PDA

View Full Version : Sprenger loose ring: 10mm or 20mm, difference?

kbennett322
Aug. 1, 2011, 10:08 AM
All, I am shopping for a new bit and was advised to pick up a Sprenger. I am looking at the loose ring snaffle.

Has anyone noticed a significant difference in the 18 mm vs. the 20mm? I am thinking the difference is so small that my horse won't even notice... but before I spend $100 on a bit I figured i would do my research.

Thanks!

eventerchick517
Aug. 1, 2011, 11:29 AM
Personally I prefer the eggbutt KK as it is more stable in the horses mouth, but then again all of my horses have been very active in their mouth and didn't need to be encouraged to chew. :lol:

But as a general rule of thumb I prefer to go with the thinner bit as there really isn't much room in the horses mouth. But I don't think it would be a huge difference in the 18mm or 20mm. Unless you really are looking at a 10mm? In that case I would try to find one a little thicker, perhaps 12mm or 14mm. But if your horse is on the stronger side and tends to be heavy in your hand I would go with the thinner one.

But I do enjoy the Sprenger bits. Well worth the cost in my opinion. :D

alibi_18
Aug. 1, 2011, 11:48 AM
I think the 10mm is a typo.

There is not much of a difference between a 18 and a 20mm but I would go with the 18mm. I would suggest you go check at the tack shop and feel by yourself. (Doesn't need to be KK to check the difference!)

What is the size of your horse's bit right now? I would buy the same if it goes well.

TemJeito
Aug. 1, 2011, 12:42 PM
Must be a typo b/c they don't come in 10 mm. Mine are either 16mm or 18mm. I wouldn't get a 20 mm. But the thing about the Sprengers (at least the KK Utras) is that the different thicknesses come in different widths, e.g., the 16 mm comes in 5 1/4 & 5 3/4 and the 18 mm comes in 5 1/8 & 5 1/2. My priority was getting the right width for each horse.

alibi_18
Aug. 1, 2011, 12:57 PM
Must be a typo b/c they don't come in 10 mm. Mine are either 16mm or 18mm. I wouldn't get a 20 mm. But the thing about the Sprengers (at least the KK Utras) is that the different thicknesses come in different widths, e.g., the 16 mm comes in 5 1/4 & 5 3/4 and the 18 mm comes in 5 1/8 & 5 1/2. My priority was getting the right width for each horse.

Most brands have bits that comes in various sizes of widths and thicknesses. The priority should be to find a bit that fits the horse mouth both in width and thickness and that makes the horse happy with.

Here is a link to HS bits : http://www.sprenger.de/send_file.php/material/1-HS-Trensen-09-11-54_72dpi_web.pdf

kbennett322
Aug. 1, 2011, 01:01 PM
I defintely meant 18 mm...sorry for the Typo!!

eventerchick517
Aug. 1, 2011, 03:32 PM
Haha I was thinking you meant 18mm because as far as I'm aware the smallest they make them is 12mm. :)

dwblover
Aug. 1, 2011, 10:28 PM
There really is not much difference between the two. My TB goes in a 20mm oval link bit right now and loves the thing! :) But he has a large muzzle and quite a bit of room in his mouth. If your horse has a smaller mouth then I'd look for an 18 or even 16 mm bit. (Not trying to discourage you as I do truly LOVE Herm Sprenger bits, BUT I am also in love with my JP copper oval mouth bit which cost me about $30! My horse cannot tell the difference between HS and the JP!!;))

mbm
Aug. 2, 2011, 12:30 AM
20mm is pretty thick and i would not use such a thick bit. i prefer thinner 14 or 16mm because horses mouths dont have much room - think about how your mouth feels - your tongue is right up against the roof of your mouth - now think about a fat bit sitting in there... not too comfy lol!