PDA

View Full Version : Courtney King Dye speaks about her accident and helmets

enjoytheride
Jul. 30, 2011, 01:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awJDYBhBPzk&feature=youtu.be

This is a very strong video that moved me to tears, I am very glad that Courtney made this video.

JWB
Jul. 30, 2011, 01:38 PM
Kudos to Courtney - but it's a shame that she had to suffer a traumatic brain injury to realize how important helmets are EVERY time.

Zephyr
Jul. 30, 2011, 06:05 PM
I'm glad she made the point that she usually always wore her helmet, but just this one time she was "in a hurry," and "the horse was NEVER naughty, just tripped cantering down the long side." So many people who ride dressage, western, that one ol' reliable trail horse... think it can never happen to them. I really hope the message from her video gets across.

JER
Jul. 31, 2011, 02:22 AM
That was really hard to get through but also well worth it.

She's a powerful advocate for her cause, and I wish her a full recovery.

IFG
Jul. 31, 2011, 09:19 AM
I thought that it was incredibly selfless and brave of her to do that. Hope that it convinces more people to use their helmets every ride.

Ajierene
Jul. 31, 2011, 09:55 AM
When she talked about everyone being a roll model, it struck me. I am glad she discussed that. I used to not wear helmets all the time and what made me start was not an accident, but the fact that I was the eldest rider at the small barn I was at.

It was a bit of hubris, but I thought to myself that while I know I can stay on without a helmet, these kids will likely do something riskier than what I do without a helmet and hurt themselves. So, I decided to start wearing a helmet every time to lead by example.

Now it feels really weird if I start getting on without a helmet and it has saved my bacon over this winter!

fooler
Jul. 31, 2011, 10:44 AM
Very moving and thought provoking.

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Jul. 31, 2011, 10:45 AM
"Every [rider] is a role model for someone."
Well said.

gully's pilot
Jul. 31, 2011, 01:20 PM
This should be required watching for every rider. I'm glad Courtney had the courage to post it.

Dakotawyatt
Jul. 31, 2011, 01:25 PM
What a brave woman. I've read her blog, and it sounds like she's made such incredible progress. Actually hearing her speak really hits home; she's still got such a long way to go ... hope it makes people think before they hop on bare headed. I'm an "every ride, every time" kind of girl.

wildlifer
Jul. 31, 2011, 02:50 PM
I just watched this video this morning -- wow, it was far more powerful than I expected. Do click through and watch. I always wear my helmet, no matter how hot or inconvenient, but I still had a lump in my throat at the end of the video -- one mistake is all she got and she will pay for the rest of her life.

Lisa Preston
Jul. 31, 2011, 03:24 PM
Thank you, Courtney. Just, Thank You Thank You Thank You.
I'm still embarrassed about all the times I rode sans helmet.

deltawave
Jul. 31, 2011, 04:45 PM
My trainer was out in the blazing heat giving a lesson last weekend when I stopped by. A horse was needing a little correction so she decided to get on. Even for a five minute ride she walked back into the barn, got her helmet, and put it on. Made me smile. :)

Yes we are ALL role models, or maybe a better term is examples. Whenever someone is watching us, we're setting one.

ACMEeventing
Jul. 31, 2011, 08:23 PM
"Everyone is a role model for someone."

Well said.

I have to admit that until Jan of this year I was an intermittent helmet user. Always wore one to jump, but was iffy at best on the flat. Then I got pile-driven to the ground from my spooked horse while reading a test for my daughter. 0 - 60 in exactly .9 seconds. Fractured my maxillary sinus (let me tell you, THAT is not a pleasant sensation).

I thought, how many more 'lucky breaks' is it gonna take to make me wear a helmet every ride. A helmet would not have spared my cheek bone, but that isn't the point.

I'm now a proud member of "every ride, every time". If not for me, then for my family. Now I can't even think about getting on without one.

Livetoride1286
Aug. 1, 2011, 12:10 AM
SO SO SO SO SO SO Glad to see that! I can remember having the idea instilled in me from the moment I started riding as a kid until now to always wear a helmet, no matter what kind of riding you're doing or what sort of horse you'll be on...and can remember getting teased (innocently) by my friends growing up when we would all ride bareback on our dead quiet horses and they would be sans helmets and I would be the "nerd" who kept her mushroom-sized Troxel on...I've had a few close calls, knew a trainer who lost her sense of smell and taste thanks to a head injury (no helmet), and knew of a student who unfortunately passed away from a simple riding accident when I was in college (no helmet). I'm really glad to hear Courtney talk about the role model factor in all of it...it's so important! I definitely have enjoyed watching the number of "pro" riders who wear helmets during their dressage phase at the upper levels increase over the years.

