PDA

View Full Version : What Material Do You Use?

JollyBadger
Jul. 27, 2011, 07:22 PM
We have a 16'x40' shelter built in to the back of the barn so that the horses can get their shade and water, or just "hang out" when they're not out grazing without actually coming all the way back into the stalls. That way we can keep them out of their stalls except for feeding time.

Seems to work out well, but I'm trying to find something to hang in the doorways to make it even darker in there without cutting down on the breeze too much (for added fly control).

I've looked in catalogs like FarmTek that sell those heavier clear plastic strips, but they're pricey and not really what I'm looking for.

I used to board with a lady, long ago, who used to hang what looked like long burlap sheets along the doorways of her run-in sheds. They gave the added shade, and hung down to about three feet from the ground so the horses would just walk through it as they came and went.

Any idea what type of material would work well?

clanter
Jul. 28, 2011, 05:09 PM
The product is called Shade Screening or Shade Cloth. There are companies that will make it to fit with mounting grommets. This is often used in greenhouse environments; and in this part of the world it used on the open walls of covered arenas.

Also check the wind block netting used on tennis courts

JSwan
Jul. 28, 2011, 05:33 PM
A friend had what I think clanter is referring to. I thought you could buy them from Farm Tek. It was a dark screenlike material (heavy duty) that hung from grommets.

She put them in front of the run in, and they parted like curtains. The horses loved it - and it also helped keep the run in shed pretty free from flies/biting flies.

ETA - I was wrong. I think this is the product she bought (not sure if this is the best price or not) http://www.horseflynet.com/horseflynet.html

JollyBadger
Jul. 29, 2011, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the responses! That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for!

Last year, before we built the new addition/shelter on the back of the barn, I'd cut an old shower curtain liner into strips and hung it in the doorway.

It was pretty "redneck" :lol: and needless to say, cheap shower curtain liners don't tend to hold up well with horses going in and out several times a day, but it did seem to do the trick for a little while.

At least it was on the back side of the barn where we didn't have to see it. :winkgrin: