PDA

View Full Version : Dressage Today mag-Frustrating.-Update 10/31 Post #34

vicarious
Jul. 29, 2011, 12:29 PM
I'm a long time subscriber, and for years I've given gift subscriptions. Last year, as this year, they start nagging early for re-subscriptions, but never once mention the gift program.

Where in previous years, I received a notice showing my previous gift subscriptions, and all I needed to do is check them off, add or subtract names and adresses, last year, nothing. It required phone calls, and time on the phone talking to someone who never heard of such a thing.

Am I alone in this?

Equibrit
Jul. 29, 2011, 03:45 PM
http://dressage-today.com-sub.biz/?gclid=CPqH2-Snp6oCFcOs7QodDiEhAQ#

Unfforgettable
Jul. 29, 2011, 04:08 PM
I quit subscribing a couple years ago. I hate it when I subscribe to a magazine....maybe because I picked up a couple of issues at the local tack shop and liked it...and then they start your subscription with three month old magazines I've already bought and read, and I end up with only nine fresh issues. If I subscribe in May, let's start with the June issue, not February, March and April.

vicarious
Jul. 29, 2011, 06:26 PM
http://dressage-today.com-sub.biz/?gclid=CPqH2-Snp6oCFcOs7QodDiEhAQ#

Equibrit- This helps me-how? Your link doesn't mention any gift subscriptions. It allows me to subscribe. They have already sent three or four offers for me (alone) to subscribe, when my subscription doesn't expire til next Jan.

They waste a lot on postage.

Equibrit
Jul. 29, 2011, 07:21 PM
Click the box marked "Gift Subscriptions" for a NEW "Gift Subscription"
Read the box marked "Renew my Subscription" to renew an existing subscription. You will notice that you can have different adresses for "Delivery" and "Billing".

I'm not paying for you.

monstrpony
Jul. 30, 2011, 05:23 AM
I quit subscribing a couple years ago. I hate it when I subscribe to a magazine....maybe because I picked up a couple of issues at the local tack shop and liked it...and then they start your subscription with three month old magazines I've already bought and read, and I end up with only nine fresh issues. If I subscribe in May, let's start with the June issue, not February, March and April.

Even worse when they do this with your own renewal. I mean, *hello* they have no problem hounding you that your subscription expires in August, but when it comes to actually mailing the magazines on the renewal, they can't figure out that your renewal should start in September, not April? (not specifically DT)

ise@ssl
Jul. 30, 2011, 07:21 AM
I also stopped subscribing afew years ago. They kept using the SAME PEOPLE for the articles and some of them I felt weren't up to the task. Especially when it comes to young horse training. There is more than one person in this country with knowledge to share on this subject AND they are actually making and showing young horses - but they use the same person over and over again.

Equibrit
Jul. 30, 2011, 09:17 AM
There is an art to writing an article for Dressage Today. You have to be able to BE SEEN, boost your ego, and make folks think that you have something to offer, without actually saying anything useful.

Where'sMyWhite
Jul. 30, 2011, 09:21 AM
Nice to know I am not the only one not enamored of DT.

I subscribe to Equus and Practical Horseman and will be keeping those but letting my DT lapse. They just seem to repeat the same articles over and over with nothing, to me, particularly helpful to the ammy riders.

Hpilot
Jul. 30, 2011, 09:23 AM
I quit subscribing several years back because you get so many offers to subscribe in the mail. I didn't realize it, but I subscribed twice and of course only paid one bill. They kept saying I didn't pay. I could not get up with anyone or the right person, so I let it lapse. I think more than one company sends the notices. That was frustrating!

Action42
Jul. 30, 2011, 10:33 PM
The last time I subscribed, I only received issues for the first couple of months then they stopped sending them and had NO idea who I was when I called to ask about it regardless of the fact that they were somehow still able to send me junk mail??

Carol O
Jul. 30, 2011, 11:29 PM
I'm a long time subscriber, and for years I've given gift subscriptions. Last year, as this year, they start nagging early for re-subscriptions, but never once mention the gift program.

Where in previous years, I received a notice showing my previous gift subscriptions, and all I needed to do is check them off, add or subtract names and adresses, last year, nothing. It required phone calls, and time on the phone talking to someone who never heard of such a thing.

Am I alone in this?

No, you are not alone. I gave up on the gift subscriptions last year. They all got Jilly Cooper books instead.

jenm
Jul. 31, 2011, 01:36 AM
Nice to know I am not the only one not enamored of DT.

I subscribe to Equus and Practical Horseman and will be keeping those but letting my DT lapse. They just seem to repeat the same articles over and over with nothing, to me, particularly helpful to the ammy riders.

I totally relate to this. I'm an ammy rider with a greenbean and a youngster, and I think in the past two years there was one article that a friend of mine liked and one article this past July that I liked.

