PDA

View Full Version : Saddle that fits like a Bates/Wintec, but isn't?

Hampton Bay
Jul. 31, 2011, 12:38 PM
OK, the little horses have decided they like my Bates Event, which of course I can't even stand to look at. It rocks very very slightly, but the newer ones would fit them perfectly, in a W. Not only do I have major hatred for the company, but I also can't ride in their dressage saddles to save my life. They tip me forward.

So what fits like one from the horse's side of things, but has a shallow to medium seat with a moderate pommel?

I do have one saddle coming to try that would be a loaner, but want some other ideas in case this one doesn't work out.

wildlifer
Jul. 31, 2011, 01:51 PM
Collegiates fit very similarly, I believe they are even made by the same company now.

Hampton Bay
Jul. 31, 2011, 01:58 PM
Collegiates fit very similarly, I believe they are even made by the same company now.

I refuse to buy anything distributes by Weatherbeeta, which includes Collegiate. They don't care about their customers, and don't stand behind their products.

Petstorejunkie
Jul. 31, 2011, 03:01 PM
Albion or older lauriche

Hampton Bay
Jul. 31, 2011, 04:34 PM
Albion or older lauriche

Which albion models would be good to look at for someone wanting as flat a seat as can be found on a dressage saddle and who has a very long leg, so can't do much in the way of blocks? There are soooooooooo many, and some look like they would work for the baby horses, but many of them are deep seats with big blocks. I can't keep track of all the models.

I did ride in one once that was comfy, but all I know is that it was buffalo leather or printed leather. This was 6 years ago.

DancingSeahorse
Jul. 31, 2011, 08:30 PM
My Thorrowgood T6 has a fairly flat seat and velcro/removable thigh blocks.
Fits my wide boys (Quarterhorses) great. Comes in a synthetic or leather.
Pretty reasonably priced too.

Petstorejunkie
Jul. 31, 2011, 09:17 PM
Which albion models would be good to look at

I wish I had more information for you. You'll want ones with big plat squishy panels and a wide channel. My saddle fitter came and evaluated my project horse who sounds like he has a similar back, and these are what she recommended I look into. She also mentioned thorogood

Hampton Bay
Jul. 31, 2011, 10:17 PM
My Thorrowgood T6 has a fairly flat seat and velcro/removable thigh blocks.
Fits my wide boys (Quarterhorses) great. Comes in a synthetic or leather.
Pretty reasonably priced too.

I was looking at these and the Fairfax, but I was worried the standard might tip me forward a bit. Which one do you have? What would you compare it to? The one person I know of compared it to Passier as far as how it rides, but Passiers tip me forward. The newer ones do anyway (GG, antares, etc).

I've been trying to find someone on this side of the pond that has the cheaper Kent & Masters on the same tree, but with velcro blocks, but I've yet to find them here.

KrazyTBMare
Aug. 1, 2011, 12:40 AM
My girlfriend has an original Albion Comfort that might work but it IS an Albion and while the seat may be pretty flat where your butt actually goes, the cantle comes UP in the back (which for someone like me with junk in the trunk, it doesnt work!). It is in fab condition if you want me to message you on FB with the pics and all. If you want, Im sure she would be totally fine with me sending it to you to try if you can pay the shipping esp as I know you IRL. Lemme know.

arabiansrock
Aug. 1, 2011, 10:26 AM
HB - Hastilow competition usa carries the Kent and Masters. I was hte one who said it sits you like a passier - I was referring to the OLD flat passiers circa 1980. I have zero tendency to tip forward in mine, but... we are all built different.

If you send Annette at Hasitilow photos and wither tracings, and let her know what kind of "feel" you want in the seat, she can help suggest models. She is very good, however, word of advice - call her - don't rely on email, she is extremely brief in her emails, but will answer questions all night on the phone!

MysticOakRanch
Aug. 1, 2011, 03:16 PM
Which albion models would be good to look at for someone wanting as flat a seat as can be found on a dressage saddle and who has a very long leg, so can't do much in the way of blocks? There are soooooooooo many, and some look like they would work for the baby horses, but many of them are deep seats with big blocks. I can't keep track of all the models.

I did ride in one once that was comfy, but all I know is that it was buffalo leather or printed leather. This was 6 years ago.

Take a look at the older Albion SL (NOT the SLK) - they are closer contact, more open in the seat, very small blocks. They tend to fit a lot of horses well.
ETA - I just hopped on eBay, and here is a "Style" which is similar to the SL!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Albion-Style-17-5-MW-Dressage-/250865876328?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a68c57d68