PDA

View Full Version : What does it take to get a tb trainer's license?

sonomacounty
Jul. 31, 2011, 07:11 PM
What does it take to get a tb trainer's license?

I'm a licensed sb trainer, (but non-practicing). I'm just wondering what is involved in getting a tb trainers license?

Tx.
Sonoma

mintano
Jul. 31, 2011, 07:55 PM
Talk to the stewards, barn test, then a written test.

tuppysmom
Jul. 31, 2011, 11:31 PM
may have a written test for you to take, then there is often a practical barn test, finger printing and all that jazz.

Laurierace
Aug. 1, 2011, 12:13 AM
I took two written tests and one barn test and but most importantly I had to work under a licensed trainer for two years and get three letters of recommendation before applying to test.

Dahoss
Aug. 1, 2011, 01:20 PM
Taking the test today is like night and day compared to when I first got mine in 1991 and before that, my asst trainers license in 88. Also had a vet tech license in 86/87.

Today you can fail and still get your license at some tracks. Hell, I know one guy last year who never even took a test. Just walked in, filled out the trainers application and walked out with his brand new trainers license. The guy had been in the business less then a year, was a transport driver and clueless. And he is still clueless.

Xctrygirl
Aug. 1, 2011, 01:30 PM
I did the same as Laurie (B/c it was the same state) and interestingly I was only applying to be an assistant. But Maryland decided (In one of it's better ideas imho) to test the bejezus out of the Assistants as well, so that if/when I want to upgrade to be a full trainer, all I have to do is show them a current workmans comp policy and a horse's papers that I have in training. And voila...trainer.

Meanwhile when I became a licensed NSA (Steeplechase) trainer I had to show the my flat track licenses (5 diff states Asst and Ex Rider) and get letters of reccomendation. And what they do now (I am roughly remembering this) is to watch your entries and how your horses look in the paddock, whether they are prepared well, and whether they run well. So beginner trainers are kind of on probation to show that they're producing safe runners.

( I only trained Lad for Point to points and Flat races. Whenever he ran over jumps I sent him to FAR more experienced 'chase trainers. I didn't think I could prep him well enough myself while stuck working at the flat tracks!! You can only jump so many straw bales in the shedrows!!)

~Emily

sonomacounty
Aug. 1, 2011, 06:24 PM
Thanks all !

Sonoma