PDA

View Full Version : Help me out! Finding a PA event barn

northgranite
Jul. 28, 2011, 09:23 PM
Hey guys!

I need a little help finding an eventing barn or trainer in central PA. I'm going to be a senior at Bucknell University (ugh, giving out personal details on the internet...) this fall and for the first time, might be bringing a horse to school with me. I've been riding on the equitation team during the school year until now, but the board there is a bit expensive for my poor-college-kid budget. Plus, as I'm an eventer, I'd love to find a barn that would further my eventing riding while I'm at school...

So I thought I'd ask the pros :) I've looked in vain on and off over the past few years for a barn near Bucknell with any kind of eventing lessons with no success. I've also searched the USEA website trying to find event barns, but it seems Bucknell falls in sort of a "dead zone" between area VIII and area II. I was wondering if anyone knew of any sort of eventing link in the area - Bucknell is in Lewisburg PA, zip code 17837, and quite literally directly in the center of the state. Even a dressage trainer would be great!

Thanks so much you guys - I really appreciate any and all help.

sorabird
Jul. 28, 2011, 11:39 PM
Hi,

Good luck with that! I have been able to find some good dressage trainers, but no eventing barns. We need to get some eventers together and create one or something... There is one up in the Northern Tier area (Susquehanna County) but it would be too far for you, its too far for me. I'm not that framilar with that far out, but will ask around for you.

MightyBobbyMagee
Jul. 29, 2011, 07:52 AM
Walnut Hollow Farm in Sunbury. I can't afford it myself, but I would loooove to board there! Welcome to the neighborhood. I live in Danville. :D

oldpony66
Jul. 29, 2011, 09:56 AM
Second Walnut Hollow. Not fancy, but very laid back, not super expensive. There's a small/dusty indoor for winter riding, a regular outdoor, but no xc fences. There are trails as well as excellent hills for conditioning. My daughter rides there (the owner is our Pony Club DC), we keep ours at home but we trailer in for lessons. They do have a website that is terribly out of date ...but give them a call: 570-286-5169 is Diane's number. Leave a message, she doesn't have a phone in the barn but she'll get back to you.

You're absolutely right about the "dead zone" in the middle here! The closest events are 2-3 hours away, in any direction, and any type of cross-country schooling is a drive. We just had five riders at an event this weekend so trailer-pooling is often available.

northgranite
Jul. 29, 2011, 10:02 AM
You guys are WONDERFUL - thanks so much! I'll give Diane a call today and see if she has space open :)

oldpony66
Jul. 29, 2011, 02:10 PM
let me know if it all works out!