PDA

View Full Version : Best Poultice

shamrocker
Jul. 30, 2011, 08:49 AM
Ok, GMHA 3 day is coming up in the next few weeks. Got the ice boots ready to roll....what are some suggestions for Poultice etc, after endurance day. What brand poultice is recommended.

Thanks!!:)

retreadeventer
Jul. 30, 2011, 09:01 AM
Some brands are "stickier" than others and I find these messy to use. At home I've got a nice washrack, but away from home you don't often have unlimited water and good place to stand that drains, etc. so be particular about which brand you choose!

I like the non-medicated kind for legs (medicated is great for feet packing). I think Ice-Tight is a "hard to wash off" brand. I just bought a new Finish Line brand and I'll give you an update after I use it. I'll get back out to the barn and check on my buckets and see which ones we've got out there! I can't remember!

yellowbritches
Jul. 30, 2011, 09:06 AM
I am not a huge believer in poultice...unless it's SoreNoMore. I actually see a difference with it. Other stuff, I really don't notice anything that makes it worth the mess.

That being said, I would not start using something new AT a competition, especially a three day. You would hate for to find out your horse has a sensitivity to a poultice a few hours before the final jog. So, my recommendation would be if you HAVEN'T been using poultice, don't. It really does very little, anyway, especially if your horse doesn't have an issue.

CatchMeIfUCan
Jul. 30, 2011, 09:11 AM
For me, all brands are pretty much the same. I just buy whatever one is covnenient/on sale. I think I tend to pick up the Uptite first because it's the cheapest. I've had Kool Out Clay a couple time. I would not buy a medicated poultice if your horse has any white on its legs-- it can turn their legs funky colors! My horse had a tendency to stock up over night and with poultice his legs come out tight and cool in the morning.

To avoid the problems that retreadeventer mentioned, I make sure I get all the poultice off before I make it to the wash rack. Usually some of mine is still wet in the morning (I use soaking wet shop towels) so I peel that off first then use a jelly curry lightly on the dried part. Then I take the horse to the wash rack and soap up its legs to get the remaining dust off. Works perfectly (and I've groomed black horses!).

deltawave
Jul. 30, 2011, 09:12 AM
Save your money. Stick with ice. This is the 21st century. :)

shamrocker
Jul. 30, 2011, 09:53 AM
OK thanks. Will do the ice boots, and use Sore No more which we have used before on the mare for set up at night.

GingerJumper
Jul. 30, 2011, 09:57 AM
I'm not a huge believer in poultice, honestly... Go with the ice boots, and if you want something to draw out a little extra heat, apply some diluted liniment, or a brace if you horse isn't too sensitive. Much easier to clean up than poultice, as well.

old eventer
Jul. 30, 2011, 10:02 AM
I do ice, then sore no more poultice for over night. Seems to be the only one i can see a difference in the outcome.

reay6790
Jul. 30, 2011, 10:46 AM
I really like sore no more.

CarolinaGirl
Jul. 30, 2011, 12:05 PM
I always used Uptite poultice.. I always brush the stuff off and then wash the the legs in the morning.

Zephyr
Jul. 30, 2011, 05:12 PM
Did my first poulticing ever after my last XC using Ice Tight. I've always felt like it can't possibly do anything, but I went to a clinic where we learned how to do it so I thought I'd give it a whirl. I was actually amazed that his legs felt ICE COLD the next morning when I took off the bandages. So, worth 20 minutes, why not? (It is kind of a pain to rinse off though.)

I've heard legs can blow up if you use Sore No More poultice (or any medicated type) and there are any minor cuts or scrapes that it gets into. Not worth the risk to me!

Give and Take
Jul. 30, 2011, 08:46 PM
I use SorenoMore linement and Back on Track quilts. Keeps circulation going thru the leg to take out swelling.

Creaghgal
Jul. 30, 2011, 10:59 PM
I like Antiphlogistine for getting cucumber cool legs.

kkindley
Jul. 31, 2011, 10:17 AM
So here's a question for you all, kinda related. I'd like to do a 3 day hopefully next year. My mare lives out 24/7. Does that usually cause any problems with stocking up more than horses used to being in? She's a TB, so a bit of a princess. for example, she will stock up on a hour or longer trailer ride if I don't wrap her, no shipping boots here. :(

I'd like to start messing with this stuff sooner than later to see what helps/what doesn't. Ice of course, but thinking of overnight, or just standing wraps?

deltawave
Jul. 31, 2011, 10:37 AM
Mine live out mostly 24/7, too, and yes they might stock up a little at shows when they're confined. Lots and lots of walking helps, and I will do standing bandages at shows for this reason if it's not too hot. But still no poultice. Chemically a poultice HEATS the leg, not cools it (unless you put it on ice cold, and I'd rather just ice them) and whatever minimal shrinking effect you get from the stuff drying is readily accomplished with just wrapping.

GingerJumper
Jul. 31, 2011, 11:48 AM
So here's a question for you all, kinda related. I'd like to do a 3 day hopefully next year. My mare lives out 24/7. Does that usually cause any problems with stocking up more than horses used to being in? She's a TB, so a bit of a princess. for example, she will stock up on a hour or longer trailer ride if I don't wrap her, no shipping boots here. :(

I'd like to start messing with this stuff sooner than later to see what helps/what doesn't. Ice of course, but thinking of overnight, or just standing wraps?

Many do stock up if they're used to being out. Lots of handwalking, properly applied standing wraps (if it's not too hot out), and icing all help. Poultice really doesn't... Like delta said, poultice actually ups the heat. If it's hot out, you could try using rubbing alcohol to rinse her legs with before wrapping. Not kidding! It evaporates faster than water so the cooling effect is more dramatic. I was shown this trick by a vet, it makes a big difference.

beeblebrox
Jul. 31, 2011, 12:00 PM
We ice ice ice... Nothing cheaper or better. Than walk walk walk. Pretty much walking and icing.

90% of the horses then get alcohol and Standing wraps. Then don't be sleepy head wake up and walk ice walk in morning. My guy moves for an hour before we ever think about jogging and I know some of the jogs are early. Just a nice healthy precaution and they love moving.

I have seen no discernible difference between the clays and we use it more for bruises you can see (like hitting fence, kicking trailer, kick in the field, basic lumps and bumps) and apply liberally after ice. A sturdy blue disposable shop towel (paper towel from Auto store) between clay and you're standing keeps things more tidy and you spritz shop towel to keep more moisture for longer.

Would not try something new at a show, some horses (a few) can get sensitive to the clay and you MUST wash it off completely as it can cause issues on some horses if left on too long.