PDA

View Full Version : Donatello Failure

Desert Topaz
Jul. 29, 2011, 10:37 PM
Much to my sadness, my Donatellos are definitely not holding up. I've had them for two months and at the most wear them every other day for less than an hour.

It looks like the stretchy leather is ripping where it was stitched. If I had to pick a likely failure point in the boot that would be it. They should have lasted longer with my rather minimal usage. I really do love the boots, but alas...

Picture 1 (http://www.ballybran.org/2011/donatello1.JPG)

Picture 2 (http://www.ballybran.org/2011/donatello2.JPG)

KateKat
Jul. 30, 2011, 02:49 AM
oh no! Did you already contact Tredstep about it? I wouldn't think they would be failing so soon either.

hightide
Jul. 30, 2011, 10:23 AM
This is really disappointing, considering Ariat has downhill as well. Wonder if they're using the same factory, or something of the likes?
When my half chaps strap broke, TredStep was awesome at sending me a replacement. :)

deltawave
Jul. 30, 2011, 10:23 AM
Looks like the "tissue" underneath is still intact--they're still usable, right? I would call them and ask for a replacement pair.

Desert Topaz
Jul. 30, 2011, 10:30 AM
Since I noticed it on a Friday night I haven't contacted them yet, but plan to.

Larbear
Aug. 1, 2011, 12:47 PM
Crud, well that's disappointing :(

LoveJubal
Sep. 7, 2011, 05:10 PM
OP -

What happened with the boots?
Did they die?
Did you contact Tredstep? If so, what was their response?

Thanks - I am trying to decide whether to put these on my Christmas list or not :winkgrin:

Liebe-ist-Krieg
Sep. 7, 2011, 06:24 PM
Please let us know what they say... I just ordered a pair yesterday!

I´m really hard on my boots, but I was hoping they would at least last 1/2 a year or so for me..

INoMrEd
Sep. 7, 2011, 07:35 PM
I bought a pair of the half chaps made by Tredstep with the same stretch "leather" on eBay. They fell apart right away. They are still usable but very ugly. If I hadn't bought them on eBay I would have returned them.

Desert Topaz
Sep. 7, 2011, 10:22 PM
I returned them to SmartPak (as that's where I'd gotten them from.) Nobody there had heard of them doing this. I decided to replace them with the Davinci's, which should be here tomorrow.

hightide
Sep. 7, 2011, 10:39 PM
Quick question involving the Donatellos. I was looking to get them, but how low did they drop for you? I'm thinking they may be a too short for me, but it depends if they drop 1 or 2 inches.

Desert Topaz
Sep. 7, 2011, 11:30 PM
They barely dropped. Maybe an inch.

LoveJubal
Sep. 8, 2011, 05:49 PM
Please let me know how the DaVinci Boots are by comparison...

Why did you decide to switch to them vs. getting a new pair (or repairing) the Donatello Boots?

Thanks

Desert Topaz
Sep. 8, 2011, 06:26 PM
Because the Tredstep tall boots are so new I couldn't be sure whether my pair of Donatellos was defective or if it was a design problem. So, I decided to get the Davincis. I chose them because I needed new boots ASAP and knew what size I'd need with them.

Desert Topaz
Oct. 29, 2011, 03:01 PM
I've decided the DaVincis are a no go and will be returning them. All the things that make the Donatello so awesome are just not there with the DaVinci. They're just another boot and one that doesn't fit me as nicely. I almost wonder if they got the prices confused on the two models. I didn't ride in them, so have no idea how they would break in.

If come spring I've heard of no other Donatellos breaking down I will probably return to them. The only boot I've liked anywhere near as much was the front zip Ariat Volant, but I think that red is going to clash with my pink XC outfit :D

deltawave
Oct. 29, 2011, 03:07 PM
My Donatellos have survived a normal show season (on and off multiple times at each show but rarely used otherwise and rarely left on between rides) with no zipper problems. They are pretty snug and if I wear thicker socks or breeches I definitely have to reef on the zipper pull to get them zipped, but no damage, stretching or splitting so far. FWIW.

eventer_mi
Oct. 30, 2011, 12:04 PM
Yup, same with mine. Mine fit perfectly, even with a pair of thicker socks (but if I combined that with thick breeches, I think it would take some careful pulling - and lots of swearing!- to get the zipper up). Lasted me through a show season, too, but I don't school in them unless we're doing something special, like XC schooling. Mine still look like new.

The Ariat Volants are HEAVENLY! They do come in an all-black version. Too bad they're not more affordable.