PDA

View Full Version : Houston, we have Leg Yield!

Heliodoro
Jul. 28, 2011, 09:03 AM
Had to share my awesome results of my dressage lesson yesterday!

My horse is a downhill mover, this is/has been our biggest issue. Been told for years and years, "leg yielding will help him really reach under himself." I keep working on it and being the perfectionist I am, never actually moved it out of the walk as I felt it "wasn't good enough." Clinician yesterday was like "why not just try it at the trot?" OK... wow, it was awesome! Started out a little stiff, then she had me really give up the inside rein and it became oh so much better!! At first I thought all he was doing was evading/moving faster, but once I concentrated on the tempo the movement just got oh so much bigger!

Then we worked on incorporating it into up and down transitions from trot-canter and canter-trot, which I have done way in the past, just never put the pieces together with this horse (sometimes I AM that slow!). Again, much improved transitions that force him to sit back instead of fall on his face.

Definitely bringing this instructor back for more!

Reiter
Jul. 28, 2011, 10:25 AM
Yes, sometimes we just need someone to push us! Don't be afraid to play around with your horse and practice things that seem above you. You might be surprised what you can do! ;)

esdressage
Jul. 28, 2011, 12:02 PM
Congrats on the *AHHHAAAAHHHH* moments! Those are what make this sport so rewarding (if only they would happen more often, lol) :D

colorfan
Jul. 28, 2011, 12:16 PM
Great! Its an awesome feeling hey?