PDA

View Full Version : "carport" or hoops sheds and wind

Kaytaz86
Jul. 28, 2011, 06:15 PM
I live in windy WY and am considering putting up something like this: http://www.shelterlogic.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductId=638aa906-dba6-4c25-8869-9df80095b3de&CategoryName=Equine as a run-in shed. Does anyone have experience, good or bad, with them in wind? My Mom has one, but she lives in VT and the wind is no where near as bad. I'm fairly certain I can anchor it down, but I'm concerned the wind will just shred it.
Thoughts appreciated!

fivehorses
Jul. 28, 2011, 09:43 PM
I have one of those, but don't use it for the horses, but for equipment storage, etc.
I have mine staked down with t posts, and then tie those to the legs of the tent.

I think they get very hot in summer, and don't do anything in winter, except keep the snow out of my truck bed! which means one less task for me, so I am thankful for it.

I would not use it for horses for the following reasons.
in summer, it would get too hot for them and they would not go in
in rainy weather, it gets very damp in there
in winter, its cold, windy, flaps blow, etc. I think a horse would grow accustom to the blowing flaps and noise, but it still doesn't provide them with any warmth. In fact, because it is a tent, it does seem to hold in mositure. That is not something you want for the horses' respiratory.

Shelter for horses, especially free choice shelter has to do that...provide shelter.
I can't imagine my horses choosing to go in the tent, it does not provide them shelter, even though its under cover.
I live in NH, and on a hill, so I can get some good wind. It did blow off the 'foundation' until I put in the t posts.

katyb
Jul. 28, 2011, 10:10 PM
My horses have a typical metal carport as a run-in. They love it - use it way more than any 3-sided wood shed or barn they've had in the past. We have some pretty good winds here (60-70 mph) w/ storms, and ours hasn't ever moved (knocking wood). The tent type costs about as much and looks flimsy to me, so what would the advantage be?

Kaytaz86
Jul. 29, 2011, 08:40 AM
KatyB-
That is an interesting question...do you have a picture of yours? I guess I sort of thought the metal ones might be louder and was concerned about sharp edges, but maybe this is not the case?

Kaytaz86
Jul. 29, 2011, 08:44 AM
Five horses-
Interesting to hear you say they heat up- the ones I've dealt with never did...as far as rain and moisture, it's WY, so we really don't have to deal with that issue at least. What brand is yours? Perhaps I should stay away from that type. Thanks!

fivehorses
Jul. 29, 2011, 10:31 AM
shelter logic.

I have seen the kind of run in that katyb mentions, and I have seen people make sides on them, actually someone made a barn out of one...with wood.

I think its shawnee acres who also has a barn made out of the carport types.

You'd have to check snowload, but I know in NH people use the carports.

You could check out carolina carports for ideas.

I would not use a tent like for animals, I would use the carolina carport types.

katyb
Jul. 31, 2011, 09:17 AM
KatyB-
That is an interesting question...do you have a picture of yours? I guess I sort of thought the metal ones might be louder and was concerned about sharp edges, but maybe this is not the case?

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh259/jetandpolly/010309006.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh259/jetandpolly/121309015.jpg

I didn't plan for it to be permanent; we moved into a foreclosed property that needed a LOT done (no fence, lots of stuff in the house, etc), in November, so I just wanted to be able to get them out of any freezing rain/snow while we planned for something else. It turned out that the horses like it so well, I quit worrying about anything else. There aren't any sharp edges, but I definitely wouldn't use one with horses who don't get along really well. It is loud in there when it rains, but the horses don't seem to care at all. I put hay in there, and it stays dry and nice. I thought about adding a wind break, but they like it so well, I hate to mess with it.

quicksilverponies
Jul. 31, 2011, 10:20 AM
I have had 3 of these that we use for run ins for the past 8 years. We are in the snow belt of NE Ohio with heavy snow fall and very strong winds. Mine are anchored and have never blown away. Over time the covers have become worn and developed small holes so we have replaced them - this occurs about every 3 to 4 yrs. We turn them with the side blocking the wind and leave both ends open so the ponies can go all the way through them. They work great in the winter keeping the snow and wind off of the ponies - we even feed round bales in them. In the summer they do tend to get a bit hot, but ponies will stand just inside the end to get in the shade. I have been pleased with them as an inexpensive, quick and non permanent way to provide shelter. Of course, I prefer my permanent sheds, but we lease a couple of fields and wanted something for them that could be removed easily.

fivehorses
Jul. 31, 2011, 11:06 AM
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh259/jetandpolly/121309015.jpg

this is what I have seen used frequently as run ins...and with wood down the sides, the wood is placed paralal to the ground, and at the top is left a spacer to allow air flow.
Very inexpensive for a somewhat permanent structure.

wildlifer
Jul. 31, 2011, 02:05 PM
My neighbour used one for a garage. It blew over all the time and was very hot. I wouldn't recommend it for horses.

nightsong
Aug. 1, 2011, 02:34 AM
No. Plain ol' wood. It's permanent, insulating, QUIET (so horses can get sleep).

Kaytaz86
Aug. 1, 2011, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the thoughts, guys!
I would rather build a wood structure, but #1, wood is waaay spendy out here right now, #2, I don't own the land, #3, I'm also trying to come up with a cheap option for a friend who is going thru some tough times rights now (I board my horse with her- she has 2 of her own.)
I'm hoping to find a reasonable compromise, costwise. Plus, we do have the barn if it's really icky, I just want them to have access to something while we are at work.