PDA

View Full Version : FEI MEETING

gold2012
Jul. 29, 2011, 01:40 AM
So the FEI is holding four meetings to discuss where eventing is headed. Hmph. What rules need changed, qualifications are going to be. Double Hmph. Funny, won't be held here in U.S. Where riders might actually get to go, and be heard. No, lets have it in Mexico. Hold on while I go book a flight. Not.

I think it should be titled "FEI finds way to play favorites without being so obvious" meeting. It just ticks me. They are so the reason for the other thread about Voldemort, or he who shall not be named. THEY are the ones who have had such a huge impact on our sport.

So....what, if anything, will change ya think? I am not holding breath for anything good to come of it.

What would you LIKE to see? I am all for the dressage co-efficient to go AWAY!!

Eventer90210
Jul. 29, 2011, 03:33 AM
I'm too young to have actually experienced it, but I would love to have the original long-format come back. Well, the long format that was used before we switched to short format.

I realize however, that's a bit unreasonable since there aren't enough wealthy individuals willing to buy land in order for the (relatively) small percentage of horse people to be happy.

I agree with you and think that the dressage coefficient should go away. The purpose of the dressage (as I've been taught) was to give your horse the skills neccessary to navigate the XC and SJ courses. The ability to lengthen and shorten, the ability to move laterally, the ability to focus on what the rider is asking.

To me, this doesn't mean that you have to have a very fancy moving horse. As long as your horse is trained enough to respond to lengthening/shortening and lateral movement cues, that should be enough. Well, your horse obviously needs good, correct gaits to begin with, but correct gaits doesn't equal flashy gaits.

I think a lot of people would be happy is the coefficient went away. I understand the importance of dressage. However, winning the dressage should not be what wins you the competition. IMHO.

Sorry I wrote a novel! :lol:

deltawave
Jul. 29, 2011, 07:54 AM
Well, the Pan Am games are in Mexico.

And shockingly, most of the world's eventing population does not reside in the USA.

My sport is not the FEI sport. It has not real impact on my life.

Eventer90210
Jul. 29, 2011, 08:15 AM

And shockingly, most of the world's eventing population does not reside in the USA.

This is very true. Silly me didn't even connect that the FEI does not mean US only. Guess that's what I get for posting when I'm half asleep!

Since I'm pretty sure I won't make it to the FEI levels, I'm with deltawave.

If I do by some turn of events, I might reconsider.

Phaxxton
Jul. 29, 2011, 08:32 AM
So the FEI is holding four meetings to discuss where eventing is headed. Hmph. What rules need changed, qualifications are going to be. Double Hmph. Funny, won't be held here in U.S. Where riders might actually get to go, and be heard. No, lets have it in Mexico. Hold on while I go book a flight. Not.

Um, do you know what FEI stands for? :lol: Here is a hint - it includes the word International. ;) (Am saying this in a light tone - not trying to be obnoxious or catty.)

That said, I don't know why they should have to hold FEI meetings in the US...

Napoles
Jul. 29, 2011, 09:02 AM
Well Mexico is still more accessible to those living in the US, than those of us living in Europe.
I was under the impression that official meetings were moved around, so as to accommodate all?

vineyridge
Jul. 29, 2011, 09:08 AM
They have also scheduled a similar meeting for the European Championships at Luhmuhlen along with the Pan Am Games this summer. I guess they figure the big international figures in the Americas and in Europe will be at one or the other of these. Saves travel and gets most of the big players in one spot. They may also have one scheduled for Australia, but I honestly can't remember.

Where is the 4th meeting?

Napoles
Jul. 29, 2011, 09:10 AM
They have also scheduled a similar meeting for the European Championships at Luhmuhlen along with the Pan Am Games this summer. I guess they figure the big international figures in the Americas and in Europe will be at one or the other of these. ?

Makes absolute sense to me..

fooler
Jul. 29, 2011, 11:05 AM

The USEA is a member of USEF and the USEF is a member of FEI. Stated in the USEF/USEA Eventing rule book:
EV101 - Introduction
3. CIRCUMSTANCES NOT COVERED IN THESE RULES.
a. For any circumstances not specifically covered in these rules, reference should be made to one of the following publications of the FEI:
(1) Rules for Three-Day Events
(2) Rules for Dressage Events
(3) Rules for Jumping Events

So decisions made by the FEI does affect anyone in any country who competes at a recognized Event.

We can run "National" competitions, such as the proposed CCN 1*-3* LF competitions. However one major problem for some people is that "National" competitions do not count as qualifiers for FEI recognized competitions such as World Championships, Pam Ams, Olympics, etc.

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 29, 2011, 11:22 AM
They have also scheduled a similar meeting for the European Championships at Luhmuhlen along with the Pan Am Games this summer. I guess they figure the big international figures in the Americas and in Europe will be at one or the other of these. Saves travel and gets most of the big players in one spot. They may also have one scheduled for Australia, but I honestly can't remember.

Where is the 4th meeting?

Although in all honestly...with today's technologies....it is pretty darn easy to hold a meeting with participants from around the world AT the same time (and seeing each other). We do it daily at my office.

Napoles
Jul. 29, 2011, 11:30 AM
Although in all honestly...with today's technologies....it is pretty darn easy to hold a meeting with participants from around the world AT the same time (and seeing each other). We do it daily at my office.

They do that already. A friend is one of the Chairs of the FEI and they have regular conference calls with members from all over the world. :yes: Only tricky bit is the time differences. :D

JER
Jul. 29, 2011, 11:56 AM
I posted about this a while back here (http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5706653#post5706653).

The FEI had all the info for individual submissions and input in this document (http://www.fei.org/sites/default/files/file/ABOUT%20FEI/FEI_Update_NF_LO/17June2011/FEI_UPDATE_17June2011_Consultation_process_for_201 3_Eventing_Rules_revision.pdf).

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 29, 2011, 12:09 PM
They do that already. A friend is one of the Chairs of the FEI and they have regular conference calls with members from all over the world. :yes: Only tricky bit is the time differences. :D

I figured so much....I've had to be on a few 2 am ones myself!

And an in-person is always has its benefits too.;)

vineyridge
Jul. 29, 2011, 01:09 PM
This way, they'll not only get the bosses of many of the teams and the administrators, but they'll have more riders involved if they are really going to have forums.

ltmac
Jul. 29, 2011, 01:13 PM
I'm too young to have actually experienced it, but I would love to have the original long-format come back. Well, the long format that was used before we switched to short format.

I realize however, that's a bit unreasonable since there aren't enough wealthy individuals willing to buy land in order for the (relatively) small percentage of horse people to be happy.

I agree with you and think that the dressage coefficient should go away. The purpose of the dressage (as I've been taught) was to give your horse the skills neccessary to navigate the XC and SJ courses. The ability to lengthen and shorten, the ability to move laterally, the ability to focus on what the rider is asking.

To me, this doesn't mean that you have to have a very fancy moving horse. As long as your horse is trained enough to respond to lengthening/shortening and lateral movement cues, that should be enough. Well, your horse obviously needs good, correct gaits to begin with, but correct gaits doesn't equal flashy gaits.

I think a lot of people would be happy is the coefficient went away. I understand the importance of dressage. However, winning the dressage should not be what wins you the competition. IMHO.

Sorry I wrote a novel! :lol:

Absolutely agree!!