PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about your schedule and time managment.

manentail
Jul. 28, 2011, 11:45 AM
Ok, I am working the farm by myself now, DH has a job, and when he isn't working he is fixing fences or things horses have destroyed.
My day starts at 8 a.m. while my 2 yr old daughter is still asleep, feed horses (takes roughly 1 hr, 24 horses). From the time I'm done until time to rotate the turnout at 1 p.m. daughter has woken, I am making phone calls, paying bills, running errands, caring for house pets, and taking care of housework. After I swap turnout at 1, I feed lunch, roughly 1/2 hr job. Then I clean, (or try to clean) 14 stalls. At 6 p.m., no matter what I have done, it's time to feed dinner and swap turnout one more time. When that's done (around 8pm), I fix dinner and relax before it's time to bring all the horses in for the night. Usually get to bed by 10 p.m. provided I don't need to finish any stalls after dinner.
Generally I have found the horses get aggravated when I'm out past a certain time bothering them.

I would love to hear other peoples routines, maybe there is some way I can improve, maybe find time to do other things I want, like build the jumps I want, or work on my horse trailer, or even... :lol:RIDE!:lol:

Trevelyan96
Jul. 28, 2011, 11:51 AM
It seems that a good bulk of your time is eaten up with swapping the turnout. Is there a way you can do them in bigger groups for longer shifts? Maybe one group out during the day and the other out at night?

I'd also see if you can get a working student in to help with stall cleaning and feeding.

MunchkinsMom
Jul. 28, 2011, 11:56 AM
All I can say is WOW - I cannot imagine trying to manage 24 horses on my own without help. Trevelyan had some good ideas, and hopefully other folks that are managing larger farms will chime in.

Nes
Jul. 28, 2011, 12:07 PM
hmmm I'll play :).

My guys get up around 8:30/8am too! (Both under 3.5) which is awesome!

Breakfast, try to get to the barn before 8:30
Chickens go out, goats go out, feed/fly-spray my mare who is living out. Feed the dogs.

Go do house chores/play with kids/barn repair stuff rest of the day/ go on COTH for more time they I should...

7pm, Chickens go back in, goats in and fed, feed cows, feed mare/more fly spray. Feed the dogs & cats.

Sounds like we're leading pretty different days!

I think your going to have to look at your management practices. When was working (similar sized barn) it took 3 hours in the winter to do 12-13 stalls very thoroughly for horses that were out from 4 to 6 hours at day. Only a couple of those stalls had mats, wheel-barrowing out the poop and that includes scrubbing water buckets.

Swapping turnout is the biggest PITA out there, it takes forever and you're not really accomplishing anything. Are you doing it so often for different turn-out schedules? The only answer to that may be more paddock space :S

colorfan
Jul. 28, 2011, 12:35 PM
Who is riding the horses? I am wondering why you have to stable so many horses?

If you have someone else riding the horses perhaps they could clean the stall of the horse they ride?

If the horses aren't being ridden is it nec to stall them?

I have found I can be busy all day every day cleaning, repairing, housework etc, all day every day, oh did I mention that??
Truly, there is no such thing as 'catching up' there is a never ending supply of things that must be done, should be done and the not touched list of 'it would be nice to have done' list.'

What I have to do is pick a day that I will do a project that is important, (important to me)like build jumps.
Do some prep work, buy supplies, get a workable design, locate a saw and make sure it has a blade hehe, possible line up a babysitter for an afternoon.
Premake a casserole for supper and if possible get a friend to come and help, she can make some of her own.
I have made jumps like this and found that having someone else around can make cutting etc easier thus faster.

Then when the chosen day comes just get at it. Do bare bones whatever else has to be done and enjoy your project day.

Nes
Jul. 28, 2011, 01:51 PM
Specifically jump building is usually something boarders love to help with!

PaintPony
Jul. 28, 2011, 02:14 PM
Can you start earlier? Like 6:30 or 7?

That's what most people that I know do.

Belg
Jul. 28, 2011, 02:28 PM
This hits home. wish I had some helpful advice. I don't. I'm the DH with the day job, and when I get home, I.... you can fill in the rest, you already have :=)

fivehorses
Jul. 28, 2011, 09:50 PM
24 horses in stalls is a ton of work for one person. Actually, too much.
I am impressed you get done what you do.

What about building run ins and have separate turnouts so that you aren't doing so much turnout switching?

Also, stalls is a very labor intensive part of horse ownership.
All my horses have stalls, and are stalled part of the day(night), but I also have help daily with mucking stalls. If I didn't have help, I'd seriously have to consider some other arrangement. Its too much time and labor, and I am not as young as you, but still, time it takes is huge.

shakeytails
Jul. 28, 2011, 10:52 PM
Heck, I'd leave as many as possible out overnight- it saves on stall cleaning. I don't pick poop out of paddocks/pastures- the bush hog does a dandy job on any piles that the dung beetles don't take care of, and if I was really worried about it, I could hook up my redneck chain-link drag.