PDA

View Full Version : I was hit (indirectly) by lightening last night!!!

Arcadien
Jul. 30, 2011, 10:20 AM
:eek:

I was out in my barn during a horrible storm as my TB had shown colickly symptoms earlier - I'd picked up some banamine from my vet but by the time I got back he seemed to be okay -

But I was worried so I was leaning on the aluminum gate to his run in stall, watching him carefully, oblivious to the bolts of lightening landing all over top of us - then WHAM!!!!

I found myself blown off the gate and sitting on my butt, wondering if I was still alive. I felt the powerful shock all through my body but didn't seem to be hurt.

I just sat there, for about 15 minutes, thinking, okay, did that just happen? Am I really okay?

This morning, I am fine except I have aching and tingling in my fingers where they were touching the gate. I guess the bolt hit either the barn or a nearby tree, and it travelled right through that gate to me. (Yeah, I should know better than to be holding something metal during such a storm!)

Also today I feel rather giddy & lucky - I guess it was some sort of electric shock therapy for my mood :lol: Don't ever play but think I shall go buy a lottery ticket :cool:

Did that ever happen to anyone else?

nickers@dawn
Jul. 30, 2011, 10:26 AM
Holy cow, glad you are ok! That seems incredibly scary! I was out on the porch yesterday afternoon when it was starting to really rumble, so even though I love watching a good strom I went inside. Getting smarter as I get older. Or is it more chicken? :yes:

Phaxxton
Jul. 30, 2011, 10:29 AM
How scary! Glad you are okay. Have you been the hospital to get checked out or at least called your doctor? I know you say you feel okay, but you should probably get checked out.

Laurierace
Jul. 30, 2011, 10:35 AM
Holy cow! So glad you are ok.

MunchkinsMom
Jul. 30, 2011, 10:47 AM
Glad you are okay, that is some scary stuff!

Knocking on wood, I have not had that close of a call, but I was in the barn once, unloading hay during a storm, and the barn got hit. It was this time last year, I posted about it.

I will tell you I have been much more nervous during storms since the incident, so don't be surprised if you have the same fear when the next storm blows in.

Flash44
Jul. 30, 2011, 10:54 AM
You might want to get a quick check up with your doctor; the electrical current can affect your heart. Sorry it happened! Lightning scares me. There is a great article in a recent Sports Illustrated about some hikers in the Grand Tetons who got caught in a lightning storm while climbing a mountain. Gives some pretty interesting info regarding lightning strikes.

Bluey
Jul. 30, 2011, 11:30 AM
Wow, do get a lottery ticket, you never know.:lol:

Maybe call your Dr's office and ask if you need to come in?

Generally, any time you black out it is better to be checked out, just in case.

A neighbor was going thru a wire gate, lightning hit down the fence and it knocked him back, he woke up 30' away from the gate and thought he was ok.
Two days later he was in town and could not remember how to get back home.:eek:

He called for directions, they came and took him to the Dr and he was fine after a bit.

Don't wait until you can't find your way.;)

ise@ssl
Jul. 30, 2011, 11:34 AM
Ditto to what others have said - you REALLY should go to the ER or your doctor and be checked out.

Also keep an eye on all of your appliances and if you have a well - your well pump. These strikes can cause a surge that does damage to them - have your electrician out to check your circuits.

Freebird!
Jul. 30, 2011, 11:39 AM
You might want to get a quick check up with your doctor; the electrical current can affect your heart. Sorry it happened! Lightning scares me. There is a great article in a recent Sports Illustrated about some hikers in the Grand Tetons who got caught in a lightning storm while climbing a mountain. Gives some pretty interesting info regarding lightning strikes.

Ditto - I would for sure call your Dr!

Arcadien
Jul. 30, 2011, 01:25 PM
Okay guys, enough of you have said check with doctor that I did - she said to take it easy for two days and if I experience any headaches or dizziness, or if my fingertips tingling get's any worse to go to ER.

It's hard to fathom feeling sick though, as I must admit I feel so frigging light hearted and HAPPY today, I wish I could get this effect of being zapped once a week or so:lol:

I'm literally skipping around the house & barnyard giddy. My unscientific opinion is that the electric current opened up all my positive thinking neural pathways & blocked any negative paths.

Or maybe I just subconsciously realize how lucky I am. :D

Lisa Preston
Jul. 30, 2011, 03:03 PM
Wow. Glad you're doing well.

1-Don't ever do that again.

2-If you're not going to buy a lotto, then at least check the cap on your soda. (You probably won some fries.)

3-Have you any cool new skills? (I knew a guy who was hit by lightening as a kid and he swore he was way, way better at math right after.)

How do your fingers feel now?

Bluey
Jul. 30, 2011, 04:16 PM
Okay guys, enough of you have said check with doctor that I did - she said to take it easy for two days and if I experience any headaches or dizziness, or if my fingertips tingling get's any worse to go to ER.

It's hard to fathom feeling sick though, as I must admit I feel so frigging light hearted and HAPPY today, I wish I could get this effect of being zapped once a week or so:lol:

I'm literally skipping around the house & barnyard giddy. My unscientific opinion is that the electric current opened up all my positive thinking neural pathways & blocked any negative paths.

