PDA

View Full Version : Farm Sign

ayrabz
Jul. 30, 2011, 10:26 AM
For any of you that have 'made your own'--- (not going to be able to afford the beautiful stone work or sand blasted professional ones!)
I'm curious what you have used that has lasted nicely? With my design/graphics background I'm not going to have any problem with that part, but am wondering what weathers best/and any photo examples?

TIA!

Nes
Jul. 30, 2011, 11:18 AM
Wood & paint.

Cheap, looks best if you re-do once a year :)

Bluey
Jul. 30, 2011, 11:22 AM
We bought metal 8" or 10" letters, welded them to a piece of angle iron and bolted it to the top of a red gate by the entrance.

Spray painted them black and, not fancy, but they look nice.
They have been there many years now.:)

morgansnmind
Jul. 30, 2011, 11:24 AM
This site was recommened on the Morgan forum that I'm on. The metal signs are the cheaper ones and you can put your picture on it.

http://www.thesignchef.com/

Bluey
Jul. 30, 2011, 11:34 AM
If you are using metal, check if your high school shop class needs a project.
If they do, prepare a design and, for the cost of the metal, they will cut it with their programmable plasma cutter, in any design you want.

A friend did that and gave me a very neat cut out for the top of the yard gate the shop kids made for him::cool:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a298/Robintoo/Horses2-20-071796.jpg?t=1312040187

King's Ransom
Jul. 30, 2011, 12:58 PM
Bluey-- that is a GORGEOUS photo!

I don't know your budget, but I found someone to do a beautiful cedar sign for me for less than $200. I have not taken a photo yet, but I will. I gave them my favorite photo of King, and they routed it into the cedar with our farm name "King's Ransom." The sign is about 10-ft long and 2-ft. tall and rests on cedar brackets.

I was afraid their rendition of the photo would look cheesy, but it turned out so beautiful, I nearly cried when I saw it.

They do smaller signs for less, but I thought the price was very fair.

ayrabz
Jul. 30, 2011, 02:08 PM
Thanks all !
Bluey, I agree WHAT a gorgeous shot!
KR; please do share a photo of your sign! (and? their web site if they have one?)

Anon40something
Jul. 30, 2011, 06:49 PM
We had a simple (6" x 34" so we could hang it on the top rail of our wood fence) sign done with our farm name for less than $60. The sign base is a sheet of aluminum. Check a sign store, there are inexpensive options.

tle
Aug. 1, 2011, 09:25 AM
http://windraven.smugmug.com/Family/2010/Sept-Oct-2010/sign2/1068586835_hfTQA-O.jpg

I've since painted the posts it's hanging on. The logo was designed by a graphic artist friend of ours and I handpainted the sign itself. After painting I covered it in a couple coats of polyeurythane (sp?) to help protect it.

deltawave
Aug. 4, 2011, 02:57 PM
Sign Chef did my big, beautiful stick-on banners for my horse trailer. I did a nice, basic sign for our farm with the farm name, a horse logo and "established 2006" for about $125 with www.ezsignsonline.com