PDA

View Full Version : Deciding on a farm name?

apachepony
Jul. 27, 2011, 09:41 PM
How did you decide on your farm name?

We don't really have any distinguishing landscape features (old oaks farm), no common last name (smith ranch), no business with the horses (akele teke acres). We do have a number of other species, and plan to eventually try our hand at breeding, but don't want to pigeon hole ourselves into naming after a certain animal. The only particularly defining feature is that the house was built in 1890.

We have only come up with two names so far:

"In Theory Farm", because when we were buying the farm, everything was so tenuous. Everything was "can we do this?" or "will this happen?", "...in theory". Now that we have the farm bought and built, it seems a little outdated and negative (though it was meant to be funny).

The other is a combination of our names (Rachel and Lindsey) as "Raelyn Farm". We like the more vague name, that could cover either the farm or any of the animals, but we're worried about the sound of it since we live in the south. While it's attractive on paper, out loud, it comes out as railin' (aka, porch railing).

Thoughts on these names, or ideas on how to come up with another?

Tom King
Jul. 27, 2011, 10:19 PM
We gave up long ago, but we've only been here for 31 years. Everyone just calls it "Tom and Pam's".

VCT
Jul. 27, 2011, 11:05 PM
My street is Hogback Road.... and my farm is flat by the road but then much of it slopes down to a creek and then back up. So I named it Hogback Hill Farm. Hogback is geographical term for a type of ridge.

Nes
Jul. 27, 2011, 11:22 PM
Apparently our place got nicked named the "John Deere" house for the horrid colour someone painted it... (thankfully it has not been muted, apparently they don't make vinyl siding in banana yellow...)

We're having the same discussion :) No ideas yet!

UrbanHennery
Jul. 28, 2011, 12:29 AM
Ours is 14 Mile Farm. It's 14 miles from our old I-5 exit to our new one and some previous owner left an old Forest Service "14 mi" sign nailed up in the garage.

TheJenners
Jul. 28, 2011, 04:24 AM
Whatever you come up with, Google it first. :yes:

tle
Jul. 28, 2011, 09:35 AM
Take a couple scifi geeks who adore Joss Whedon and his short lived but fantastic tv show, "Firefly"... add farm and you get....

Serenity Valley Farm
:D

Nes
Jul. 28, 2011, 10:21 AM
Whatever you come up with, Google it first. :yes:

:lol:

Galadriël Fëfalas
Jul. 28, 2011, 02:59 PM
Take a couple scifi geeks who adore Joss Whedon and his short lived but fantastic tv show, "Firefly"... add farm and you get....

Serenity Valley Farm

I thoroughly approve of this!! :D

sam1979
Jul. 28, 2011, 06:05 PM
I named my farm after a wonderful horse I had as teenager. I lost him to EPM my sr year of high school ( he was only 9 and doing really well at prelim). I always wanted to have a place of my own and I always pictured him enjoying retirement in my backyard. So even though he is no longer with me he is still part of my dream.

Rain's Field Farm

juby2be
Jul. 28, 2011, 07:59 PM
How about just Lynrae Farm? (Unless Racheal has some HORRIBLE aversion to her name being last?!)

msj
Jul. 28, 2011, 08:09 PM
I named after the horse that I bought it for so I had a place to bury him. His registered name (TB) was Martin's Dream so I named it Martinsfield Farm. After all the fields were for him. :)

Nezzy
Jul. 28, 2011, 11:46 PM
How about just Lynrae Farm? (Unless Racheal has some HORRIBLE aversion to her name being last?!)

i thought of this as well. Also wonder the road name your farm is on. It is always helpful to those looking for your farm.

Kryswyn
Jul. 29, 2011, 12:28 AM
My farm and now my kennel prefix is Kryswyn or to give it it's original spelling Kriswen. Yeah, short for Kristina and Wendy. Kris came up with the name (when she was 12) and really to humor her I suggested we use y's so it looked less like our names and looked more Welsh, since we were going to breed Welsh ponies. When my original farm name got shot down (turned out the 'hawks' I was seeing overhead were buzzards :eek: I thought 'Buzzard' Anything was a terrible name for a pony farm, so Kryswyn it became!

I like they way Raelyn sounds (up north ;) ) and I think you could get people to pronounce it properly with the judicious use of a hypen: Rae-Lyn. Of course if you use the last parts of your names, you get Chelsey :D

Other wise here are some other suggestions:

How big is your farm? 10 Acre Farm (or whatever it is)
Small? Postage Stamp Farm
Big? Holelatta Farm
Position? Northfield Farm, Southern Road Farm, Westwind Farm, GoEast Farm
Too Much Farm
Flowers on the property or state flower: Climbing Rose Farm, Tea Rose Farm, Dogwood Farm.
Topography: Pancake Farm, Pond View, Creekside.

Have fun. Be sure to let us know what you picked!

Mozart
Jul. 29, 2011, 02:08 AM
Struggling with this too. Our current little farmette is nameless but we are building a new barn and arena on 100 acres of beautiful prairie farm land.

It is on Briercliff Road and Briercliff Farm sounds nice but very close in name to a nearby farm.

I liked Blue Sky Farm for a time (since that is a prevalent feature...big open blue prairie sky) but I breed horses and if give them a suffix...."B.S" doesn't quite work for that...

There are about a million dragonflies hovering over at the moment...thought about "Dragonfly Farm" but that is ever so slightly.. airy fairy.

I really want to reference the region which is classic prairie farm land. Perhaps "Helluvalotofwork Farm" would be appropriate? :lol:

pepperw
Jul. 29, 2011, 03:32 PM
ours came from two of the areas we grew up in.. Greenwich Point Farms

GypsyQ
Jul. 29, 2011, 07:11 PM
Ours will be Gypsy Moon Farm.

My first horse was Gypsy (Gypsy Quick). There is a song by my favorite bluegrass band, The Seldom Scene, called Gypsy Moon.
I've been through a lot of barns for various reasons, always travelling like a gypsy. My husband moved across the country not knowing what he was looking for. We've all spent a lot of time looking for the place we belong, and here we are...

"'Til I find a place where I belong,
I'll live the lines of a lonely song.
I'll set my stride by a travelling tune.
On a road lit by a gypsy moon"

MunchkinsMom
Jul. 29, 2011, 10:50 PM
Our farm is named Round Tree farm, since we have a beautiful round live oak tree in the middle of the front yard.

Kryswyn
Jul. 29, 2011, 11:52 PM
TheJenners post struck a cord in my memory and I remember Raylyn Farms owned by Ray and Lyn Little and their daughter Marilyn. They're probably far enough away from you to not be in competition. ;)

The point about Googling stands :D

How about Aarenelle pronounced "R an L" :D :D

ayrabz
Jul. 30, 2011, 11:10 AM
Our little farmette will be named after a sweet mare of my youth "La Mora"...nothing to do with the togography, geography, area, street name, our names, etc, etc.... Just because of her memory and how beautiful I always thought her name was.

Now, I will say ? I've always loved 'farms' that are simply a name...nothing with 'Farms" or "Stable" or "Ranch" (etc) as part of the name.

Kinda like: " Tara "

:)

King's Ransom
Jul. 30, 2011, 01:04 PM
Our farm is named King's Ransom -- after my beloved horse King (reg. name is King Shimmer) ... because I had to ransom him out of a bad situation to get him -- and because he ransomed me out of a bad situation, too. And now that the whole place is full of horses, cats and people who have all been ransomed from one or another bad place, it seems to fit. Maybe it was karma.

Always wonder, Mr. King, who ransomed whom?

pony baloney
Jul. 31, 2011, 12:33 AM
I'll probably never have a farm of my own, but if I did it would be called Shoebox Farm, after all the Breyer horse stables I made out of old shoeboxes when I was little.

I agree with Googling it first, make sure it's easy to spell and pronounce and doesn't rhyme with anything vulgar. Will the initials make an unfortunate anagram?

Will you have a farm sign? If so, do you have the lettering chosen? See what your favorite names will look like in the colors you want. One might be more attractive to you than the others.

babyeventer23
Aug. 1, 2011, 09:49 AM
We started googling Greek words, because we wanted something meaningful and unique..only took a day to come up with ours!

GingerJumper
Aug. 1, 2011, 10:41 AM
Our farm is named King's Ransom -- after my beloved horse King (reg. name is King Shimmer) ... because I had to ransom him out of a bad situation to get him -- and because he ransomed me out of a bad situation, too. And now that the whole place is full of horses, cats and people who have all been ransomed from one or another bad place, it seems to fit. Maybe it was karma.

Always wonder, Mr. King, who ransomed whom?

I actually had a very similar story to that. I don't have a farm, but my friend decided I needed to name my eventing "team" since I have an assistant (who is paid in life lessons and horse wisdom, lol) and plan on someday having my own farm. Anyways, I decided on Another Shot Eventing... Not the best sounding name, but it fit. I thought I was giving my now-retired saint of a horse another shot when I got him, but really, I think he's the one who gave me another shot in the end. I gave my TB another shot when I bought him, and even after all he'd been through, he's giving life another shot now. My whole life has been made of getting another shot, giving another shot, and taking another shot, so it's sort of a tribute to everything I've been through and everything my horses have been through as well.

red mares
Aug. 1, 2011, 11:30 AM
This place was in southern Michigan, they may not be upset if you borrow it:

Oleo Acres - One of the Cheaper Spreads.

I just love their sign. It was one of the smaller facilities in the area. Does anyone remember what Oleo is though?

kaye
Aug. 1, 2011, 12:16 PM
LOL - Don't say "oleo" in Wisconsin :)

KnKShowmom
Aug. 1, 2011, 12:27 PM
When we were thinking of names, DD wanted to name our farm after her horse, which would have been King Haven Farm, but since we were only leasing him, we decided that wasn't a great idea.

So since our farm is on Horseshoe Bend and is tucked back away from the road, we went with Horseshoe Haven Farm, which in the long run has worked out well since we ended up doing rehabs and retirees.

OlmosHeaven
Aug. 1, 2011, 04:40 PM
We live in an old community called Olmos. It's still on the maps, but there's not much here, except for farms of varying sizes and a bar/grill a bit down the road. But Mr. OH came up with Olmos Heaven Farm and I really liked the play on words and that's how we're registered with the county.

I believe olmos is the Spanish word for elms and there are sandy elms around here, but we don't have any on our property.

Sonesta
Aug. 1, 2011, 04:51 PM
My friends have Macarn Farm. The name came from the first letters of "Mike And Caroline Are Really Nuts." LOL!

Robin@DHH
Aug. 1, 2011, 10:09 PM
I wanted to call our place Spotted Horse Dance Hall after
my DH's talented appy. DH said since we were in
Wisconsin, everyone would assume we were a bar.
We ended up with the name Dancing Horse Hill as
we are on the top of a hill.

I actually like the one word names; the grand old farms
of my area were names like Fortuna, Helvetia (the original
European village home of the owner), Berryhill, Longwood.
You didn't have to say anything more than the one word
and everyone knew where you meant.

bits619
Aug. 1, 2011, 11:46 PM

Serenity Valley Farm

Also a huge thumbs up here!! Good choice!

Struggling with this too. Our current little farmette is nameless but we are building a new barn and arena on 100 acres of beautiful prairie farm land.

It is on Briercliff Road and Briercliff Farm sounds nice but very close in name to a nearby farm.

I liked Blue Sky Farm for a time (since that is a prevalent feature...big open blue prairie sky) but I breed horses and if give them a suffix...."B.S" doesn't quite work for that...

There are about a million dragonflies hovering over at the moment...thought about "Dragonfly Farm" but that is ever so slightly.. airy fairy.

I really want to reference the region which is classic prairie farm land. Perhaps "Helluvalotofwork Farm" would be appropriate? :lol:

What about Prairie Sky farms? Or Sky Blue, or Blue Prairie? How would you describe a Prairie to someone who's never seen one before? How do you feel when in the middle of one, for example after returning home from a vacation?

greenwoodeq
Aug. 2, 2011, 05:43 PM
What about something cute...

Someday Farm

I also like the Aarenelle or naming it after the area/street might be good.

Are you looking in to any specific discipline as far as training... hunt stable could be ...

Tally Ho Farm

or a jumping could be something like...

Over the Moon

spotnnotfarm
Aug. 2, 2011, 06:27 PM
This is a fun thread! My farm is Spotnnot Farm. I came up with it because my husband has a big splashy paint and I had a plain sorrel QH. His horse had spots and mine did not!

When I retired my QH, I was actually worried my farm name would not make sense, because I also wanted a loud paint, but fate intervened and I feel in love with a Solid Bred Paint! So our name still works!

Fred
Aug. 3, 2011, 12:07 PM
Fun thread!

When we bought our first farm I was breeding TB racehorses. I wanted something nice, but not too grandiose.
Our farm had beautiful tamarack trees along the road way so we called it Tamarack Lane.
When we moved to this farm, even though it had no tamaracks, we kept the name
- and planted some tamaracks!

Heinz 57
Aug. 3, 2011, 12:48 PM
I actually had a very similar story to that. I don't have a farm, but my friend decided I needed to name my eventing "team" since I have an assistant (who is paid in life lessons and horse wisdom, lol) and plan on someday having my own farm.

Hey, you're not alone! I don't have a farm, per se (I do live on a small one, though) but needed a 'business' name and do plan on having my own farm in the next few years. I googled, researched, and tried everything I could think of to come up with a suitable name. I wanted something that didn't sound too hoity toity, that was reasonably short and had meaning (and was easy to create a logo for, if possible).

I LOVE Robert Frost, more than any other poet. His poems tickle my brain in a way that few others do. And so, after a month or two of coming up with names that were OK but not great, I was looking through his poems for any sort of inspiration - and I came across a particular one, Hyla Brook. Thinking it had a decent sound to it, I read through the lines and when I got to the end (http://www.poemtree.com/poems/HylaBrook.htm)I was just sold.

Thus, Hylabrook Farm was born. :yes:

SonnysMom
Aug. 3, 2011, 02:53 PM
Friend's farm is Chance Venture Farm because it was just that.

Another friend's farm was Rocking Horse Farm since she collected rocking horses. She was going to name it Rocky Acres, Windy Acres or Rocky Hill Farm. It is a VERY rocky area and there was always a breeze on her property.

I think there is a farm in Unionville PA that is "When Pigs Fly Farm" (Or something like that)

Childhood friend of my husband's grew up on "The D Ranch." Their last name began with D. It was originally The Big D Ranch and over time they decided that was too snobby sounding so they shortened it.

How about Bit of Everything Farm/Acres/Ranch since you want to do a bunch of different things?