PDA

View Full Version : Racing Styles

ivy62
Jul. 31, 2011, 10:56 PM
This is for the trainers out there. How do you figure out what style the horse runs best with? Come from behind, a stalker or a wire to wire? It is so interesting to me that the way a horse runs and is successful is so individual...

Freebird!
Jul. 31, 2011, 11:21 PM
Well, I'm not a trainer, but I used to gallop and break TB's for a living, so I know what we did back then. Most of it just depends on what the horse likes. Some horses are just speedsters. and want to go out in front right away, and never relax until they do. Others do better if you can slip them in behind a few other horses, where they can settle, and get a good rhythm, while others just tend to break slow, and like to be in the back. Then there are other factors, like how does the horse break, does he mind getting dirt in his face, does he have to have a clear trip, etc. It's when a horse starts having "The best view of the field" every time, wire to wire that you will see him on CANTER, lol.

The best riders learn to really read their horse, and place them where they are happiest.

keepthelegend
Aug. 1, 2011, 12:01 PM
A lot depends as well on the natural speed of the horse. You don't want to be 100% out from the start so if going out on the front end is going to cook the horse, you try to teach it to rate and wait for the front runners to back up.

Acertainsmile
Aug. 1, 2011, 12:48 PM
Every horse needs to learn to rate, have dirt kicked in his face and break well. Even front runners will ocasionally find themselves breaking a bit slow and will need to "deal".

Morning works will help a trainer pick spots for his horses. Horses that like to go a route of ground will have to start in shorter distances, usually a horse that will kick into gear late and get beat will do better at a longer distance.

Breeding will also point a trainer to try a horse on the grass.