times at clinics at Radnor and he is a great speaker as well. He told a story that allowed visualization of why riders sometimes don't improve and get better due to mentally placing limitations on themseves was a turning point for me. It's about ants in a jar if you ask him when he comes back online.

I also have a very fond memory of being on the bus from parking to the horse park in Georgia for the Olympics with him. It was very early in the morning - about 6am - Denny was trying to explain the the Georgia bus driver why it was important for us to leave for the horse park even though the bus wasn't full. The driver was a local boy and didn't understand since the horse ridin didn't start till 10 o'clock. Denny was quickly trying to explain the jog and it was just hilarious as an onlooker being from Georgia and knowing what the bus driver was probably thinking as well!!

ivy62
Aug. 4, 2011, 09:23 AM
Big Apple jingles to all who are involved. I am recently a spectator of eventing and Denny has had wonderful insight to this sport for those joining in. Speedy recovery....

swmorse
Aug. 4, 2011, 08:56 PM
I don't event or post much, but I do have a lot of respect for Denny, So I thought I'd better add my get well soon wishes too.

Glad to hear you'll soon be up and about.

MintHillFarm
Aug. 4, 2011, 09:06 PM
Sending good thoughts from NY! Wishing you a speedy recovery!

RiverBendPol
Aug. 4, 2011, 10:39 PM
OK, OK, it has been 4 DAYS now, we need an update! Denny??? May? Please tell us you're OK? ;)

LAZ
Aug. 4, 2011, 10:55 PM
Best of luck for a speedy recovery.

Having just been through this with a good friend (she fractured C3, C4, C7) I can tell you the recovery is not always from broken to well, but in graduations of improvement, requiring a lot of PT, stoicism, hard work and good meds. I hope we hear from Denny or his spokes person as soon as they feel up to it, but in the meantime I will send all healing & comfortable vibes that I have available to Denny!

RiverBendPol
Aug. 5, 2011, 06:05 AM
He's going home today. No phone calls please. (Facebook update)

canyonoak
Aug. 5, 2011, 09:34 AM
He's going home??

WAHOO!

Hoping for complete,speedy, uneventful recovery.

KarenC
Aug. 5, 2011, 09:35 AM
From another one who's been there, done that...I don't know who has the hardest road ahead, Denny or his family and friends...stuffing an active person into a halo is not fun for anyone involved...

Positive healing thoughts going out to all...

RiverBendPol
Aug. 5, 2011, 09:57 AM
From another one who's been there, done that...I don't know who has the hardest road ahead, Denny or his family and friends...stuffing an active person into a halo is not fun for anyone involved...

Like putting a 3-day horse on stall rest. Too bad Denny can't be loaded up with Reserpine for the next 3 months ;)

fooler
Aug. 5, 2011, 11:00 AM
RiverBendPolQuote:
Originally Posted by KarenC http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5759613#post5759613)

Like putting a 3-day horse on stall rest. Too bad Denny can't be loaded up with Reserpine for the next 3 months ;)

At least with a horse you can give a little shot of "relax" before the hand walks and use a chain. How will May keep Denny from heading straight to the lesson ring?? :lol:

kateh
Aug. 6, 2011, 01:55 AM
Super jingles Denny! From a fellow vertebra-breaker (albeit a much "easier" break than a C1!), my advice:
-get one of these (http://www.childtoysstore.com/images/EDU%2020%20Robot%20Arm.jpg)
-Vicodin + empty stomach = no more Vicodin

Wayside
Aug. 6, 2011, 09:44 AM
More *Jingles* for Denny and May. Hope the recovery is as fast and uneventful as possible under the circumstances.

Carol Ames
Aug. 6, 2011, 06:07 PM
Super jingles for Denny , also May, from another who has also "been there", though without a halo; "only" a Philadelphia collar which, I wore to Rolex, where I stood next to Denny; as he told me of Beth Perkins' cervical fracture; Denny, you were there with Apple and your big grey horse;We are all so very blessed to have had such injuries and been able to go home again;; as well as to have such wonderful memories; This was all a decade or more before Chris Reeves' accident;so, to me it was just another annoying fracture which, would keep me out of Rolex:mad::sadsmile:; I was back riding asap too soon old, too late smart:o. in hindsight ( 20- 20:lol:) I could/ should have rested for several months giving my cns time to heal and rest;Denny every injury is different we all heal differently, so, please listen to your body and take all the time you need; I hope you are able to get some physical and occupational therapy; as a horsewoman/ instructor, I found/ find it fascinating. I will be certain to add prayers for you and your family in church , tomorrow!:yes:

LookmaNohands
Aug. 6, 2011, 09:57 PM
Denny,

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!!

Just finished your book and it is AWESOME!

May,
LTJ's book, "TTOUCH for You" would come in handy about now!!

Been doing TTouch on my 87 year old mother and she is better!

OTTB FTW
Aug. 7, 2011, 09:59 AM
Jingling for speedy, complete heal, and surviving the boredom!

Carol Ames
Aug. 8, 2011, 09:28 PM
definitely use TTOUCH; it is so simple and noninvasive, it seems it couldn't possibly :no:help but, it does:cool:!

paint hunter
Aug. 8, 2011, 11:37 PM
Kateh: absolutely agree on the grabber. Very handy!

I had a SO who was in a halo for 4 months. Since he had to sponge bathe and couldn't get the sheepskin padding wet, washing hair became a nightmare. After about 10 days, I took out my A5 horse clippers and bodyclipped his head. Voila! I could now wash his buzz cut with a washcloth. Just don't let the buzzing blades touch any of the head screws as the vibration into the skull is, shall we say, a "unique" experience. Shaved him every week.

And don't worry. The hair grows back.

Tamsin
Aug. 9, 2011, 11:19 AM
Denny, I wanted to add my good wishes for your full and rapid recovery. I bought a copy of your recent book as a gift for my daughter and she loves it. It's both practical and inspiring--a must-read for all ambitious young riders. Hang in there and heal fast! Tamsin

retreadeventer
Aug. 9, 2011, 07:49 PM
I don't think we can wish Denny well enough times. Keeping the jingles going! :)

shea'smom
Aug. 9, 2011, 10:54 PM
I'll add another jingle.
I have been lucky enough to get lessons with Denny when he is in Southern Pines. Wishing him a speedy recovery.

frugalannie
Aug. 10, 2011, 11:31 AM
I seem to recall from a couple of ...ummm...incidents of my own that days 10 and 11 were the worst. Something about swelling.

So, Denny, many jingles for you, a cool calming beverage for May, and remember that this will pass and you will be getting a bit better every day.

2ndyrgal
Aug. 10, 2011, 01:26 PM
Oh, Denny, I remember well when I missed your eventing camp a couple of years ago, because I blew my knee out ROLLER SKATING, exactly what you told me. (and I'm 50)

"Roller skating!! Don't you know how dangerous that is and how easy it is to get hurt?!"

Feel better, do what May tells you the doctors told her to tell you to do, or not to do. Remember, she's cooking all your meals now.

A good friend of mine, who is, ehem, mature, though not quite as mature as Denny had a similar injury while out foxhunting. She's made a complete recovery, still rides, still hunts. She was however, a VERY good girl when it came to all her PT and rehab. This is, as JW would put it, what we call a clue.