All it takes is one instant for your life to change. Thank you so much Courtney and Riders4Helmets!!

kerlin
Aug. 1, 2011, 04:17 PM
What an incredibly brave and moving video. Thank you, Courtney, for sharing your journey with us.

hightide
Aug. 1, 2011, 04:36 PM
I think she is so inspirational, and I wish her nothing but the best! She is making a great recovery so far (and this is coming from the daughter of a 2 time stroke survivor, living with the affects, so I know what progress is!) and I hope she keeps making such great leaps!
Her words really hit home hard, and I agree, it was hard to watch. I also was thinking about what wildlifer said. Good for her for making this into an opportunity to advocate a good cause.
Thank you, and good luck Courtney! :)

HRF Second Chance
Aug. 1, 2011, 05:00 PM
I had quite the tiff with someone via facebook about her choice to not wear appropriate attire and a helmet. I sent this video to her. she owns and runs a barn and allows her kids to indulge in the same dangerous behavior. She says "Her barn, her rules." Your rules should be everyone wears a helmet not matter what.

I do find it somewhat ironic that L'Apogee has an ad for dressage saddles on this very website with a helmtless rider schooling her horse. Obvoiusly not COTH's fault but something that vendors should also take into consideration.

Lori B
Aug. 1, 2011, 05:11 PM
merchandisers should be easy pickings. Write 'em and tell 'em you aren't impressed, both directly to the COTH site and to the company. Tell 'em you are posting here about it. Write it on their facebook page.

I found the video very powerful and courageous. I hope that in a few years, it will be incomprehensible for people to ride w/o a helmet.

Bogie
Aug. 1, 2011, 05:16 PM
That was a powerful and sobering video. I always ride with a helmet and yet it reinforced the fact that riding IS dangerous and that you should take the opportunity to use all the tools out there for you to make it safer.

pony grandma
Aug. 1, 2011, 06:04 PM
ohhh 15 so yrs ago I used to take my young daughters, go with my lady friends, and do long all day trail rides in the wilderness area/National Forest parks in our area. We got dubbed the 'helmet ladies' by the backwoods riders. One day we had just gotten back into the camp area right off the trail head and my young horse that I was starting at the time startled and dropped a shoulder and whirled. I gave a helmet demo on the spot right there on the pavement. It knocked the wind out of me, I couldn't move for awhile -- the loud crack that the helmet made on the pavement made everyone think that I was dead on landing when I didn't move. I know that helmet saved my life that day.

ps that happened at the end of the ride, after 6+hrs in the saddle and the horse was tired and we were almost at the trailer, and we were walking! The reason I took the dump on the whirl, I felt it happen, dug down deep into my stirrup, riding in a Western saddle, and the stirrup broke off the fender. Yes I rode Western and wore a helmet ;)

Duckz
Aug. 1, 2011, 06:06 PM
Someone over on Off Course is making noise about allowing children as young as 6 or 7 the "choice" to wear a helmet. Between this video and that attitude, I'm feeling queasy.

enjoytheride
Aug. 1, 2011, 06:08 PM
Did you also read the "when we were young we played with fire and didn't get burned so kids today are coddled" thread?

Duckz
Aug. 1, 2011, 06:22 PM
Did you also read the "when we were young we played with fire and didn't get burned so kids today are coddled" thread?

I just glanced through the first page. The comment I mentioned came from the Fairy on a Unicorn thread.

Anytime someone starts with, "back in my day, we rode our barefoot horses uphill both ways in five feet of snow with no helmets and we're FINE" I have to roll my eyes. There's no logic involved. Then they apply the no-logic to their small children. Sigh.

enjoytheride
Aug. 1, 2011, 07:25 PM
Personally, my favorite was "well the worst injury riding is breaking ur neck and helmets dont protect ur neck so I don't wear a helmet."

jaynestown_vera
Aug. 1, 2011, 07:32 PM
Every ride, every time.

I hope CKD's story makes people think.

Carol Ames
Aug. 1, 2011, 07:34 PM
as a survivor of a massive TBI all I can say is "obvious signs of a brain injury which almost killed her but, as the saying goes "deNile is a great river":lol: She should, if only for the sake of all whose lives were/ would be changed/ effected by further injury

jackalini
Aug. 1, 2011, 08:32 PM
Touching video. I have some great friends who converted me to the "every time, every ride" mantra well over 5 years ago - and I'll never go back. My family is too important to me, as is my horse. Who else is going to buy her special shoes, supplements, saddles and such if I'm incapacitated? She'd not adjust well to a normal life, devoid of coddling.

Seriously though, thank you CKD.

AKB
Aug. 1, 2011, 10:42 PM
What a powerful video. It took a lot of courage for Courtney to make that video. She is an impressive person.

Carol Ames
Aug. 1, 2011, 10:55 PM
remind them that , should one oft the no helmet wearing riders have a fall and end up brain damaged:no: or otherwise disabled:sadsmile:; that that particular stable;) will carry with it the stigm:no:a of a brain injured rider for years! .

I had quite the tiff with someone via facebook about her choice to not wear appropriate attire and a helmet. I sent this video to her. she owns and runs a barn and allows her kids to indulge in the same dangerous behavior. She says "Her barn, her rules." Your rules should be everyone wears a helmet not matter what.