I find I get a lot more from PH and Equus.

staceyk
Jul. 31, 2011, 06:44 AM
Where are the ELECTRONIC options for subscribing? If COTH can do it, so can you, guys! I love having access to old issues ONLINE and not having my husband nag me about old issues lying around.

W/regard to Dressage Today -- as a magazine featuring top riders that people emulate, REQUIRE HELMETS (think this is turning around, but it's pretty belated).

That said, some of the articles are gems and worth the price of admission.

ise@ssl
Jul. 31, 2011, 08:17 AM
Equibrit - BRAVO. You hit the nail right on the head. I sometimes feel DT has this list of their favorites, several of whom have NOTHING new to offer and reputations based on puffed up marketing. We need to have "HANDS ON" contributors who actually can provide valuable information. As I stated before with respect to Young Horse Training - I want people who actually DO train young horses and COMPETE them. Not the ones that tell us what we know and strut around in riding clothes talking the talk - but DON'T walk the walk . Wink Wink - I think we all know who I mean. Why should some individuals keep getting the FREE ADVERTISING for their businesses when they have nothing new to offer?

trip*
Jul. 31, 2011, 11:23 AM
I subscribed last September, didn't receive a mag until December, and haven't received July or August issues. Not sure what is going on. Initially I thought it was because we had the postal strike and Canada Post was just very behind in getting them to me. But last week I got a slip in the mail to renew my subscription. So I'm going to call this week and see what is going on. I don't think I'll be renewing my subscription this year.

Eireamon
Jul. 31, 2011, 09:10 PM
My other half brought me a gift sub to Practical Horseman and Dressage Today about 3 yrs ago. It was to go on the end of a sub I had to DT that was due to end in a couple more months. Once my initial sub ended that was it. We never received a single copy. We fought for almost a year (we are in New Zealand) and still never received any copies. In the end we just gave up and had lost our money. We tried to apply to Visa for a refund but because we had spent so long trying to rectify the situation with the supplier it was too late for Visa to get a refund.

Needless to say we have never bothered to subscribe again. Prior to this I had been a subscriber for years without any issues but the poor customer services did our heads in.

I do miss Dressage Today but donot want to lose more money again so have never bothered trying to subscribe again.

ideayoda
Jul. 31, 2011, 09:52 PM
I have reordered it twice at its specially discounted price....and I get NO contact back....and think it HAS been LOST. Not going to bother much longer.

Natalie A
Jul. 31, 2011, 10:11 PM
Letting my subscription to DT lapse, too. Too expensive and much of it was either too simple or way beyond what I am doing. Somehow PH manages to present articles in a way that makes them entertaining and informative even when they don't apply to me in a way that DT doesn't.

And when I just ordered 24 issues of Vogue for $24, stomaching $19.99 for 12 issues seems absurd. I know it's all supply and demand, but still! Letting PH lapse for a bit, hoping they have a holiday special since I do enjoy it.

SmartAlex
Aug. 1, 2011, 10:30 AM
Sometime last year I took them up on a free issue offer, then declined to subscribe to the magazine, and went round and round with their subscription service. In the end, I ended up paying for the subscription because it was easier than arguing with idiots. Now my subscription has lapsed. They have been deluging my with the usual renewal offers, and my magazine keeps coming. They are not getting another red cent out of me. If I want a particular issue, I will pick it up at the store.

monstrpony
Aug. 1, 2011, 11:15 AM
Got a PM from DT about this thread, so they are aware and are interested in righting the issues. Mine post wasn't specifically about DT, but it's good to know that they are following up.

atlatl
Aug. 1, 2011, 12:34 PM
I guess I'm the other side of the coin. I think I stopped subscribing 2 years ago; yet the magazine keeps coming???

Eireamon
Aug. 1, 2011, 06:20 PM
Lucky you atlatl. I was seriously pissed at losing my hard earned money on magazines that never turned up.

ise@ssl
Aug. 1, 2011, 07:43 PM
Amazing all these various issues with getting or not getting a magazine but those damned catalogues we don't want seem to show up no matter what we do!!!!!!!!

Jeito
Aug. 2, 2011, 06:22 AM
I too quit subscribing to Dressage Today, and also Equus and Practical Horseman, because they seemed to publish variations of the same articles over and over again.

Equibrit
Aug. 2, 2011, 10:19 AM
Amazing all these various issues with getting or not getting a magazine but those damned catalogues we don't want seem to show up no matter what we do!!!!!!!!

Print up some "return to sender" labels and use them.

vicarious
Aug. 2, 2011, 11:12 AM
Got a PM from DT about this thread, so they are aware and are interested in righting the issues. Mine post wasn't specifically about DT, but it's good to know that they are following up.

