PDA

View Full Version : Need boots for horse allergic to neoprene

SoCalEventer
Jul. 27, 2011, 07:28 PM
My event horse recently started reacting to neoprene. He has put me in a tough spot with his boots! We have been using polo wraps at home for everyday but now I have to get serious and replace our everyday turnout/dressage boots, jumping open front boots, and xc boots. The added issue is anything too think (read fleece) causes him to interfere. I was sad to find out I can't get Porters anymore as that was going to be my XC option. I probably have to go with expensive leather. But any other ideas or suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

goodmorning
Jul. 27, 2011, 07:40 PM
For XC you can try the Premier boots. Mine will begin to blister at the thought of Woofs, Eskadron's, etc...the Premier's have been great & are nice boots. Can try Equi-Fits for open fronts. I love my Valena boots for everyday stuff.

yellowbritches
Jul. 27, 2011, 07:52 PM
I have one horse with a neoprene allergy and another who I just avoid neoprene with, as I think he can be quite sensitive. So, I know what you are talking about!

I use fleece lined boots for every day. I know my horses bump into them occasionally, but it doesn't bother me...it's not like they are causing them to travel closer together...there's just more boot there. I also use polos regularly, but I like the ease of the boots (and I have a TON of them). I can also buy them dirt cheap, and I wash the hell out of them.

I currently have sheepskin lined open fronts and ankle boots. And as much as I love them, I covet a full set of Equi-Fits (these are very much Toby approved...that's what he was wearing the day I tried him). Equi-Fits do have all purpose boots, which would be an option for every day. I don't use them, as both my boys sweat buckets, and the one pair of Equi-Fit ankle boots I have take days to dry after they've sweated them up. I AM anxiously awaiting the arrival of the Equi-Fit xc boots that are supposedly coming.

I currently use NEW boots for xc. They have an orthopedic foam lining. Toby approved. I may get Premiers eventually. Dalmars are also Toby approved (what his previous owner used). Eccogold should be good, as well (they also have every day boots that I have contemplated in the past). Pretty much any of the newer, higher end xc specific boots SHOULD be safe. Most have something other than neoprene as a lining. Every leather boot I see seems to be lined with Neoprene or rubber, so I don't even consider them.

Smartpak sells "Hampa" protectors. I've never seen or used them, but in the catalog they remind me of Porters, which if I didn't do so many one days, is what I would use.

Hawks Nest
Jul. 28, 2011, 01:16 AM
Roma makes a boot that is good for XC, they are a brushing boot, fairly cheap, and basically plastic. I used them on my horse that was allergic to neoprean and I also used equifit boots (I actually still have the full set even though the horse passed in february)

Saskatoonian
Jul. 28, 2011, 08:34 AM
I know it's not fashionable, but you could always just leave his legs naked. That's what I did with my training level horse, who couldn't do some neoprene and got rubs at the drop of a hat. My current horse (N) goes naked unless he's wearing studs, and sometimes then. ;)