PDA

View Full Version : Finality

3phase
Jul. 31, 2011, 04:03 PM
Anyone have any experience with Finality babies?
Noticed my 4 yo popped a small splint the other day and he's not in any heavy work. Then I was at a client's farm and she has 2 Finality babies (coming 2 yo), both have popped splints.

Not a big issue, and he hasn't been lame on it but wondering your experiences? This horse is a potential Eventer.

gumtree
Aug. 1, 2011, 10:59 AM
If the your ground is anything like it is around here for the last 2 months, hard as pavement, and they are turned out 24/7 it is not unusual for a horse to get a splint. If you catch it early, limit turnout and treat, it is possible to keep it from getting too unsightly.

3phase
Aug. 1, 2011, 10:18 PM
Nope, he's on soft footing and is only turned out half the day on soft dirt paddock.
The other 2 colts are in their dirt paddocks at night and on grass turnout during the day (ground not too compacted.)
I've had horses pop splints before but due to strenuous work.
Weak legs?? My guy did have an injury to his tendon coming off his last race but that could just be from his racing.
All I've heard about Finality is that some babies are great racers some aren't (not unusual in the equine industry.)