I also got a PM, which I do intend to answer. However, the message asked what the gift subscription offer was. Since I don't keep a file for magazine subscriptions, and the last offer was in 2009, I can't remember exactly how it went.

Anyone here keep a file or remember?

swgarasu
Aug. 2, 2011, 05:44 PM
I don't love the mag but I usually subscribe when they offer a big discount. I've been fortunate I guess that I actually pay what the offer says and get the magazine. I signed up the website and get offers in my email, and when they have a special I take it.

As for the articles- I find much of it to be fluff- I don't really care about rich people having a party, but sometimes I do read a training article that gives me an idea to try and it is helpful. I also think it can be hard for them to find authors as #1, someone has to write the article, and a lot of trainers don't have the time or the talent and #2, there are so many politics involved - example- may not be able to run an article by a certain person because they use rollkur or something. Also- the horse world is a small world, and if you never heard the name of the person writing the articles, you probably wouldn't buy the magazine- because it could be anybody writing the article.
I think the magazine could be improved, and I don't think it's worth the cover price or the regular subscription price, but I do like it enough to pay something for it.

ThatScaryChick
Aug. 2, 2011, 05:54 PM
I subscribe to Practical Horseman, Equus and Horse & Rider through Amazon and sometimes I can get a discount through them. I even got a years worth of Horse Illustrated for 5 dollars. (I don't usually subscribe to it, but it was a such a good deal.) Plus, I don't have to worry about subscription lapse or other problems because Amazon deals with the magazine companies. When it's time to renew I just get an email. Also, last year, I was getting magazines covers that were constantly ripped and I made a complaint to Amazon and they fixed the problem and I got a couple of extra issues out of it.

Eireamon
Aug. 2, 2011, 06:55 PM
I spoke to the other half about this last night and he told me when he had done the sub he had subscribed to DT/PH and Equus combined. I thought it was just DT and PH as they are the ones I normally subscribed to.

As the NZ $ is only half of the US we lost double the value and being In NZ we could not phone anyone. 0800 # donot work from international locations so we were completely screwed.

Really annoyed.

Justmyluck
Aug. 2, 2011, 06:58 PM
Where are the ELECTRONIC options for subscribing? If COTH can do it, so can you, guys! I love having access to old issues ONLINE and not having my husband nag me about old issues lying around.

W/regard to Dressage Today -- as a magazine featuring top riders that people emulate, REQUIRE HELMETS (think this is turning around, but it's pretty belated).

That said, some of the articles are gems and worth the price of admission.

They can be found on zinio.com. My only thing is that if everything goes electronic you can put printers out of business. Seeing as my family is in printing, perhaps you'll miss the nostalgia of having a magazine in your hand.

sdlbredfan
Aug. 2, 2011, 07:03 PM
The only thing I can count on enjoying in DT is the Sandy Rabinowitz art on the inside back page feature that illustrates some riding or training tip! I agree that article content has been trending to fluff for awhile. Reading this thread makes me glad I decided not to waste money on subscribing to it, validating my opinion of it.

HFSH
Aug. 4, 2011, 12:51 PM

Ilona, try this site:

https://www.catalogchoice.org/

vicarious
Oct. 31, 2011, 03:56 PM
Not only did my grumble on the COTH get their attention, but they came through with my renewal, and my gift subscriptions at an excellent rate.

While I too find a few of their articles repetitive, we must realize that we are dealing with dressage, and teaching it is unfortunately sometimes very repetitive. As far as some articles being too advanced, well, when you get to ride or attempt to ride those movements, you may understand them better. I wish magazines like this and teachers such as Jane Savoie were around many, many years ago, when I was learning the basics and attempting to do more.

Valentina_32926
Nov. 1, 2011, 02:35 PM
Yeah! Power to COTH!!

CZF
Nov. 1, 2011, 03:57 PM
At least you guys got your subscriptions! I have tried three years in a row to subscribe and they never sign me up.

BTW, for you Americans, Canadians pay almost double for their subscriptions, even when our dollar is higher! :( You guys can get 24 issues for $32, we pay $56!

CFFarm
Nov. 2, 2011, 10:31 AM
I'm probably gonna let mine lapse because the training articles I used to so enjoy are few and far between. I really don't care about the lastest dressage fashions and the latest young rider with the Five or $ix figure horse.

I did sign up for Equus because it was only $10 and I hadn't gotten it for many years and DT was not what it used to be. Worked out well because in the first issue I got there was a $10 off coupon for my brand of feed!

cadance
Nov. 2, 2011, 10:46 AM
my friend received her 'current' copy of Dressage Today 2 months AFTER i had purchased the same magazine from barnes & noble...i just wait for my friends to drop off their old (aka, current) copies in the tack room

shall
Nov. 6, 2011, 05:15 AM
I just re-subscribed to ToplineInk which is 110% content. Check them out online. They publish quarterly I believe. The focus is classical dressage training for the horse and rider. The content is from some of the best across the country.

hoopoe
Nov. 6, 2011, 09:17 AM
I knew DT jumped the shark when they started publishing articles on show ring fashion and hair.

