View Full Version : Neat Video Clip... Chinese Eventer

Xctrygirl
Jul. 29, 2011, 02:20 PM
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/video/2011-07/29/content_13004651.htm

Just a really cool story.

~Emily

Aussie08
Jul. 29, 2011, 02:44 PM
He is one of the most eloquent speakers I've heard of late. It will be interesting following him in the coming years.

snoopy
Jul. 29, 2011, 02:47 PM
He is very nice...was just talking to him at a recent stallion show in which he had one of his horses.

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 29, 2011, 03:22 PM
He had a great blog with Horse and Hound last year.

His web site is here....I keep hoping he will start blogging again. I was bummed when he didn't come over for WEG.....he's a very nice young rider to cheer for and has a lovely string of horses right now.

http://alexhuatian.co.uk/en/

linquest
Aug. 1, 2011, 09:32 PM
I'm really excited for this young man. I know there were a lot of naysayers when he was gunning for the 2008 Olympics, saying that he only got in because people were paying $$$ for horses for him. Hopefully his performance over the last few years, even after moving away from his trainers, will shut them up!

His video for "Visit Britain" makes me so jealous...it looks like he's riding in a fairy tale!
http://www.visitbritain.tv/cel​ebrity/alex-hua-tian-invites-y​ou-to-britain.html

Galadriël Fëfalas
Aug. 2, 2011, 05:44 AM
People only ever have good things to say about Alex :)

He's a very, very good rider, and so young!

Ajierene
Aug. 2, 2011, 09:17 AM
While I do think he's a great rider and seems like a good person, I cannot help but find the amusement in the fact that he is so obviously not "Chinese Eventer" (he is by heritage, but not birth - born and raised in London). It is like me representing Poland in the Olympics.

Xctrygirl
Aug. 2, 2011, 09:35 AM
I think we need to remember that the UK and for that matter, much of Europe and its neighboring countries, is the place to be while immersing yourself in our sport.

We would all love if the hot bed of the sport was here, but sadly it's not.

Alex is Chinese, and he is wise to train where he can get the most bang for his buck. Same as Karen and David did while training in England for many years. And there are countless others who have done stints in the UK to improve their skills.

Semantics are fun to debate, but really I am excited that some of the lesser known country eventing competitors are really amping up their game by training with Bigger Names all over the world.

~Emily

Ibex
Aug. 2, 2011, 12:34 PM
Seems like a really nice kid who knows how much work it will take to get to the top.

I do agree tho that it's funny to see him called Chinese... he's British with one parent who happens to be from China. He hasn't just relocated there for training purposes. BUT... it's not that uncommong for people to use dual citizenship to compete for another country in various sports (figure skaing, track etc)... you still have to qualify regardless and if it opens doors, I say go for it!

bornfreenowexpensive
Aug. 2, 2011, 01:39 PM
See...to me he is BOTH. Having grown up in Hawaii and known many people who are similar....to say he is not Chinese is a bit of an insult.

He is both. He does a ton representing China and trying to develop this sport in Asia. Giving a lot of himself to that goal.

To me he is still very much Chinese even though he also has roots in the UK. He is very representative of a person from a multilple cultural background who can work well in the world today. And I do cheer for him because of all he can do to help spread support for this sport.

JP60
Aug. 2, 2011, 02:42 PM
One of the things that gets me to ponder is the aspect of nationality in sports. Generally I don't give a hoot where someone is from for it is about doing ones best, no matter the sport. Yet we have these events (WEG, Olympics, etc) that place the idea that people are representing "their" country when what I see more and more is a blurring of those lines.

The worst offender for me has been the America's Cup. Skippers, sailors, even designers now can get a "join our country free" card so they can say they are Japanese (Chris Dickson (AU)), or Swiss (Russell Couts (NZ)), or Italian (Paul Cayard (US)). All this so they get the best team while losing the spirit or intent of the Deed. For me it stopped being an America's Cup, a race amongst nations, and more a corporate cup, a race for corporate bragging rights.

So now I'm into Eventing. I watch a show on TV early on and a guy is going to interview the top rider for the US and the accent sure aint from around here. Do people race under a flag, not of their birth, because of opportunity, or a sense of being committed to their new home?

To be clear, I respect each and every rider So Much so this is not a slam, but perhaps a comment on what is missing in our own (US) rider program. For inspiration my male riders come from Australia (Boyd Martin/Phillip Dutton), Great Britain (William Fox Pitt), and Canada (Peter Barry) (Becky and Comet are at the very top, but as a guy, I'd like some guy role models)). I know long time eventers will tell me about this guy and that guy, but I just started and they are not on the radar screen.

In the end, I don't really have strong feelings about cheering for a US team vs GB or CAN or whatever, because those I respect come from all over. Also, with a SO that was born Swedish and grew up in Austria, come 2012 I'll be walking a fine line in public cheering though my heart will be saying "go USA". With mostly humor, but some truth, were I given an opportunity to ride for the Swedish team (ancestral home) by becoming Swedish, living near Stockholm and training all the time...Done!

At some point, will nationality matter?

redsunset
Jan. 19, 2012, 06:59 AM
Just for the record, Alex's father is a Chinese national living in China. Alex grew up and was educated in China and Hong Kong until he was 11. He then went to the UK with his mother and brother for his schooling. His father remained in China and the family return home to China regularly. This is a very common situation for Chinese families who chose to educate their children abroad. Alex has a Chinese passport and was one of 50 Chinese nationals to receive the 2010 China 'Charisma' Award, a prestigious and independent (non-government) award for Chinese nationals from all walks of life who are "stylish, influential and charismatic, but above all having a positive influence on the world around them".

Divine Comedy
Jan. 19, 2012, 10:13 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but for purposes of international Olympic sanctioned competition (so for us, Olympics, Pan Ams, and WEGs?) I believe competitors are permitted to change the country they compete for only once in their lifetimes. So Phillip and Boyd went from AUS to USA, but can never change again, right? And Boyd's wife Silva went from GER to USA as well.

That is a pretty big decision, and keeps the sport from having 'country hoppers' like the America's Cup in sailing.