PDA

View Full Version : Prestige or Stubben?

stoverose
Jul. 29, 2011, 06:05 PM
So Prestige or Stubben? Im stuck.

I have a 9 year old quarter horse mare and we are just starting out in dressage... but we are moving up to First level so i thought a purchase of a dressage saddle would be nice. My mare is fairly wide backed and has a pretty nice top line. Being a quarter horse she is naturally thicker also.
The Prestige saddle is 18 inch seat and 33 wide... and does have a narrower twist.
The Stubben is 18 inch seat and 32 wide... but has a wider twist.
Both of the saddles are about 10-15 years old, and around $1000.... I also am a fair narrow hipped person.
My question is, based on your experience...which saddle would you prefer? Which do you think is the most comfortable? What do you horses seem to like best? I am riding in both saddles tomorrow and having a fitter look at them... but i just wanted some outside input as-well.

kinnip
Jul. 29, 2011, 06:10 PM
I've found that Prestige is better for wider backed horses, though I prefer to ride in a Stubben. Having purchased a goodly few used saddles, I've come to the realization that my preference will often have to be sacrificed for the fit.

mickeydoodle
Jul. 29, 2011, 06:12 PM
I am afraid that I have found both of those saddles very uncomfortable for me. If I were looking for a used wide tree, narrow twist, I would look at County's

Lost_at_C
Jul. 29, 2011, 06:42 PM
Unfortunately saddle fitting is a very individual thing and others' experiences really won't tell you anything about what is most suitable for you and your horse. A good saddle fitter will watch you riding your horse in each saddle and be able to tell you how it affects your leg position, etc as well as any problems with it fitting the horse in motion.

cadance
Jul. 31, 2011, 12:52 AM
if your mare's back is wide and flat, from what I know a few Prestige models should work for her. Trilogy is also a good choice for wide backed horses.

Cougar85
Jul. 31, 2011, 08:05 AM
I know several people who ride (or have ridden) in prestige and their #1 complaint was the saddle leather - it does not hold up. I'm not talking about the stitching - the actual leather.
I've never seen leather damage like this in any other saddle brand.

Bugs-n-Frodo
Jul. 31, 2011, 02:36 PM
I know several people who ride (or have ridden) in prestige and their #1 complaint was the saddle leather - it does not hold up. I'm not talking about the stitching - the actual leather.
I've never seen leather damage like this in any other saddle brand.

I concur with this. I borrowed one from a friend for a while and it did have very worn leather (OK, there was a hole on the bottom part of the flap). I otherwise liked the saddle though.

I should be a County rep, but, I have to say, I love my County. However, I agree, saddle fit is a very personal thing. I have a friend who HATES my saddle (*sniff sniff* what did my saddle ever do to her?) but loves her Passier... which, I find to be very uncomfortable.