PDA

View Full Version : There's a Gator in our pond Update and question for 2Jakes

wireweiners
Aug. 1, 2011, 05:32 PM
We have a small pond on our place right where I keep my horses. Last Friday morning, I was feeding and watering and the horses and went to the breaker box next to the pond to shut the pump off. One of the dogs was splashing around in the edge of the pond. I looked over at her and there in the middle of the pond was an alligator!:eek: I called Sadie out of the pond and left. I called the Game & Fish people and they came out that evening to try to catch and relocate him. We didn't have any luck. They said he would most likely leave in a few days. But Wally is still in the pond. He's about 4' long and the G&C people said he'd weigh around 35-40#. They said not to worry too much about the dogs since my dogs are large and weigh about as much or more than the gator. I'm still keeping them away from the pond and locking Sadie up since she'd be the one most likely to try to confront him. Our pond is one of the few places that still has water since I normally pump water into it but since my pump isn't working at full capacity I've not been running water into the pond lately so it is drying up. As it dries, Wally will either move on or be easier to catch and relocate.

Guin
Aug. 1, 2011, 05:53 PM
You have ALLIGATORS in Arkansas?? WTH?

RacetrackReject
Aug. 1, 2011, 05:58 PM
I would very much worry about my dogs with an alligator in the pond. I've seen an alligator launch out of the water and grab a dog off of the dock before. There is a wives' tale around here that alligators love to eat dogs. Not sure there is any truth to it, but I would still be concerned.

Time to get on the GW's butt it seems.

Jaegermonster
Aug. 1, 2011, 07:34 PM
It's no wives tale. We lose several dogs a year to gators in FL. A few years ago there was a big gator in Fort Myers that jumped up out of some water reeds and grabbed a jogger off the sidewalk and killed her.
They are nothing to mess with.

MyssMyst
Aug. 1, 2011, 07:46 PM
I could never live in the south. Gators scare the sh!t out of me.

smokygirl
Aug. 1, 2011, 07:50 PM
I could never live in the south. Gators scare the sh!t out of me.

What scares me more is the idiots who think they will make good pets... and bring them north ..

vacation1
Aug. 1, 2011, 08:11 PM
You have ALLIGATORS in Arkansas?? WTH?

They have them in South Carolina too, which we discovered when vacationing outside Charleston. Bleh. A few more years of summers like this and we'll have them swarming into Philadelphia...

birdsong
Aug. 1, 2011, 09:14 PM
No wive's tale. Gators love dogs. A 4' gator could easily kill one too, simply by latching on and then going into the death spin!

Oh the stories....another one is ....a few years back a 4 yo child was running around one of the numerous lakes behind a condo. Gator leaped out and took her.

Landscaper working on Sanibel when a gator attacked her. she died at the hospital.

Stupid woman once sat out by a lake and fed a gator chicken from her hand. She fell asleep one day and yep...the gator took her hand off.

Its BEAR stories that terrify me!!!!!!!:eek:

shakeytails
Aug. 1, 2011, 09:52 PM
I was kinda thinking gator-kabob. Surely in Arkansas you can find a redneck with a gun! Almost everything is good after it's been marinated a couple of days.

JohnDeere
Aug. 1, 2011, 10:07 PM
Tastes like chicken anyway

nashfad
Aug. 1, 2011, 10:58 PM
You have a gun so you can shoot him like on Swamp Wars? I don't care if it may be illegal------------IMP it is illegal for it to be on my property. It's gotta go. I mean, who is going to know if you shoot i? My dogs and horses and clients mean more to me than any gator.

eks
Aug. 1, 2011, 11:22 PM
I'm in FL and have seen lots of Gators (kind of cool if they are far away and not on your property) But a 4 foot gator definitely weighs more than 35-40 pounds!!

I would keep calling your Game and Fish people.

atr
Aug. 2, 2011, 12:14 AM
Here was I thinking this was going to be about an "oops" driving a farm vehicle...

HuntJumpSC
Aug. 2, 2011, 12:55 AM
We have a pond next to the riding ring that the gators love. They cross over from the swamp branch all the time because it's easy pickin's for fish, turtles, etc...
A 4 footer is enough to be concerned about when it comes to dogs and small kids. We practice the three S's here at the farm, and I always keep a firearm in my truck for just that reason.

JanM
Aug. 2, 2011, 07:33 AM
Kill it now. If relocated they will come back up to 200 miles, and I doubt game & fish is going to drive it that far away. They are not protected, and pose a threat so it's time for it to go away permanently. If you can't do it then ask around until you find someone that will kill it for you. SSS is the only thing with this situation. And when the pond dries up enough it's going to go looking for a new home, and I bet your water trough or the nearest pool will fit nicely for a temporary gator condo.

