PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP !!!! Live near Albany, NY been all over New England

Tamerat688
Jul. 28, 2011, 12:17 PM
Okay, so I am getting super frustrated with trying to find a place to further my instruction. I have been all over New England interviewing for working student positions most not offering what I was looking for, but in reality I need to work (I teach in a classroom at a school so by work I don't mean student worker). I am super interested in eventing you could call me beginner to the riding part, but not to the actual horse part. I have already contacted larkin hill and she doesn't have a horse I can use because I am a beginner. The ablity to barter work for some lessons would be great. I have been riding for a while, but I really need a solid foundation. I have moved from barn to barn since graduating college and moving around. If you know anywhere that will at least provide a decent school horse, reasonable rates, and good instruction I would be happy to hear about it. Other cities and towns near by are Pittsfield, MA, Troy, NY, Nassau (the village of, not the county) Visher Ferry/Cresent, Colonie, Guilderland ect. Specifically looking for eventing. This seems to be a hunter/jumper and dressage world, but I want eventing. Any help at all would be greatly welcome. LOOKING FOR LESSONS NOT FOR STUDENT WORK THANKS

Tamerat688
Jul. 28, 2011, 12:25 PM
oh and is 23 too old to start?

GingerJumper
Jul. 28, 2011, 01:04 PM
Hi!

I'm not in your area so not much help there, but I can offer a little advice. It's going to be really hard to get a working student position without a fair bit of riding experience. In my area, most people looking for working students want them to have evented to at least training level.

Try taking some lessons from a local trainer. It's really hard to make up your mind about what you want to do in riding unless you've actually ridden a fair amount (I wanted to be pro barrel racer when I was little. I ended up doing the jumpers, and now I'm eventing. :lol: ) Have the trainer evaluate your horse skills and such. It's possible that (and I am NOT trying to judge your experience or anything, please don't take it that way) that you feel your skills around horses are sufficient, when to these trainers and barns, they're not.

Without the riding experience, it's pretty hard to find a working student position. The standard for eventers in my area is at least Training level eventing, unless you are just wicked good and haven't competed much.

Best of luck to you! Hopefully someone on here knows more about your area and can give you more specific help.

Tamerat688
Jul. 28, 2011, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the info, but I didn't necessarily mean working student, but work like substitue teach or something... sorry I should have specified.

Tamerat688
Jul. 28, 2011, 01:17 PM
there we go edited ... : )

GingerJumper
Jul. 28, 2011, 01:21 PM
Gotcha... If you don't have much riding experience yourself, then I seriously doubt anyone would let you substitute teach yet. I didn't teach until after I'd been riding for 12 years. (partly due to age, I'm still a junior, but a lot of it was because I needed all that experience). Again, best of luck to you :)

Tamerat688
Jul. 28, 2011, 01:44 PM
I'm a special ed teacher in a classroom...

GingerJumper
Jul. 28, 2011, 01:48 PM
I'm a special ed teacher in a classroom...

That would help you for teaching skills, but not necessarily the skills being taught. I'm naturally a pretty articulate teacher in person, but I didn't have the riding skills I needed to teach. Have you looked at summer camps and such? Kinda late now, but you could still talk to some of them and see what kind of riding experience levels they want, and if they wanted someone to do horse management teaching, since it sounds like you're familiar with horse care/management. I did that for a little while (through a local barn and a little through my pony club) and it was SO much fun!

SaturdayNightLive
Jul. 28, 2011, 01:54 PM
That would help you for teaching skills, but not necessarily the skills being taught. I'm naturally a pretty articulate teacher in person, but I didn't have the riding skills I needed to teach. Have you looked at summer camps and such? Kinda late now, but you could still talk to some of them and see what kind of riding experience levels they want, and if they wanted someone to do horse management teaching, since it sounds like you're familiar with horse care/management. I did that for a little while (through a local barn and a little through my pony club) and it was SO much fun!

I think she means she needs to be able to find a real job (as a teacher) in the same area as her lessons, not that she wants to teach riding lessons. The OP is pretty confusing though, particularly the use of "student worker" which us industry types tend to think means "working student", while a beginner or newbie might mean something completely different.

GingerJumper
Jul. 28, 2011, 02:03 PM
I think she means she needs to be able to find a real job (as a teacher) in the same area as her lessons, not that she wants to teach riding lessons. The OP is pretty confusing though, particularly the use of "student worker" which us industry types tend to think means "working student", while a beginner or newbie might mean something completely different.

That makes more sense... My comprehension right now is also not the highest, having just started ADHD meds... Thinking clearly is a whole new world! :lol:

Tazzie
Jul. 28, 2011, 03:08 PM
I don't have any suggestions, just wanted to say that it's never too late to start!

MightyBobbyMagee
Jul. 28, 2011, 03:10 PM
Sent you a PM. :)

Tamerat688
Jul. 28, 2011, 03:26 PM
Yes that is what I meant not looking for working student (there we go) looking for lessons where I am teaching and thanks for the PM!

RiverBendPol
Jul. 28, 2011, 03:35 PM
Can you get to Kent, CT? Mike Page is based there (the Kent School) and I *THINK* has school horses available.......

EmmyTheHemi
Jul. 28, 2011, 07:13 PM
Hi, there! Where are you living in Albany?

Chestnut Ridge in Cambridge hosts Pony Club sessions; don't know what they have for beginner lesson horses. I believe Leslie Stanton in Chatham might also have a program -- PCers and field hunting types hang out there.

I don't mean to be snarky, Tamerat688, but I don't get a sense of your riding level. A dedicated eventing facility like Larkin Hill may not be of benefit until saddle skills have that "solid foundation" you mentioned?

Have you contacted Mel Suits at Railside Farm in Guilderland? Not sure what she has for lesson horses, or if work-for-lessons arrangements are available, but she is a wonderful teacher. She tends mostly to dressage these days but she and some of her students have evented. If you are serious about eventing basics, good dressage is a place to start. Ask me how I had to learn that the hard way. :winkgrin:

Folks (eventing/foxhunting types) I know who have lessoned at Three Winds Farm (h/j) in Averill Park recommend them as well.

Tamerat688
Jul. 28, 2011, 09:30 PM
Thanks for your suggestions I will totally give them a try!

All of you have been very helpful!

Far_North_Equestrian
Jul. 29, 2011, 02:17 PM
Take a look on Google for Boldventure Farms, which is run by Heather Kelly - she leases a part of Cogi Farms, an absolutely droolworthy establishment somewhat near Carmel NY. I took a couple lessons from Heather last year on her school horses, she's an eventer but also does some H/J stuff.

Wheel Whip
Jul. 29, 2011, 02:46 PM
That is our neck of the woods and I'm very familiar with all of the names mentioned. Leslie Stanton in Malden Bridge has active eventers in her barn (including her grown daughter and some of my Pony Club) and more importantly has appropriate schoolies. She is also very adult beginner friendly. There is a real lack of good school horses in this area. Three Winds in Averill Park has some appropriate horses but leans towards the jumpers (though Betsy gives a GREAT lesson. PM if you want more info and the places to avoid