PDA

View Full Version : xpost: Groom or Working Student Positions

Hawks Nest
Jul. 27, 2011, 12:33 AM
I am an experienced young rider (17) but come next year I have to make a big decision, pursue my passion for riding (eventing or jumpers) or put it on the back burner, go to college for the hard sciences and hope that I'll be able to afford a horse after college. I have no idea how to make that decision so I decided to take a gap year.

I am really hoping to work/ride/groom at a stable for a year to really get my feet wet in the industry and hopefully that would help me make the decision. If I were to decide to pursue riding then I would still go to college, focus more on business, and come out with (hopefully) contacts to get me started after the year of work.

I would love to work in Europe somewhere but in the USA is fine, actually just about anywhere is fine as long as there are some sort of accommodations for me and I get paid enough to get by. The big issue is that I need to know if this is going to be possible (and have a tentative position) by the time college decisions are due as I intend to defer. If there was a potential stable in Europe I would be able to visit and meet them in early march if they wanted to see me ride in person (I will be spending Jan and Feb in germany and will hopefully come home fluent in german).

If anyone had any suggestions for me they would be welcome. And before you warn me that this would be hard work, I know. I've had horses all my life and I know the work that goes into it. I can provide video of me riding and/or pictures if needed.

cross posted to H/J forum as well as I would be willing to do Jumpers instead of eventing

deltawave
Jul. 27, 2011, 09:49 AM
If Europe is on your "do-able" list, you might check out the Horse & Hound website. I used to subscribe, simply because it was a huge treat to read a weekly magazine so FULL of horse stuff besides COTH. Guilty pleasure. :) Their classifieds are (or were) absolutely loaded with offers of all sorts for working students, grooms, etc.

There is also a UK-based website whose actual name escapes me (someone will chime in) that is a clearinghouse for jobs like this: Yard And Groom? Something like that.

EventMore
Jul. 27, 2011, 09:59 AM
It's Yard and Groom. That's a good one.
I did a gap year in Europe - it was awesome. Go for it! Do check references for farms, and make sure you find out what other people are working there, their ages, their goals, etc. Look beyond the horse part too - Make sure you are in the environment you want to be in such as small barn vs big barn, lots of young people or no young people, travelling to competitions or not, etc. Makes a big difference to the experience.