PDA

View Full Version : Dressage coat color/design question

GingerJumper
Jul. 28, 2011, 10:08 PM
Calling all eventer fashionistas!

So, being from the generally not-so-conservative world of jumpers, I really have no idea what's tolerated in eventing dressage.

Mom and I are custom making my dressage coat (she's a brilliant seamstress, no lie), and as I'm not too keen on black, I was wondering what else is legal. I know navy is, but even navy just seems a little blah.

I was thinking dark grey with a black collar and an interesting lining (a bright but non-offensive color, like an aqua or something). Is that OK or a little too out there? If that is, then are there any colors other than black or navy that are legal?

If black or navy are the only acceptable colors... what do you think would be an acceptable way to spruce it up a little? Piping, contrast collar, linings, etc...

baxtersmom
Jul. 28, 2011, 11:22 PM
Any "dark" color is acceptable in the rules. Most people do black or navy but I have a gorgeous maroon Pikeur that always got compliments on my black horse; only retired it b/c it was heavy wool and too hot to wear most of the season. Gray is gorgeous on the right horse. DO IT! <- enables

I am currently coveting a black coat with pink (!) velvet collar that I saw on eBay UK. Would also love the espresso colored Pikeur for this time of year when black poneh is weird light brown bleached poneh. My dream is for a much darker plum-black coat but haven't found one yet.

(Yes, I like clothes too much.)

mg
Jul. 28, 2011, 11:55 PM
Well you have a couple questions in there..."legal" vs "tolerated' ;) Eventers as a whole really don't care what you're wearing, so I wouldn't worry about the "tolerated." As far as legality, EV114, part 5:

DRESSAGE TEST.
a. Horse Trials (Beginner Novice through Preliminary)—protective headgear—predominantly
black or dark blue; Coat—dark color or tweed, tail coats are not permitted;
Shirt—white or light color, with stock and pin, or choker, or tie; Gloves (if worn)—dark
color, tan, beige or white; Jodhpurs, Britches—light color or white; Boots—black, brown,
field, jodhpur or a black or brown full grain smooth leather leg piece and matching
leather boots. Chaps and/or half-chaps are not allowed.

I think a dark/charcoal shade of gray would look very nice. I have a brown jacket I'd love to wear in dressage, but I'd want to wear a brown helmet with it and they're not legal :(

GingerJumper
Jul. 29, 2011, 04:32 AM
Thanks for the enabling ;)

I think I'm going with a nice dark grey or maaaaaaybe a dark brown. Gotta decide what looks best with the horse once he darkens up... He's pretty bleached right now (bright bay, as opposed to how he's supposed to be, with is dark bay or brown lol). I'm kinda leaning towards the charcoal since it'd just look better on me than the brown, and (in the likely event I end up with ANOTHER horse), grey is pretty hard to look bad with.

Now that the velvet collar has been brought up I might just have to do a velvet collar... probably doing black since that's a little more classic, but I'm definitely thinking bright aqua for the lining.

Who knew coat designing could be so much fun... and who knew custom could be SO cheap! Even with nice fabric and nice lining, it's still going to be less than what decent coats in my size would be. And it'll be a perfect fit, instead of a decent sorta-kinda fit. Pretty stoked about it :)

Napoles
Jul. 29, 2011, 04:50 AM
The dark grey sounds lovely. :yes: Would also look fab with a bright pink lining. I know a girl with a gorgeous, really tailored dark brown tweed jacket and it has a dark pink lining. She pairs the whole thing with gorgeous brown leather boots. It looks fab! :)

Interesting re the rule quoted.. "Gloves (if worn)."
Here, you are eliminated if you don't wear gloves in your dressage test.

horsecents
Jul. 29, 2011, 07:06 AM
I just ordered a Cavallo Galathea in navy with navy velvet collar and velvet piping on pockets. It's the new short style with a traditional cut. Should look great with my midnight blue CO AYR8 helmet. I think a dark color with a subtle pattern would look outstanding.

whicker
Jul. 29, 2011, 07:51 AM
Take a look at the gray coat and helmet that Boyd wears. I saw it in person, and it is much lighter in color and fabric than usual. The gray is similar to the gray on the IRH vented helmet.

Let us know if your Mom wants to practice her art for the rest of us!:winkgrin::)

cllane1
Jul. 29, 2011, 08:41 AM
Micahel Pollard wears a gorgeous grey coat. It's actually pretty light, with darker grey trim, but I imagine he might be able to get away with more than we amateurs could in terms of color.

A dark grey with a velvet collar or some kind of colored piping would look snazzy.

I actually found a show coat I love and that fits my scarecrow body this spring, so I'm no longer as susceptible to coat envy.

GingerJumper
Jul. 29, 2011, 09:18 AM
Let us know if your Mom wants to practice her art for the rest of us!:winkgrin::)

Haha, I will! She's also making the rest of my dressage pads and quarter sheets as well, hehe.

IFG
Jul. 29, 2011, 09:24 AM
I have navy. I think that it looks awesome with buff breeches and a navy hat on a bay.

horsecents
Jul. 29, 2011, 09:40 AM
I agree with IFG :D

GingerJumper
Jul. 29, 2011, 09:44 AM
I have navy. I think that it looks awesome with buff breeches and a navy hat on a bay.

It's between grey and navy, I think. Weighing a bit more in favor of the grey, simply because all my helmets are black, and I think it'd kill me inside a little to wear black with navy.... although, that could be a very good excuse to add another helmet... :lol:

IFG
Jul. 29, 2011, 10:08 AM
It's between grey and navy, I think. Weighing a bit more in favor of the grey, simply because all my helmets are black, and I think it'd kill me inside a little to wear black with navy.... although, that could be a very good excuse to add another helmet... :lol:

Truth be told, though I coveted a velvet navy helmet, I made due with a navy cover on my skull cap.