Or maybe I just subconsciously realize how lucky I am. :D

I would guess the way it altered your brain chemistry is, lucky for you, making you feel so good.
Just don't go sticking your fingers in sockets now, hear?:eek:

I am not sure you are a good judge of your mental or maybe even physical state.
Be sure someone is keeping tabs on you.;)
You don't want them to have to go looking for you if you get some really crazy ideas or pass out somewhere out of the way.:no:

Probably you will sleep this off and get back to boring normal in a couple of days.
Have someone looking in on you here and there, just in case.:)

EquineJunky
Jul. 30, 2011, 05:22 PM
So glad you seem to be ok. I had a similar incident in '99. Was standing under my parent's carport attached to their house. Concrete slab. Was about 3-4 ft from the large metal pole center support post. Lightning ran through me as well. Feet came flying off the ground but did land back on them. ER visit for me. EMS responders said my heart rate was ok until they mentioned putting an iv in me (I freak at the mere mention of a needle coming near me). My blood pressure lower number was around 50 if I remember correctly which was the concern. It can dehydrate you. Take it easy and drink plenty!

PS. Lottery hasn't paid off for me yet! LOL I'm still waiting!!

onelove
Jul. 30, 2011, 05:46 PM
I know someone who was indirectly hit during a storm while she was bringing in the horses. She had 3 in one hand , went to open the gate and got zapped hard . The horses stood absolutely still but none of them got it. The woman went to the er and she has some short term memory loss, and is very jittery now with all due right to be . Sadly that same storm a rider was struck elsewhere in the area and both him and his horse died as well as 2 other people in different situations. You are very lucky and while the good feeling is nice, it may be a sign of some temporary brain damage that you should have checked more thoroughly. But do buy a lottery ticket. Just don't be sad if you lose because you already had the luckiest day of your life.

5chestnuts
Jul. 30, 2011, 06:03 PM
It's hard to fathom feeling sick though, as I must admit I feel so frigging light hearted and HAPPY today, I wish I could get this effect of being zapped once a week or so:lol: I'm literally skipping around the house & barnyard giddy. My unscientific opinion is that the electric current opened up all my positive thinking neural pathways & blocked any negative paths. :D Lov'n it!! You go girl! :lol::lol::lol:

farfel
Jul. 30, 2011, 09:23 PM
Adrenaline is very powerful! I experienced a similar feeling of euphoria after walking away from a dramatic car accident a few years ago. I was on top of the world, lol! ;)

Arcadien
Jul. 30, 2011, 09:34 PM
But do buy a lottery ticket. Just don't be sad if you lose because you already had the luckiest day of your life.

LOL yeah I've been thinking that's true. Guess it's back to hard work & positive thinking to create my own "luck" tomorrow :yes:

I related my experience to a few good neighbor friends, and while laughing along with my "happy dance" mood today, they are keeping tabs on me - so if I decide to go for an arbitrary walk or drive I will likely be intercepted:lol:

Fingers are still tingling but not aching (took Ibuprofen). One neighbor pointed out, ground was saturated almost to flooding point around my barn at the peak of the storm, so that's likley why the lightening travelled so easily from impact point to me!

Lesson learned: touching metal attached to pole barn in saturated ground during violent lightening storm = sort of bad idea!:D

Bluey
Jul. 30, 2011, 09:51 PM
Don't be surprised if when your fingers quit tingling from the nerves being fried they do hurt for a bit, like they do after being asleep and regaining feeling.

On the other hand, your brain may have been reset to feel happy easier, so that may be a plus, if it is set now to the half full outlook, rather than the half empty.:cool:

Thanks for checking in, we won't have to worry if you are still ok.
You look fine and smoke finally quit coming out of your ears.:yes:

bird4416
Jul. 30, 2011, 09:54 PM
That's amazing! You are very lucky you weren't seriously injured or worse. So, how is the colicky horse?

chai
Jul. 30, 2011, 10:15 PM
Wow, Arcadien, someone was watching over you! I'm glad you are ok, and your horse is, too. That could have been a lot worse. I think you should call your MD and just run that by him/her because they might want to just look you over to be on the safe side. That's quite a jolt of electricity!

I teach riding and I never fool with Thunder and Lightning. Lessons are cancelled if it's anywhere near us because last year I learned what a bolt out the blue means. Thunder was predicted, but it was still clear overhead so we were out in the yard hand grazing the horses. Suddenly a bolt of lightning came down in the woods across the street from our house with that ear splitting CRACK that lets you know it was way too close. It was totally bizarre.

I agree with the others...go get that lottery ticket pronto!

KnKShowmom
Jul. 30, 2011, 10:16 PM
Have never had that direct of a hit but years ago the telephone line was struck and I was talking on a corded phone - couldn't hear out of that ear and my arm and hand tingled for several days

yaya
Jul. 30, 2011, 10:24 PM
They say that lightning can strike up to 20 MILES away from a storm, so if you hear thunder anywhere around, you are vulnerable.

fivesocks
Jul. 31, 2011, 01:25 AM
I got lightly zapped a few years ago while bringing horses in during a storm. I was leading one into a stall and was holding the stall door. We have a metal barn with a shed row on both sides and dutch doors on the exterior wall of all stalls. So I was under the shed but holding metal, the nasty storm was directly above us, and I got a shock about like an electric fence shock. I wasn't knocked down or anything, so I suppose it could have been some other cause...but I have always figured it was lightning nearby.