There was one near my house (fortunately in the area, not really close) and the local cops took it away to a 'sanctuary'. I found out later the 'sanctuary' is to take it down river about 40 miles, then release it. It was back in a week, and had a terrible accident with rather large ammunition. And on the weekends the men who live near the swampy area it came from go hunting. I truly appreciate their dedication, but I'm definitely not going to any of their barbecues.

ReeseTheBeast
Aug. 2, 2011, 08:16 AM
It was back in a week, and had a terrible accident with rather large ammunition.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

2Jakes
Aug. 2, 2011, 08:16 AM
You have a gun so you can shoot him like on Swamp Wars? I don't care if it may be illegal------------IMP it is illegal for it to be on my property. It's gotta go. I mean, who is going to know if you shoot i? My dogs and horses and clients mean more to me than any gator.

Swamp PEOPLE! :lol:

Not Swamp Wars :cool:. We (Swamp Wars people) do not shoot the gators...which is not to say they don't end up dead, but *we* don't shoot them.

A 4' gator could indeed take a good sized dog but if you can just keep the dogs away from the pond for a few days...maybe the gator will move on...although with the drought, if your pond is the only water, it may stay. If you let the water level go down a bit F&G may be able to catch it.

In Florida, F&G allows relocation of smaller gators, they are more likely to stay put. Bigger ones are killed because, yes, they will travel far and wide to get "home".

Alligators are most dangerous when they are fed by people and learn to associate people with food. Compromised alligators (those with missing eyes or appendages) often end up near human inhabitation because they are pushed out of wild areas by stronger gators.

Hoping your gator stays fearful and then moves on. In the meantime just be aware and careful :).

wildlifer
Aug. 2, 2011, 09:35 AM
Ah once again, the "animal" people wish death on the animal. Thank you, 2Jakes.

Just supervise the dog (which is always a good idea anyway) and give the gator some space to move on. He's just trying to survive any way he knows how. It's not like your dog needs to get in the pond to live.

Alligators are not some kind of sinister death monster. We work alongside many in the coastal plain of NC -- they are quick to leap away and often I don't see anything more than a disappearing tail. If a tasty donut, I mean, lap dog, rolls into an alligator's range, he cannot be demonized for making a meal of it.

Alagirl
Aug. 2, 2011, 09:42 AM
Here was I thinking this was going to be about an "oops" driving a farm vehicle...

I was hoping it was such...

BoldChance
Aug. 2, 2011, 10:00 AM
Out of curiosity, coming from a Canadian-Girl who has never seen a real, live, breathing, chomping version of these...

Which is more dangerous to dogs/people/etc? Alligators or Crocodiles? What is the difference?

Hope he moves on soon, though. I am not a reptile person. And the idea of sharing my space with something that big, that scaly, with TEETH.....well... I'm not so sure I wouldn't prefer a snake, and I. Don't. Do. Snakes. AT ALL.

Alagirl
Aug. 2, 2011, 10:06 AM
Out of curiosity, coming from a Canadian-Girl who has never seen a real, live, breathing, chomping version of these...

Which is more dangerous to dogs/people/etc? Alligators or Crocodiles? What is the difference?

Hope he moves on soon, though. I am not a reptile person. And the idea of sharing my space with something that big, that scaly, with TEETH.....well... I'm not so sure I wouldn't prefer a snake, and I. Don't. Do. Snakes. AT ALL.

crocs are native to Africa and Australia and can get much bigger than gators, who are native to Northern America.
(then there a Caimans, not sure where they are native at, but they have been dumped in Florida and are a serious problem there...)

Bluey
Aug. 2, 2011, 10:27 AM

Crossed my mind also.:p

Wildlife is fine out in the wild, but when around your house/barns and your animals, I don't think I would be taking chances.

We don't shoot rattlers out in the pastures, but the ones that come around the house and barns, guess what, we hope we see them before we or our animals run into them inadvertedly and are bitten.:eek:

Folks, be sensible, don't bother wildlife unnecessarily, but don't take foolish chances either with the wildlife that can do serious harm.

JSwan
Aug. 2, 2011, 11:48 AM
I'd be googling alligator recipes.

RacetrackReject
Aug. 2, 2011, 11:59 AM
I probably shouldn't have said it was a wives' tale. I just meant that I haven't seen anything scientific that says 9 out of 10 gators prefer the taste of dog over nutria or fish. =)

I grew up in southeast Texas, not far from the place that has the show about capturing alligators, so I'm fairly used to seeing alligators in any area that holds water. While many will flee when people come around, some just won't. I have had an alligator on more than one occassion try to climb in the boat with me. For reference, beating them with a fishing pole doesn't really work, but if you swing the anchor, they can be made to change their mind about boarding your vessel, but you have to move because they will keep coming back and trying.

