View Full Version : Hot weather ware followup

Aug. 1, 2011, 11:27 AM
Just a thanks for the people who made suggestions on the hot weather ware thread from about a month ago...

I've *had* to move to long-sleeved tops or riding at night because of a medical issue, and was really at a loss. Various people here suggested technical fabrics as an option. I found that the womens' shirts were too long (I am very short) but on a whim tried on a girls XL "Sahara" shirt at REI and it fits as long as I leave the bottom snap unsnapped (unlike most girls, I have, um, womanly hips!)

Rode in it for the first time this weekend, in low to mid-80s temps and moderate humidity (~60%), and was actually the most comfortable I've ever been riding in hot weather! The shirt has SPF 40 woven into the fabric and it is definitely "cooling."

So thanks (and a recommendation to the other shorties out there to try this shirt... Just for reference, I wear a 10P in street clothes.)

Aug. 1, 2011, 12:52 PM
The right clothes make all the difference! A few days ago, a friend suggested I try riding tights when I was looking for cooler breeches. I had passed them by because they were all knee patch (and I usually just go straight to the full seat section) and also because they always seemed a bit revealing for my taste! But my friend swore to me that in this heat/humidity there was nothing better, so I tried a pair on and sure enough they were comfortable. Then I went and rode in them and oh WOW what a difference! I could actually move, and my pants weren't sticking to my legs! I went back and bought 2 more pairs, and that's all I will wear until this weather breaks! Another very thankful rider here :)