Made me long for the old days of the USDF magazine , editing errors and all and D/CT filled with interesting stuff in small print

The only magazine I have felt is a must have is The Horse. For all horse owners and lovers, a vital source of information on horse wellness

Also a great price, great gift program and on-line resource

catosis
Nov. 6, 2011, 09:35 AM
I stopped caring about that magazine a long time ago... They made me rather angry when they started including articles for juniors that are clearly geared toward the 14 year olds with lots and lots of their daddy's money. Also, I have noticed the usefulness of many of the articles has steadily declined over the year.

MeghanDACVA
Nov. 6, 2011, 09:52 AM
I actually wrote down when I resubscribed, and for how long, this last time. I am sure there is some code on the address label, or there used to be codes, that indicate when the subscription began or when it ends but I can't figure it out on the label. Looking at the label on the Nov issue I see Nov 11 as one date, and Apr 13 as another. No years. My subscription was renewed Feb 12 in 2011 for 2 yrs. So maybe that is what the Ap 13 is? When it expires? But I renewed my PH at the same time and it has, in addition to the Nov 11, Jul 12. I only renewed it for one year (don't ask me, I have no idea why I did that but I am sure I had a good reason at the time?)
So maybe check your address label.

As for electronic issues. I absolutely HATE them. I did it one year for COTH and vowed I would neve do it again. I don't have my computer with me in the bathroom, can't pick it up and flip thru it quickly for something, etc. Yes, I don't have to throw out all those annoying little card inserts but I just put them in the paper recycling pile. I guess offering both sorts of subscriptions would be an option for them since it seems some folks like the electronic versions though.

js
Nov. 6, 2011, 10:20 AM
I miss the old Dressage and CT, now that was a magazine!

I gave up on DT years ago. The constant hounding to renew even after you've just renewed it. I did that once and ended up renewing several times in a row. I kept thinking I had renewed but would get another renewal notice. After that I just let it go until it ran out. The magazine has gotten so small and what's left is mostly advertisements. I don't find the articles all that informative and it's a lot of repetition of the same type articles over and over. If I see a copy that looks interesting I pick it up at the book store.

I have to agree with MeghanDACVA on the digital issues (LOL on the bathroom). I sit in front of a computer all day at work, I really don't have that much time in the evening to do the same at home and can't really get away with sneaking a peek at work.

PFMJ
Nov. 7, 2011, 08:33 PM
I miss Dressage & CT too. Magazines with substance. There are way too many magazines out there for individuals who are beginners or just starting out.

I also wonder why two of the editions of DT have to be specific to Young Riders and Baroque horses. That is basically two that can go in the trash for me. It's great to cater but the entire magazine??? Really.

I'm about ready to drop it too. Practical Horseman went a long time ago.

mbm
Nov. 7, 2011, 09:23 PM
i got a bunch of old DTs from when it was affiliated with USDF.... boy, i was shocked at how different (and useless) it is now!

the old mag had real, useful content.

now? total fluff.

as for the rest, i too have had magazines, lost, subscriptions lost, etc etc.

SnicklefritzG
Nov. 7, 2011, 09:32 PM
I don't bother with magazines anymore in general.

Not to hijack the original "horsey" content, but other magazines I've subscribed to have gone downhill as well. I used to buy Vogue Knitting all the time, but now their patterns (or most) are so way out as to be unwearable in most situations. Before they had tons of classic stuff. Other magazines started catering only to certain body types (usually very large) leaving nothing really useable for short or petite people. I gave up.

Several cookiing mags have also gone down entirely...

Now back to the horsey stuff, I just buy individual issues now when I see a couple of articles that I find applicable to me.

Dogsandponies
Nov. 7, 2011, 10:55 PM
So, I have read many posts harping on DT but what is the alternative? Is there a better dressage magazine out there?

Lateralwork
Nov. 8, 2011, 12:04 AM
USDF Connection is pretty decent - I enjoy it more than DT anyway, and much more than I used to. I enjoy Warmbloods Today a lot. There have been some great articles on conformation, and on challenges real people and horses have overcome. DT's focus on the rich, the famous and the young is a boring turnoff.

js
Nov. 11, 2011, 02:39 PM
So, I have read many posts harping on DT but what is the alternative? Is there a better dressage magazine out there?

I used to get a great dressage magazine from the UK. I'm not sure if its around anymore. It didn't have a lot to it but what it did have was really good. I think it was just called "Dressage". Was really pricey to get it sent to the US though. Otherwise I don't know of any unfortunately.