I do find it somewhat ironic that L'Apogee has an ad for dressage saddles on this very website with a helmtless rider schooling her horse. Obvoiusly not COTH's fault but something that vendors should also take into consideration.

Carol Ames
Aug. 2, 2011, 10:50 AM
Has it ever been considered to make wearing a football/ hockey helmet optional/:confused:? Then why should it be for riders? Are we/ you less valuable than they are:o?

Carol Ames
Aug. 2, 2011, 12:39 PM
I freely admit to finding this VERY DIFFICULT TO WATCH:sadsmile:; after reading this thread, I understand its' value in puting a face to "rider brain injury:o:(" I know Denny has spoken , in the past;), of a family memberwho , is a tbi survivor, and spoken in:cool: favor of the helmet with chin strap attached, while this rule was under discussion at a USCTA annual meeting; and this followed Caroline Treveranisus' high profile:eek: fall athe WM/ opening of the KHP; there was , has been opposition to a helmet requirement with chin strap at all levels, eventing to ponies:no: to jumpers; makes me think we horse people have a strong stubborn streak:o:winkgrin:! perhaps "we have needed a good "whack in the head:eek:" to come to our senses.:lol:

Carol Ames
Aug. 2, 2011, 12:53 PM
She was very fortunate to have VERY GOOD INSURANCE, somehow; getting good therapy and rehab; my insurance paid out over $20K, the first six months after which, they "pulled the plug so to speak; yes America, we DO NOW have "rationed care", aka managed care now; The insurance company or someone sitting in a cubicle there determined that there was no reasonable expectation of improvement:o; and so discontinued :mad:all therapy; that was the only private insurance I could afford; there was no $ to pay for therapy; I still maintain they gave up too easily:(:cry:

Carol Ames
Aug. 2, 2011, 12:59 PM
Consider also, her good fortune to be able to keep her horses, and have someone care for them and whatever other animals she may have had at the time of her accident;

Cameraine
Aug. 2, 2011, 01:21 PM
Three things.

A) I think that if you didn't require your kids to wear helmets you should have your parent card revoked.

B) It disturbs me that so many of the high level riders that we watch, cheer for, idolize don't wear helmet especially after Courtney's accident but it shouldn't have taken something that terrible to raise awareness.

C) There are worse things than breaking your neck and dying while riding. Like breaking your neck and not dying. Having broken my leg this spring and having to depend on other people to do the simplest things made me very aware of what a TBI would mean not just for me but everyone around me.

HELMETS PEOPLE! WEAR EM!

Carol Ames
Aug. 2, 2011, 01:33 PM
Could a case be made for not requiring a helmet to be worn by children, of reckless endangerment?:confused:

RiverBendPol
Aug. 2, 2011, 04:30 PM
In 1989, my best friend gave me her 3 year old home bred TB gelding. As she handed me his lead rope, she fixed a steely look and said, "If I EVER hear of you getting on this horse without a helmet on your head, I will come take him straight home." Up until then, I was one of the fools who rode around in a baseball hat. On jumping days I donned a hard hat. Good grief. Now I am a total Helmet Nazi.

Thank you, Courtney. I'm sorry your one small mistake cost you so much but am thrilled with your progress and your effect on the rest of the equestrian community. Keep it up!

Carol Ames
Aug. 2, 2011, 09:05 PM
While a price can’t be put on the cost of the emotional and physical issues that arise as a result of a brain injury (http://www.brainandspinalcord.org/brain-injury/index.html), a price can be put on the financial burden that results from a brain injury. The monetary cost of brain injuries varies significantly — it’s estimated that a mild head injury (http://www.brainandspinalcord.org/traumatic-brain-injury-types/mild-traumatic-brain-injury/index.html) costs $85,000, a moderate injury costs $941,000, and a severe $600,000 and $1,875,000 over a lifetime

http://www.brainandspinalcord.org/recovery-traumatic-brain-injury/cost-traumatic-brain-injury/index.html

Carol Ames
Aug. 2, 2011, 09:22 PM
iT IS TIME FOR US TO THINK BEYOND OURSELVES1:yes:

Three things.

A) I think that if you didn't require your kids to wear helmets you should have your parent card revoked.

B) It disturbs me that so many of the high level riders that we watch, cheer for, idolize don't wear helmet especially after Courtney's accident but it shouldn't have taken something that terrible to raise awareness.

C) There are worse things than breaking your neck and dying while riding. Like breaking your neck and not dying. Having broken my leg this spring and having to depend on other people to do the simplest things made me very aware of what a TBI would mean not just for me but everyone around me.

HELMETS PEOPLE! WEAR EM!

Carol Ames
Aug. 3, 2011, 12:08 AM
god article from the Virginia brain injury:yes: assoc.http://www.biausa.org/living-with-brain-injury.htm