As for how to eat it, I've had it quite a few ways, but I like it typical southern. Soaked in buttermilk, then battered and fried. Yum!

birdsong
Aug. 2, 2011, 12:34 PM
The smaller ones are usually very shy of people but would certainly make a tasty meal of a dog. In SW Fl they are an every day sight and are just a fact of life.
Crocodiles have been seen in the Gulf here and can tolerate the salt water.
I believe they are considered more dangerous than gators. 2Jakes might know more.
Hopefully yours will move on.

babyeventer23
Aug. 2, 2011, 12:49 PM
Yikes...good luck with the whole thing. That would scare the you-know-what outta me!!! Keep us posted, curious to see how it ends...

Alagirl
Aug. 2, 2011, 01:38 PM
As for how to eat it, I've had it quite a few ways, but I like it typical southern. Soaked in buttermilk, then battered and fried. Yum!

pretty much everything tastes good that way...or smothered in BBQ sauce...

wireweiners
Aug. 2, 2011, 01:50 PM
Well Wally is still hanging out in the pond. The G & C guy is supposed to come back out to try to catch him. He said he could bait a hook for him but that it would kill him. I really don't want to kill him if at all possible. He's not really hurting anything and is just a victim of this vicious heat and drouth. He's kind of cute in a reptilian sort of way. My kid has been taking pictures of him. I'm surprised he's not on her Facebook page yet. He did do something that bothered me this morning. Usually he hangs out in the middle of the pond and just sort of floats there with just his eyes and a bit of tail showing. This morning the dogs were wading around near the bank and he started slowly swimming toward them. So I'll be locking all of them up before I go over there for the time being. The pond is far enough from the house that the dogs don't go over there on their own, especially when it's this hot. He's too small to be a real threat to me or the horses.

They are protected in Arkansas. We may have a gator season like they do in Louisiana but I don't know. I just hope Game & Fish catches him and moves him to someplace more suitable.

wildlifer
Aug. 2, 2011, 01:54 PM
BoldChance, crocodiles are generally more aggressive than alligators and my personal experience has held this to be true. There are crocodiles (very rare) on the east coast, we've even had one or two recorded on the NC coast, but it's VERY VERY rare.

2Jakes
Aug. 2, 2011, 05:28 PM
There are American Crocodiles here in FL but they are uncommon (except for certain areas, like in the waters of Everglades National Park) and they are IME very shy. As soon as you even look towards them they duck underwater. Alligators are far more widespread and account for the vast majority of complaints and negative interactions with people.

Crocs from other regions of the world are much more aggressive and make alligators look relatively not-so-bad.

Wirew, glad that you have help from your Game guys. Hopefully they'll be able to round him up and get him somewhere more appropriate. As long as you are careful to keep the dogs safe it should all work out fine. Thanks for not SSS'ing, I know it's necessary *sometimes*, but usually there are other options that spare the animal and still keep everyone safe :).

Rhyadawn
Aug. 3, 2011, 01:13 PM
Well Wally is still hanging out in the pond. The G & C guy is supposed to come back out to try to catch him. He said he could bait a hook for him but that it would kill him. I really don't want to kill him if at all possible. He's not really hurting anything and is just a victim of this vicious heat and drouth. He's kind of cute in a reptilian sort of way. My kid has been taking pictures of him. I'm surprised he's not on her Facebook page yet. He did do something that bothered me this morning. Usually he hangs out in the middle of the pond and just sort of floats there with just his eyes and a bit of tail showing. This morning the dogs were wading around near the bank and he started slowly swimming toward them. So I'll be locking all of them up before I go over there for the time being. The pond is far enough from the house that the dogs don't go over there on their own, especially when it's this hot. He's too small to be a real threat to me or the horses.

They are protected in Arkansas. We may have a gator season like they do in Louisiana but I don't know. I just hope Game & Fish catches him and moves him to someplace more suitable.

I don't even know why I am asking this ..... pics??

Mara
Aug. 3, 2011, 01:22 PM
Just have to add here - they may have those long bods and short, thick, stumpy legs, but gators can flat out MOVE over some ground when motivated. It's not particularly elegant to watch, but you'd be surprised how fast an alligator can get from Point A to Point B on dry land.

Foxtrot's
Aug. 3, 2011, 01:31 PM
Again - from a northerner curious about geography - how prevalent are alligators in your area and where do they congregate? BC is so peaceful by comparison.
I hope Wally finds a place where he can co-exist on this planet.

candyappy
Aug. 3, 2011, 03:55 PM
I was kinda thinking gator-kabob. Surely in Arkansas you can find a redneck with a gun! Almost everything is good after it's been marinated a couple of days.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: My husband would eat it!! I would worry about my dogs and can your horses get to the pond?? My mule would be the one to stick his face into the alligators face .

jessiesgrrl
Aug. 3, 2011, 04:51 PM
Here in London, ON canada, we had a family "pet" magically appear in one of the local pond area's......it was a little 2ft Camian (sp???) that someone figured they couldn't control/take care of, so they threw it out into the "natural wild" where it belonged.
Too bad it wasn't even summer yet and cold as all get out and the poor guy was sunning himself to stay warm on the sidewalks close by!

Our wildlife experts couldn't catch him though (apparently he would disappear shortly after being seen and by the time they showed up he was no where in sight) so after 5 days of random sightings, they called it a day, and figured it would either succum to the weather or move on.

Thankfully a local hunter went to try his hand at camian tracking, found him asleep on a large rock by the pond, crept up and jumped him! No injuries to either party, and all was well!

Of course the wildlife guys had to explain it was a once in a lifetime chance and to never try it again.........blah blah

Alagirl
Aug. 3, 2011, 04:54 PM
Here in London, ON canada, we had a family "pet" magically appear in one of the local pond area's......it was a little 2ft Camian (sp???) that someone figured they couldn't control/take care of, so they threw it out into the "natural wild" where it belonged.
Too bad it wasn't even summer yet and cold as all get out and the poor guy was sunning himself to stay warm on the sidewalks close by!

Our wildlife experts couldn't catch him though (apparently he would disappear shortly after being seen and by the time they showed up he was no where in sight) so after 5 days of random sightings, they called it a day, and figured it would either succum to the weather or move on.

Thankfully a local hunter went to try his hand at camian tracking, found him asleep on a large rock by the pond, crept up and jumped him! No injuries to either party, and all was well!

Of course the wildlife guys had to explain it was a once in a lifetime chance and to never try it again.........blah blah
a 2 footer? :lol:
Caimans have the rep of being nasty though.

That little guy was lucky! I don't think he would have made it through the winter....Gatorsicle anybody? :lol:

wireweiners
Aug. 3, 2011, 05:40 PM
Again - from a northerner curious about geography - how prevalent are alligators in your area and where do they congregate? BC is so peaceful by comparison.
I hope Wally finds a place where he can co-exist on this planet.

They were almost extinct but have been re-introduced and have made a good recovery. They are mostly in the southern part of the state and the Mississippi Delta region. There are quite a few alligators in the area but they are mostly in the wilderness swamp areas. Wally probably came from an ox bow lake known as First Ol' River. Finn Bayou runs through our property and empties into the lake. Wally was most likely in the bayou and when it dried up in the drouth he came looking for water and ended up in the pond. We don't have as many gators as Florida and Louisiana and don't have as many nuisance gators. Generally they stay in the lakes and swamps but this year has been exceptionally hot and dry.

So far, it's Gator 2, People 0. The G&C guy came out this morning but was unable to snag him. The pond is so choked with duck weed, it makes it difficult to snag him. And he can move fast when he's motivated. So in the meantime, I just have to lock the dogs up when I go feed. It's kind of a PITA but nothing I can't handle. G&C may set up a snare for him. We think we have found a trail he uses to get to a shadier part of the pond in the heat of the day so we may try that. The horses can get to the pond but I'm not really worried about them. This guy is really small so while he might try to take on a dog, he's not going to mess with the horses or the donkeys.

My daughter has taken some pics but you can't really see him very well because of the weeds in the pond. He just sort of floats around with just the top of his head and his tail showing. My daughter would have a fit if we killed him. She and 2Jakes are kindred spirits when it comes to reptiles.

jetsmom
Aug. 3, 2011, 07:39 PM
I don't even know why I am asking this ..... pics??

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Genuine-Alligator-Handbag-Purse-Florida-USA-/140585007492?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC.OPJS%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUA%26o tn%3D5%26pmod%3D250863055859%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D1 814737422782271600

Foxtrot's
Aug. 3, 2011, 09:58 PM
Good for you. Live and let live. Poor old Wally probably wishes he was back home, too.

Jetsmom - you are sick, you know that, don't you - just kidding. :D :D

Texarkana
Aug. 3, 2011, 10:08 PM
I just wanted to say that as another reptile lover, I really appreciate you haven't felt the need to kill him. :)

carolprudm
Aug. 4, 2011, 09:47 AM

LOL, me too

ETA: Florida is looking less and less like a possible retirement home for us

Valentina_32926
Aug. 4, 2011, 10:08 AM
Kill it. Eat it.

Gators will go after dogs, cat and sometime horses. They are surprisingly fast and can climb chain link fences! :eek:

A 4 footer isn't giant so probably wouldn't go after the horse but I wouldn't take chances.

After you kill it do NOT tell authorities what you did - it just is no longer in your pond. :cool:

wireweiners
Aug. 4, 2011, 02:33 PM
The score is now Gator 3, People 0. G&F was out again last night. We almost caught him. The guy snagged him with the hook and they got the noose around him but he slipped out of it before they got it tightened.

For clarification purposes, the pond is around a half mile from our house. The dogs never go over there unless they go with me. Right now, they are just laying around in the shade. So I just shut them up in the house when I go feed. Wally is only about 4.5' long. There is no way he's a menace to the horses or the donkeys or me. Given the price of hay vs the price of horses, if he ate one, he'd be doing me a favor by reducing the herd. lol

The G&F guy is coming back in a couple of days. As the pond dries up, he'll just get easier to catch. If he gets in a water trough, he'll be easy to catch. I don't like to see things hurt or killed unless there is a really good reason. There isn't a really good reason to kill Wally. He's just a victim of the drouth. I have noticed more and more tracks from various wildlife coming to the pond to drink. Eventually, Wally will be caught and relocated to the Sulphur River bottoms about 30-40 miles away. I told him last night he'd be better off if he cooperated and got sent to a better home.

Go Fish
Aug. 4, 2011, 02:44 PM
This reminds me of an experience DH had playing golf in Florida. He'd hit a shot into a bunch of trees and went into retrieve his ball. I guess he came running out, screaming like a girl, being chased by an alligator. Turns out it was a mother protecting a nest. I think he had to change his drawers after that one. :lol:

Alagirl
Aug. 4, 2011, 03:29 PM
This reminds me of an experience DH had playing golf in Florida. He'd hit a shot into a bunch of trees and went into retrieve his ball. I guess he came running out, screaming like a girl, being chased by an alligator. Turns out it was a mother protecting a nest. I think he had to change his drawers after that one. :lol:

and i can't fault him for either the screaming nor the redressing....:lol:

2Jakes
Aug. 4, 2011, 04:46 PM
The score is now Gator 3, People 0. G&F was out again last night. We almost caught him. The guy snagged him with the hook and they got the noose around him but he slipped out of it before they got it tightened.

For clarification purposes, the pond is around a half mile from our house. The dogs never go over there unless they go with me. Right now, they are just laying around in the shade. So I just shut them up in the house when I go feed. Wally is only about 4.5' long. There is no way he's a menace to the horses or the donkeys or me. Given the price of hay vs the price of horses, if he ate one, he'd be doing me a favor by reducing the herd. lol

The G&F guy is coming back in a couple of days. As the pond dries up, he'll just get easier to catch. If he gets in a water trough, he'll be easy to catch. I don't like to see things hurt or killed unless there is a really good reason. There isn't a really good reason to kill Wally. He's just a victim of the drouth. I have noticed more and more tracks from various wildlife coming to the pond to drink. Eventually, Wally will be caught and relocated to the Sulphur River bottoms about 30-40 miles away. I told him last night he'd be better off if he cooperated and got sent to a better home.

I so appreciate that you and G&F are persisting in trying to help Wally.

(...and tell you DD I say "Hey" to my kindred spirit :winkgrin:.)

Hpilot
Aug. 4, 2011, 06:18 PM
Is there a chance you could put a humane cat or dog trap with raw chicken in it on the banks of the pond. Can you get them that long?

sourmilknightmares
Aug. 4, 2011, 09:44 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Genuine-Alligator-Handbag-Purse-Florida-USA-/140585007492?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC.OPJS%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUA%26o tn%3D5%26pmod%3D250863055859%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D1 814737422782271600

HA!

cajunbelle
Aug. 4, 2011, 09:59 PM
Tastes like chicken anyway

Yup!

MyssMyst
Aug. 5, 2011, 12:55 AM
and i can't fault him for either the screaming nor the redressing....:lol:

Me either!

saddleup
Aug. 5, 2011, 09:21 AM
Jetsmom, thanks for the laugh!

As to the problem at hand, the thought of dealing with an alligator in my pond gives me sweaty palms. I'd be freaking out if I were the OP.

wireweiners
Aug. 5, 2011, 12:37 PM
http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=265175053496924&set=a.246896051991491.77572.100000132933970&type=1&theater

Here's Wally.

jetsmom
Aug. 6, 2011, 01:47 AM
http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=265175053496924&set=a.246896051991491.77572.100000132933970&type=1&theater

Here's Wally.

It's hard to get a perception of size, without anything to compare it to...Can you go stand beside him, so we have an object to reference?;)

dressagetraks
Aug. 6, 2011, 09:23 AM
:lol:

Be sure to get pictures when he is finally trapped. :yes:

fivehorses
Aug. 6, 2011, 10:38 AM
ooohmy. When you said pond...in my head I am thinking I nice clear pond. After seeing the pic, I would not let any of my animals near ...omg, too much camoflauge. How lucky you were to see the gator before he got a dog or a kid.
ack.

RedMare01
Aug. 6, 2011, 01:04 PM
Again - from a northerner curious about geography - how prevalent are alligators in your area and where do they congregate?

:lol: :lol:

Congregating...I sooo found this unintentionally hilarious. I can just picture all the gators congregating together to discuss the positives and negatives of certain locations...."Well, wireweiner's place has a nice ambiance, lots of camoflage, nice scenery...the G&F people bring food regularly...on the downside though, it's really short on girls; can't find a tail anywhere around there...."

Or maybe I'm just really weird. :cool:

Foxtrot's
Aug. 6, 2011, 03:50 PM
Ha! - and church on Sundays, all waddling up to take up a whole pew.

ThirdCharm
Aug. 6, 2011, 05:07 PM
I would have a hard time classifying anything with that many teeth at lower-limb level to a horse as "not a threat". I would not be worried about it trying to EAT my horses, but a quick head-whip-snap during a surprise encounter and having a $5000+ vet bill for a lacerated tendon or joint capsule.

Jennifer

wireweiners
Aug. 8, 2011, 01:58 PM
It's hard to get a perception of size, without anything to compare it to...Can you go stand beside him, so we have an object to reference?;)

I'll try to get the kid to do it. She's the reptile lover in the family. That pic was taken by her from her phone at about 6' away.

Since I have gotten my pump problems pretty much fixed and no longer have to let the horses drink from the pond, I have shut the gate so they can't get to the pond. Not that I think there'd be any encounters with Wally anyway.

He's still in the pond. He was hanging out in the deepest part. I'm still telling him he needs to cooperate with the Game and Fish guys so he can go to the Sulphur River. Better water, more food and possibly some girl gators. Meanwhile, I'm still locking up the dogs before going to feed.

There are more and more animals coming to drink from the pond as water supplies are getting scarcer. There was a momma coon and her 3 half grown babies at the water's edge this morning. I'm concerned that we may have feral hogs coming to water before long. That would worry me a lot more than Wally. Hogs would be a much bigger threat to me, my dogs and the horses than a little bitty alligator.

Ltc4h
Aug. 9, 2011, 04:23 PM
Upfront this is going to sound Red.

The easiest way to catch these little guys is w/ Marshmallows.
Works 100% of the time-use real heavy fishing equipment-can easily catch up to 5'. Normally in under 1 hour.

You can bait them off the shore w/ chicken necks-but they can hurt themselves if caught a few houirs before found.
Not sure where you are but I'd go to the local fish camp & ask around-you may have better luck than currently having w/ F & G.

In Fl-they are always in canals-we just catch w/ MM's and send further down stream.

PS- Duct tape mouth closed if moving yourself-have help to cut off before releasing. Their jaw presuure is closing so once shut you can safely get off although doesn't sound like you want to personally be involved.

Zwarte
Aug. 9, 2011, 09:38 PM
Thank you, wireweiners, for paying no attention to the ignorant people who suggest that you kill the alligator. While wildlife has no legal rights, it is immoral to exterminate for no reason. It is correct that alligators are protected in Arkansas and the fine for killing without a permit runs from $500 to $2000 plus any equipment used in the illegal kill, including vehicles, guns, binoculars, atvs, is seized and sold at auction.

You have adequately assessed the risks - and they are pretty minimal.

(recently retired Assistant Chief of Wildlife in Arkansas)

Rhyadawn
Aug. 12, 2011, 12:38 PM
Any updates??? New pictures???

wireweiners
Aug. 12, 2011, 12:52 PM
I haven't seen him for a few days so I don't know if he's still there or has moved on. One thing I have noticed is that before he moved into the pond there were quite a few bullfrogs in it. I could hear them croaking at night when I fed. Now, I haven't heard a bull frog in a while. I'm still locking up the dogs before I go feed though.

Foxtrot's
Aug. 17, 2011, 05:20 PM
Did he do you a favour by munching on bullfrogs, the invasive kind, or were they native? We had the invasive kind but after being onto them constantly we have none left. But they don't croak - they sound a bit like a foghorn at night. All the natives have returned, salamanders, different frogs, etc.

Where's Wally now?

msj
Aug. 17, 2011, 05:50 PM
wireweiners-I do hope for your sake that Wally has moved on. I must admit I have enjoyed this thread. Am also thrilled that I'm far enough north that I shouldn't have to worry about a Wally visit. :D Bears are another story though. :(

wireweiners
Aug. 18, 2011, 10:40 AM
Wally is still in the pond. The Game & Fish people were out last weekend but no luck. The pond is choked with weeds and he is very skittish. However the pond is rapidly drying up so there are fewer places for him to hide. I don't think he will move as long as there is any water in the pond since there really isn't any place for him to go. BTW, the G&F guy is of the opinion that he is really a she, since s/he is being so contrary. As the parent of a teen, I am of the opinion that he is a teenaged gator and rather than cooperate, he's rolling his eyes, sulking and posting on a gator version of Facebook about how misunderstood he is.

Alagirl
Aug. 18, 2011, 11:14 AM
Wally is still in the pond. The Game & Fish people were out last weekend but no luck. The pond is choked with weeds and he is very skittish. However the pond is rapidly drying up so there are fewer places for him to hide. I don't think he will move as long as there is any water in the pond since there really isn't any place for him to go. BTW, the G&F guy is of the opinion that he is really a she, since s/he is being so contrary. As the parent of a teen, I am of the opinion that he is a teenaged gator and rather than cooperate, he's rolling his eyes, sulking and posting on a gator version of Facebook about how misunderstood he is.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Rivermontfarm
Aug. 18, 2011, 11:31 AM
Wow, who knew there were gators in Arkansas! He'd have to go, fast!

wireweiners
Oct. 17, 2011, 04:15 PM
A Wally update and a question for 2Jakes. Wally is still in the pond. So far he hasn't eaten any dogs or horses. I think the G&F people have given up trying to catch him. He has led them a merry chase, sitting out in the middle of the pond giving them the middle finger, er, talon. So far he hasn't eaten and dogs or horses. The one encounter he had with a horse was rather comical. I was having pump problems and was having to let the horses drink out of the pond. Pete, the fat haflinger, was wading out into the pond with his nose down to drink, Wally was just a few feet away. Pete got a good whiff of gator just as Wally realized that big thing was wading into his territory. Wally does a back flip just as Pete does a perfect rollback. I don't know who was spooked more.

Just so y'all know, I finally figured out that my well at the corrals was running low. So I had to buy a new trough and put it behind my parents house to water the donkeys and the pasture horses. So no horses drinking out of the pond for a while now.

My question for 2Jakes is what will happen to Wally as the weather gets colder. I figured he would get sluggish since he's a reptile. Will he dig himself a den? The water in the pond is quite shallow and the pool is still shrinking but there's still enough water to keep him going and plenty of turtles and frogs for him to eat. I think he got a skunk the other day! I'm hoping if he gets sluggish as the weather gets colder, G&F will be able to catch him and relocate him.

This drought has really been something. We were trying to catch Wally one night and 3 big bucks, 1 six and 2 eight pointers, came to drink. There were at least 5 people talking and shining flashlights not 30' away from them yet they were so starved for water they drank anyway. I also startled a coyote a couple of weeks ago, close to the breaker for the pump. I think he came to drink and decided to get a snack of persimmons while he was there. They are predicting rain, 80% chance, for tomorrow along with some really cool temps.

WaningMoon
Oct. 18, 2011, 08:01 AM
My grandaughters wants her mom to call Billy the Exterminator because she saw a bug in their house, I wonder what she would say about a gator, oh my. I am thankful I live way way north.

fivehorses
Oct. 18, 2011, 08:16 AM
thanks for the update wireweiners. Always interesting to hear wildlife tales from others, especially in other parts of the world.

Must have been a site to see the deer that close. I guess you would be fortunate to still have water in this drought.

Good luck with Wally, and keep us updated.
I will be curious what gators do when it gets cold.

cloudyandcallie
Oct. 18, 2011, 08:19 AM
Evan a small 4 ft gator can either snap a leg off of a day or drag the dog under water and roll him till he drowns. Happens all the time here in GA to the hounds used to hunt deer.

Small gators like small sharks have big teeth.

I used t o believe that gators shouldn't be hunted. Heck, I once convinced the federal judge I clerked for to sent the Plotts (google Plott hounds) to prison for poaching gators. But a few years of more experiences with gators, and I'm not so friendly to them now. Too many ducks at the Savannah wildlife refuge were one legged because of gators. And those were the lucky ducks. And I once boarded C&C where there were 4 small gators in a pond fortunately not in the pastures. Plus one big huge gator in another area, all inland from the coast.

OP, don't you have private "varmint" guys you can hire in your state? We have lots of them here. They have permits from the state to trap "nuisance" animals.

When wildlife meets encroachment by humans and their pets, sometimes wildlife has to go.

Of to the barn now. Where we have no gators but where that pesky florida panther was signed behind the pond a while back.

Gators get sluggist when it gets cold. And sre not active in freezing weather. Like frogs and toads and ssssssssssssnakes.

SGray
Oct. 18, 2011, 09:47 AM
I thought it was snapping turtles that did that to the ducks

RougeEmpire
Oct. 18, 2011, 11:44 AM
I thought it was snapping turtles that did that to the ducks

Large fish too. I think it's so strange that people think the alligators should go because they...eat ducks??? Or sometimes get a limb? A whole heck of a lot of other animals eat ducks too! Like the afor mentioned snapping turtle (nasty narly aggressive suckers they are!) and even LARGE fish will swallow baby ducks whole. Snakes and racoons as well. Ducks are wild animals like thing else, sometimes they lose a limb. But alas the duck-eating alligator is a ugly unhugable beast with no soft fur or wet nose.:lol:

Sport
Oct. 18, 2011, 12:49 PM

I was the same as you. When I hear Gator, my first thought is a 4 wheeler not a creature in the water.

Tazzie
Oct. 18, 2011, 01:15 PM
Sorry about your gator problem, but this is what I want pics of!:

Of to the barn now. Where we have no gators but where that pesky florida panther was signed behind the pond a while back.

cloudyandcallie
Oct. 18, 2011, 02:14 PM
Oops sorry. should have said sighted. Neighbors to barn did not get a picture of him but saw him with binoculars when dogs and deer were running around by the woods. They had thought it was just dogs chasing deer till they saw something bigger than a bob cat and with a tail........at previous barn down the road, teenage boy who worked there showed me a pic of a panther taken by a game camera a few miles away. People always explain panthers away by saying that it must be a house cat. You cannot explain that scream at night though. My friends in Montogmery County hear it often.

We have them. Outside of Jacksonville FL years ago, Ted Turner had a big game hunting ranch. He allowed the state of FL to breed Fl Panthers with cougars from out west there to release to repopulate the species which was dying out in FL.

We have so many white tailed deer now that the coyotes and big cats don't bother horses and dogs. However, gators will eat anything and anyone in the water.

wireweiners
Oct. 18, 2011, 05:17 PM
I hear what you are saying Callie, and if Wally was bigger or more aggressive, he'd have been gone a long time ago, even if I had to go the SSS route. But he's small and just hangs out in the pond not bothering anybody. He did hiss at me the other day but I think I was practically standing on his tail. I do lock up the water loving dogs when I go feed, the other two don't like the water especially since the weather is cooler and the pond is so low that the water in it is rather funky. I was just kind of concerned what's going to happen to him as it gets cooler since it doesn't look like we are going to get enough rain to fill the pond and bayous up any time soon. I did a google search and found that they can't take continued cold without becoming sick. Does Weatherbeeta make a turnout for gators? :lol: Hopefully he'll just slow down and I can get the G&F people out to catch him.

I was in the Soil Conservation office last week and saw a picture of a HUGE gator that was killed not far from where I live. I joked that it was probably Wally's daddy.

I think your panther is cool. There have been rumors of panthers down here but I think they are just that, rumors. I believe the last panther in Arkansas was killed by a hunter in 1971. We do have bears but not where I live.

cloudyandcallie
Oct. 18, 2011, 05:21 PM
You could do what a lot of people (mostly guys) do here: Put Wally in your bathtub for the winter. Just make sure you take him out when you want to bathe. Works better if you have a spare bathroom and a nearby fish market.

They will die if they cannot get deep into water and mud in winter. So you have to have a deep pool that won't freeze over. They can live in brackish water also.

I'm thinking a heated pool for Wally along with a nice surfer suit. Dang, what's the brand that we used to use in the cold California surf?

Meanwhile, 2Jakes sent me a picture of the cutest halloween costumes f or dogs and one of them was of a gator eating the dog.

cloudyandcallie
Oct. 18, 2011, 05:29 PM
www.surfride.com (http://www.surfride.com)
The O'Neil suits are always the best.

Take pix of you putting it on Wally.

lizathenag
Oct. 19, 2011, 02:55 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/19/elephant-crocodile-fight-botswana_n_1019401.html