PDA

View Full Version : Coated wire electric fence...best price/brands?

lovemytbs
Jul. 31, 2011, 01:09 PM
Thanks! Looking to fence several acres with this, any tips appreciated!

Or if there is a better option for something white and electric that's not too pricey....fill me in! Will need to have bottom strands closer together as it will be multi- species for sheep, horses, and whatever else we get over the years!

gumtree
Aug. 1, 2011, 12:02 PM
There are a lot of different options. Is this going to be a permanent fence or tempo. There are plenty of good web sites that explain the process. Studies have shown that horses do not see white fence tape very well until up close. Brown seems to be the best color for horses to see from a distance. You see a lot of white tape being used because it looks good to the property owner.

lovemytbs
Aug. 1, 2011, 12:22 PM
Permanent fence. Hmm, I just figured white would be easily seen. Color doesn't matter to me, considering coated wire, electrobraid, or something similar. Don't want tape.

Blackberry Farm
Aug. 2, 2011, 11:47 PM
I love my electrobraid! It's substantial (holds up to wind and rain without drooping), doesn't sag over time, can be moved or changed easily to block off or add areas to pasture. Just seemed like the safest choice to me. I've had the current configuration set up for about 8 years and no problems. I periodically lop off branches around the perimeter of the pasture, just to keep it from grounding out. Good luck to you!

gumtree
Aug. 3, 2011, 06:49 PM
Permanent fence. Hmm, I just figured white would be easily seen. Color doesn't matter to me, considering coated wire, electrobraid, or something similar. Don't want tape.

To a human it is but not to the horse. Go with what you want its your money. Color may not matter to you but it does to your horse. Braided tape holds up just as well if installed properly. Wire is fine for cows not horses. IMO