Frank B
Jul. 31, 2011, 10:25 AM
Don't buy that lottery ticket! You've probably used up a good portion of your luck allotment! :lol:

Seeing the Doc was a good idea.

Sonesta
Jul. 31, 2011, 06:15 PM
You are a very lucky girl!

Closest I've been was standing INSIDE our barn while tellling my farm hand (who was busy weed whacking next to the round pen gate) to stop and get inside (lighting scares me after seeing the aftermath of a strike to a big tree that killed 6 of my grandfather's mules).

He was arguing that he was almost done when lighting struck the gate. HUGE explosion. Knocked him down and he scrambled to the barn. Scared us both so bad that even the sound of thunder makes us look around and make sure we are not near anything high or metal.

And we have a rule at my barn. Thunder starts and you GET OFF YOUR HORSE and go to the barn.

Tiki
Jul. 31, 2011, 06:25 PM
I had a minor experience years ago. I was up in the run-in shed with the horses and I had a roll of wire for fencing in my hands. A huge storm came up and there were great flashes of lightning. As far as I remember the wire wasn't touching the ground at all, but I got quite a jolt in both hands and dropped the roll of wire. It was a 'shocking' experience.:lol::lol::lol:

yaya
Jul. 31, 2011, 06:40 PM
The wire didn't have to be touching the ground.

I was walking across a parking lot when lightning struck behind the building in front of me across the street, several hundred feet away. As the lightning hit, I noticed an electric arc between my thumb and the metal button on my umbrella. Got a little static shock from that.

rhymeswithfizz
Aug. 1, 2011, 01:43 AM
Last summer I was standing in my youngest daughter's room (which is on the 2nd floor of our house), watching out the window as a big old storm moved in. My feet were bare, and I was standing so that my toes were touching the air vent on the floor. Suddenly ZAP, lighting struck right across the street, at least 100 yards away, and BLAM it shocked my feet but good. Luckily I didn't have more than a couple of toes on the vent - even so it knocked me over!

Lighting is scary, scary stuff.

Belg
Aug. 1, 2011, 11:52 AM
man, and I thought hitting the electeric fence with my forehead was bad...

Arcadien
Aug. 1, 2011, 09:14 PM
Ironically my part of south Jersey just had another rather nasty storm cell pass through (it seems to be a year for bad tstorms for us!), it ended about an hour ago -

Oh the irony! At the office I was planning a long evening's work cleaning the tack/feed/groom area's in the barn in addition to regular stalls, when the clouds collected and the ominous rumbling begam -

At first I was thinking, HA! I'm not afraid of you. I've been hit by lightening already this very WEEK - fat chance you get me again that soon!

Then as I was wheeling the cart back in from the dump pile and I saw a faint, far off flash, I said to myself,

Okay,okay - I DIDN'T play the lottery afterall so maybe discretion is the better part of valor:cool:

Spent the 2 hours the storm was very much present, and noisily accounted for, huddled in the center of my living room with my dogs cuddled close -

Can I call that Post Traumatic Stress Disorder? or is it just plain old, not tempting fate!:D

PS - actually the biggest reason for giving up my big barn tidy up plan tonight was thinking, how on earth will the COTH members forgive me if they hear I was actually DONE IN by a second lightening strike, a few days after posting this thread??? :no::eek::lol::cool:

alterhorse
Aug. 1, 2011, 11:34 PM
If it gives you comfort, you could have lighting rods installed on your barn.

Maybe you're in the process of developing some sort of super powers like an electric personality. ;)

LarkspurCO
Aug. 1, 2011, 11:54 PM
Have never had that direct of a hit but years ago the telephone line was struck and I was talking on a corded phone - couldn't hear out of that ear and my arm and hand tingled for several days

Never talk on a land line or take a shower or bath during a thunderstorm.

Bluey
Aug. 2, 2011, 10:40 AM
I was wondering if you were still doing ok.
Guess you are, staying safe is doing ok, learning from hairraising experiences.;)

We had a bad storm that blew out our electric line fuses, those 4" copper middle ones in our well box, 220's.

The electricity was still off from the main line and I could not flip them off, so took my handy-dandy pocket knife and use it to pry them.
Seems that at that same time the linemen got it running again.:eek:

I remember a great big blinding boom and waking up a few seconds later sitting on the ground some feet back from the pole, knife still in hand, but now with only half the blade, the other half melted off.:dead:

I will tell you, almost 40 years later, I still hide behind something when someone is messing with electrical boxes, expecting a big flash and mayhem.
They laughed at me until I showed them the melted pocket knife.:winkgrin:

PSTD? I don't think so, being cautious and learning from your experiences, that is what keeps us alive. :cool:

MunchkinsMom
Aug. 3, 2011, 01:37 AM
Thought I would share my thread on my experience with lightning last year:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268247