PDA

View Full Version : Would these items be OK for a rated show?

Haf N Haf
Aug. 1, 2011, 05:49 PM
I am considering going to my first (and possibly only) rated dressage show. I don't show rated because of the distance, cost and strict requirements (attire, etc.).

I have clothes that should be acceptable for this show. The only question is my half chaps and my saddle pad.

But I didn't know if my current pad would be acceptable? It's an AP pad as I don't own a dressage saddle. Sorry, I don't have a great picture. It's a white pad with a purple rope trim (Pony's color is purple :D).

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n143/Mare1083/Mlark/CAF9-11-10Dressage1.jpg

My half chaps are ProChaps. The rules state that half chaps must be of leather or leather-like material. My ProChaps are leather except for the rear "stretchy" panel is fabric. Not terribly noticeable once mounted.

http://www.equestriancollections.com/mmEQC/Images/items/WE03611/WE03611-a.jpg

What do you think, OK or not?

Beentheredonethat
Aug. 1, 2011, 06:43 PM
You're good.

PiaffePlease
Aug. 2, 2011, 02:59 PM
The is from the USEF rulebook for Dressage:

DR120 Dress.
Half chaps, gaiters and/or leggings are not allowed. Gloves of conservative color are recommended. Exception: Riders through First Level may wear half-chaps, gaiters or leggings in solid black or brown, without fringe, matching the color of their boots, and made of smooth leather or leather-like material.

DR121 Saddlery and Equipment.
1. An English type saddle with stirrups is compulsory for Federation and USDF tests. An English type saddle may be constructed with or without a tree but cannot have a horn, swell, gallerie, or open gullet......Saddle pads are optional, but should be white or of conservative color.

wildlifer
Aug. 2, 2011, 04:54 PM
You will be fine.

Haf N Haf
Aug. 3, 2011, 02:42 PM

DR120 Dress.
Half chaps, gaiters and/or leggings are not allowed. Gloves of conservative color are recommended. Exception: Riders through First Level may wear half-chaps, gaiters or leggings in solid black or brown, without fringe, matching the color of their boots, and made of smooth leather or leather-like material.

DR121 Saddlery and Equipment.
1. An English type saddle with stirrups is compulsory for Federation and USDF tests. An English type saddle may be constructed with or without a tree but cannot have a horn, swell, gallerie, or open gullet......Saddle pads are optional, but should be white or of conservative color.

Thank you, but I had already read the rule book. What it did not answer for me was the specific details about my items. Also, my chaps could be argued that the stretchy panel is no different than gussets on some of the tall boots they have (ex: Fuller Fillies tall boots). It looks like most seem to think it will pass.

I've talked with the secretary and unless I ride intro I am looking at some ridiculous fees. She also said at intro level my attire won't be nit picked. Thanks to those who responded!

MysticOakRanch
Aug. 4, 2011, 12:24 PM
You are fine at Training and First Level too - you won't be nitpicked. Half-chaps with stretch in them are perfectly allowable through First Level. Look for a show with Opportunity Classes - then the fees won't be so bad:winkgrin:

mbm
Aug. 4, 2011, 12:27 PM
btw: i love the idea of opportunity classes!

Kelly in NJ
Aug. 4, 2011, 12:33 PM
My friend got eliminated for riding in half chaps like yours at a recognized show. Too bad, because she would have won her class. Training level, BTW.

If the judge notices, or the TD notices, or a competitor notices and tells the TD, you will be eliminated.

Just want you to be fully aware before you invest in a recognized show and then possibly be excused. It is completely the TDs discretion.

This is more like what is allowed, where you can hardly tell it's not a boot:
http://www.doversaddlery.com/ariat-monaco-half-chaps/p/X1-35563/cn/1934/

or

http://www.doversaddlery.com/tredstep-pro-gaiter-half-chaps/p/X1-35192/cn/1934/

Velvet
Aug. 4, 2011, 12:52 PM
When in doubt, actually go to the USEF and ASK them! Then, if there's a disagreement and the judge or TD think you're wrong but the USEF has said you're okay, you can go back and have it settled and get everyone properly educated. :yes:

cuatx55
Aug. 4, 2011, 01:00 PM
Let is know the outcome---I also found this quite confusing.

I have tall boots for showing but this issue should really be cleared up. Why can't they put photos of acceptable and unacceptable half chaps???

If its raining or there is some other issue with boots I'm sure many of us would like to have the option to wear half chaps with out all this confusion.

mbm
Aug. 4, 2011, 01:02 PM
My half chaps are ProChaps. The rules state that half chaps must be of leather or leather-like material. My ProChaps are leather except for the rear "stretchy" panel is fabric. Not terribly noticeable once mounted.

http://www.equestriancollections.com/mmEQC/Images/items/WE03611/WE03611-a.jpg

What do you think, OK or not?

not sure where you read in the rules that half chaps are allowed? i just looked them up and it says pretty clearly that in T- 4th half chaps are NOT allowed.

if you are showing intro it might be different but i would call the USEF/USDF/show secretary and ask them.

SillyHorse
Aug. 4, 2011, 01:05 PM
not sure where you read in the rules that half chaps are allowed? i just looked them up and it says pretty clearly that in T- 4th half chaps are NOT allowed.

if you are showing intro it might be different but i would call the USEF/USDF/show secretary and ask them.

DR120 Dress.
This indeed is the current rule.

mbm
Aug. 4, 2011, 08:02 PM
haha! they got me because the first usage of the phrase was "half chaps" the second one is "half-chaps"

my search only found the first.

SillyHorse
Aug. 5, 2011, 08:12 AM
I don't think anyone will ever claim they are particularly literate. :lol: