PDA

View Full Version : Organizing a Stanley Trunk

Sweet Thing Eventing
Jul. 27, 2011, 04:46 PM
I know this has been done before, so I hope I don't upset anyone by asking again. I was hoping to see if anyone has come up with new interesting ways to organize a Stanley trunk?

This past weekend I went to a cross country schooling for the first time with my own horse and not my coach's horse in two years. I got to bring my new Stanley trunk that my boyfriend had purchsed for my birthday. Sitting at home the trunk was nicely organized with all my show gear, but take it off for the weekend and actually use it, it was not so easy to find what I was looking for when I needed it. I don't use the trunk on a daily basis, it is in my trailer and packed up only when we go to shows. My daily stuff in neat in draws and shelves in my tack room.

So my question is, does anyone have any neat ideas that they would like to share on how they have neatly organized their show trunk? I am looking at things like my cross country boots, stadium boots, ice boots, standing wraps when not in use, cooler, braiding materials, studs, leather cleaning equipment, little things like sunscreen, bug spray, rain poncho (that seems so funny to even think I need right now!), poulice, magic cushion, tape, ect... Oh and I would love to be able to put things like my helmet, bridle bag and saddle pads in when we are traveling. I don't plan or think my saddle will fit with everything else ;) Has anyone tried those "over-the-door" hooks and placed them on the sides of the trunk facing in?

Thank you so much for the help!!!
Oh and if I am missing any little items that might be good to keep in a show trunk please, please let me know!! (I have my wash bucket and grooming bag separate and my coach always travels with a vet box so I don't usually pack mine)
Pictures would be great if at all possible!!!

Ibex
Jul. 27, 2011, 04:59 PM
I have one as well... LOVE it, but it's a bit of a black hole after about a day :lol:

I find putting things into smaller containers helps, and stack it from the least used up, or at least by order of phase. I turn the tray into my brush box. And I find repacking/reordering it daily helps...

VCT
Jul. 27, 2011, 05:13 PM
I have one of those grooming bags with all the compartments for my grooming stuff.

Shoebox sized tupperware box for show gloves, hairnets, band aids, advil, other incidentals, hairbrush, small mirror, etc. Spare reins, stirrups leathers, lead, halter are on the bottom off to the side under the yellow tray. I have a plastic zip up bag (the kind that bed sheet sets come in) and my quilts and standing wraps live in that along with gel liniment, in the trunk.

Horse boots are folded together neatly and are just in there loose. Saddle pads, girths, bridles, breastplates, etc. I keep all sorts of stuff in the yellow tray that is just small random stuff... hole puncher, sunscreen, scissors, cordless clippers, spurs, numbers, sunglasses, pen, dressage tests, saddle tight, etc.

I have a separate bucket that carries my bath stuff, and another one for tack cleaning stuff. And I use a small soft sided cooler for my ice "boots" which are just el cheapo ice cells that I cover with saratoga bandages. Usually keep the bandages in my trunk.

I don't have a hard time keeping it organized... I usually am packing for 2 or 3 horses.

Divine Comedy
Jul. 27, 2011, 05:14 PM
I have one Stanley for the barn and another for shows. I wrote a blog about my show gear at one point, and included a description of what I have in my show trunk and how it's organized.

http://comediceventing.blogspot.com/2011/03/gear-it-up.html

subk
Jul. 27, 2011, 05:42 PM
Boxes within boxes. Labels that say what goes in that box. I don't try to make a trunk be the single storage receptacle of everything I'm going to need for a weekend, but instead have it part of the bigger plan of using my trailer as storage and only bringing to the stalls what I'm actually going to use (or might need) that day.

What I usually do is have a couple big flat boxes (18" x 12" x 8") One has "Everything I need to put on the horse for dressage," and another has "Everything I need to put on the horse or me for jumping." When I'm tacking up and have the jitters I don't have to worry about forgetting something (like a number) or finding something because I'm not ready to leave the barns until that box is empty, and I filled it when I wasn't rushed or nervous! When I leave home I have a duffle bag of "Everything I need to school my horse when I arrive at the show grounds" so I don't have dig or unpack when I know I will be pressed for time and at my most disorganized.

I also keep two laundry baskets in my trailer. One holds "Dirty stuff that I'm not going to use again that weekend" and the other has any "Equipment that I'm not going to use again that weekend." That way once I'm done with any item its not cluttering things up.

I've got a great tool box that holds tools, tack cleaning stuff (in its own little box) braiding stuff (in it's own little pouch) snaps, bungee cords, and loops (in their own little bag) and random small stuff (you guessed it...in its own little box!)

Then I've got a bucket with wash supplies. A groom box. A stud box. A helmet/hair stuff bag.

Each evening I organize myself for the next day making sure that whatever I'm going to need in my riding box for the next day's phase is there, stuff I'm done with goes back to the trailer into its appropriate basket.

Feeding stuff stays at the trailer (in a bucket) and I bring what I need for the day in the morning. I individually wrap each meal in a baggie. Wraps stay at the trailer (in a wraps box) and I only pull what I'm going to need that day. Those types of things spend the day in the trunk.

I try to use sample sized bottles that I've refilled for things like shampoo, conditioner, detangler. I might have two of something in different places, like scissors or rolls of duct tape--one with my wraps (I use it to close shipping wraps) and one with my tool box. I want to be able to grab a "container" and do most if not all of its use without digging around for stuff in other places.

There isn't a lot left to be loose in the big trunk and most of the stuff that is loose in the trunk are things (like feed, standing wraps) that will be used THAT day.

yellowbritches
Jul. 27, 2011, 07:02 PM
Tack boxes are supposed to be organized?? News to me! :lol::lol: Seriously, I am all about organization...then the show hits and it all goes to hell in a hand basket...or, tack box. Somewhere there is a picture of my tack box at VAHT this spring on Sunday afternoon. Everyone thought it was very funny (it looked like Mt. Vesuvius) considering I am always bitching at everyone about keeping their stuff is neat (I didn't have the heart to tell them that the reason it looked like it did was because it was closest to the door of our tack stall, and when ever someone wanted to sit down on a chair in the aisle -which basically became coat racks-, they scooped up whoever's stuff was in the chair and threw it on/in my box!).

Lots of little boxes is the way to go. And reorganize/straighten at the end of every phase or day.

eponacowgirl
Jul. 27, 2011, 10:41 PM
http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269242

NMK
Jul. 28, 2011, 09:02 AM
I have stackable clear plastic boxes with low profiles. They have handles and still stack evenly. So when you need something, take out the entire box, and then replace once used. IE take out the box with the brushes, put it back on the stack. With bottles I use a standing "file" with side handles and no top (placed on one side in trunk) so you can pull the entire plastic file out with all the bottle type stuff. I am tempted to throw out the top tray as it seems to collect misc. Another fun hint...a stall name plate fits nicely over the Stanley logo with double face tape.

Love these trunks.

johnnysauntie
Jul. 28, 2011, 10:22 AM
I put two of the larger, plastic grooming caddies in the bottom - one holds medical stuff, the other holds misc bits, standing wraps etc. Large bottles (shampoo, fly spray) fit in the spaces on either end, and the caddies provide support so they don't fall over. The shallow tray that comes with the trunk now holds misc items I use frequently - spurs, Mad Cow, gloves, sunglasses. I can set my helmet, bucket with grooming stuff, bag of polos/boots and my huge jug of ultrashield on top of the filled grooming caddies. Here's a pic right after I cleaned it out this spring (I was so pleased with myself!)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2658/5753161064_4210422e82_b.jpg (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2658/5753161064_4210422e82_b.jpg)

Sweet Thing Eventing
Jul. 28, 2011, 11:57 AM
Thank you everyone for all the fun and helpful hints, I really love this trunk :)

Thank you for the link, I have seen it but I was just wondering if anyone had any new ideas since that thread was over a year old, but again thank you for posting it!

The stall plate idea was part of my birthday present :D my boyfriend ordered it from Smartpak and screwed the plate holder over the Stanley logo and slid the name plate into place, looks amazing!!

Looks like I am off to Walmart and Target!! Maybe do a little internet shopping since I don't have a Container Store close by...

Aussie08
Jul. 28, 2011, 12:39 PM
I would like to see a couple of pictures of your trunk including one with the stall plate.

aroundtuit
Jul. 28, 2011, 12:43 PM
Love the stall plate idea, will be doing that!
I do put "horse first aid" in a separate bucket w/ lid. Clearly marked on the outside in big letters. As a former ER nurse, I want to either be able to: run get the bucket and take it to the crisis (no matter how small) or yell for someone to get the bucket and have them find it quickly. It is layered with quickly needed items at the top. Again, if its my emergency, I can easily tell others how to take things out and hand them to me. I keep it in the trailer when I'm gone and carry it back into the barn when I'm home. I've used it twice at home when I was by myself. With it and a cell phone I can hang on til the vet or help arrives.

baxtersmom
Jul. 28, 2011, 02:31 PM
One of my favorite organizing tricks is "bucket in a bucket." So, say, for my poneh beauty salon stuff, I bought 2 buckets that stack together, and put all of my washing/braiding stuff in the top bucket. That way, when I go to do my show prep, I have the bottom bucket to fill with bath stuff (water, shampoo, sponge, scraper) and the top bucket to hold everything else (showsheen, detangler, brush, braiding kit, etc) so it's contained. And it doesn't take up any extra room. Works really well for liniment/ rub down stuff too.

Jokers Wild
Jul. 28, 2011, 03:34 PM
Whoa - this is way too organized for me. I throw all my crap in, get to show, and seem to know where it all is with the added benefit that other people don't know where to find things! Ha ha ha. All part of my evil plan.

deltawave
Jul. 28, 2011, 04:17 PM
I'd much rather have a series of small containers than one big one. I keep all my XC boots and studs in one little bin, all the bathing stuff in another. The only BIG trunk I have has just the "almost never used but I might need it" stuff like a longe line, stall guard, extra halter, extra stirrup, poultice, etc.

But even better than a trunk or bin for many of these little things is my nifty hanging wire baskets hung on a shower curtain rod across the top of the trailer, and my closet organizer (a series of soft square compartments that hangs from a hanging rod) that holds helmets, towels, and the little basket of essentials that I always want to be able to grab in a hurry: armband, watch, Sporty Haft spray, gloves, baby powder, scissors, tape, extra double-end snap, etc. Kind of like my junk drawer. :)

SilvyFilly
Jul. 28, 2011, 10:31 PM
I was soo excited to see this thread today!! My boyfriend also just purchased me my first Stanley Trunk after stopping to look at it EVERYTIME we were in Home Depot or Menards. I have spent a lot of time looking at all the clear containers to fill up with all my crap, but I am going to my first show this weekend and we'll see how awful it gets and then I'll figure out how I want to organize it. There are a lot of great ideas here!

JFCeventer
Jul. 29, 2011, 07:02 PM
Okay guys, I finally cracked today and bought mine and have spent the last three hourse organizing it to my liking...

On the left side, I have three average sized plastic bins stacked. One has tack cleaning supplies, one has braiding supplies, and one has horse boots. Then I have a small plastic container that houses my gloves, hairnet, xc watch, armband, belt, and stock tie and pin.

On the opposite end, I have my tall boots, boot jack, and boot pulls. On the bottom I have my dressage saddle pad and jumping saddle pad with my helmet and show grooming bag (which includes brushes and things like Show Sheen, hoof polish, etc.). I also have a small cheapy plastic basket that has "extras" that I may need such as reins, girths, stirrup irons and treads, bits, bailing twine, double ended snaps, etc.

In the tray I have everything that I would ever need to grab in a hurry: rain gear, baby wipes, braiding bands, rags, extra hairnet, stock pin, and medical card, a brush, scissors, a pen, zip ties, bug spray, safety pins, and the list goes on...

I can't wait to go to a show now and have my trunk, garment bag, and saddles/bridles and not have to cart five million bags, boxes, and containers back and forth...

gold2012
Jul. 29, 2011, 08:10 PM
Ok, so call me OCD....since I am the main " crap mom where is this" for my daughter at thelast possible second, and I take pride in this, here is what I do....

First, at lowes is a big black, on wheels, chest for tools. It has a large compartment top side, then slides open to reveal compartment storage and a huge area below. In it are smaller thins. From batteries for gps thing to her helmets. All easily reachable without moving something else. We take to shows and get tons of where did that come from.

Then the big box. I am a total fan of zip locks. But first, I layer.if stadium is last, it's first in. Pad, girth, bridle, etc. Etc, then xc pad, boots, girth, breastplate, etc.boots fit in large ziplock and keeps them clean and waterproof way to get them home.

Then dressage PAd and stuff. Top of that a spare pad for riding and stuff to set up stall. We tend to just have a bucket for washing that goes separate. When the six- year old wants to help and tips said trunk over w quick silver In it...not a pretty pic. Anyway, love love love organizing tack trunks..

annikak
Jul. 29, 2011, 08:31 PM
Ok, so call me OCD....since I am the main " crap mom where is this" for my daughter at thelast possible second, and I take pri this, here is what I do....

First, at lowes is a big black, on wheels, chest for tools. It has a large compartment top side, then slides open to reveal compartment storage and a huge area below.
Then the big box. I am a total fan of zip locks. But first, I layer.

organizing tack trunks..
Pic please!! What box is this?

My DH did this for our trunks- took a 1x4, sanded and varnished it, beveled the edges, put them in the grooves in the top..both glue and drilled them to hold it there. Drilled from underneath for a finished look. Lovely- with the name plate it looks great! (drilled that in too but from the top...). The Stanley came off after grinding the plugs off. ;-)

gold2012
Jul. 29, 2011, 09:08 PM
I gotta look, but my goodness it holds. Ton! Will try get a pic too!