PDA

View Full Version : Insulating the roof?

Nuggets
Jul. 26, 2011, 05:05 PM
I have a bunch of leftover unfaced pink insulation batts, and was considering putting them on the ceiling between the rafters of my little 4-stall barn. Would this be a bad idea, and would it help at all? Right now there is no insulation at all.

I was going to hang them with the perforated metal straps and screws, but was wondering if I should go ahead and put a vapor barrier up over the newly-insulated bays, mainly to help keep the pink stuff from shedding on the horses. My concern with that is trapping moisture between the roof and the plastic, though. Thoughts?

jbonifas
Jul. 26, 2011, 05:36 PM
I have only seen the insulation with the plastic backing on it and even then it needs chicken wire to help keep it in place. The birds still pick at it for nesting materila. I would say no just becasue of the type of insulation but that is opinion.

Rbow
Jul. 26, 2011, 05:47 PM
I would say no just becasue of the type of insulation but that is opinion.

Same here.

msj
Jul. 26, 2011, 08:40 PM
Ditto, esp. because of the birds. If you wanted to use it to insulate a tack room for instance and it would be sandwiched between, say plywood and tongue and grove siding, then I'd say you're probably putting it to good use but forget the roof area.

Nuggets
Jul. 26, 2011, 09:52 PM
Good point - I wondered how it would hold up, and didn't think about the birds. Sounds like it'd be better in my attic.

walkers
Jul. 26, 2011, 10:32 PM
Our large barn roof was insulated with sheets of styrofoam board, worked great and never had any problems with condensation or dripping or mold or bugs.

equinedriver
Jul. 27, 2011, 11:50 AM
MY barn has the insulation with the white plastic on showing. More than 10 years old without a single defect in it. Open air barn in Aiken.

shakeytails
Jul. 27, 2011, 01:00 PM
I wouldn't use fiberglass either- especially if it's a metal roof.

tasia
Jul. 27, 2011, 05:01 PM
Mice and rats will probably like it.

Sparky Boy
Jul. 28, 2011, 10:46 AM
Would you all all recommend using batting in the back of the stalls? Enclosed between the exterior metal and plywood?

shakeytails
Jul. 28, 2011, 12:14 PM
Would you all all recommend using batting in the back of the stalls? Enclosed between the exterior metal and plywood?

I wouldn't. The only place I have fiberglass insulation in my barn is in the tack room/ office/ bathroom area. It's totally covered by plywood or drywall and I still occasionally see mouse evidence.

Sparky Boy
Jul. 28, 2011, 12:22 PM
I wouldn't. The only place I have fiberglass insulation in my barn is in the tack room/ office/ bathroom area. It's totally covered by plywood or drywall and I still occasionally see mouse evidence.

Any suggestions on what to use to insulate the back walls the? The barn builders are all suggesting the batting and I'm very leary of it. I can see a very expensive mouse house :(

shakeytails
Jul. 28, 2011, 12:37 PM
Any suggestions on what to use to insulate the back walls the? The barn builders are all suggesting the batting and I'm very leary of it. I can see a very expensive mouse house :(

I'd go with foam board (http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=304089-210-304089.0&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3122445&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1). Watch Craigslist- sometimes you can find the stuff really cheap. On my local Craigslist there's an ad for isoboard @ $5/ per inch of thickness for 4x8 sheets - I'm thinking about getting some to insulate my barn roof.

Sparky Boy
Jul. 28, 2011, 12:39 PM
The R Value on the foam board is only 5. Is it worth the trouble? That's pretty low.

shakeytails
Jul. 28, 2011, 01:04 PM
I'm not sure, although I think anything to slow the conduction of heat through the metal siding would be a huge help in the summer. Here's another product (http://www.insulation4less.com/) I've considered- the only thing holding me back is shipping cost.

tasia
Jul. 28, 2011, 01:08 PM
Foam board or spray foam insulation might work. Let us know what you go with :)

Sparky Boy
Jul. 28, 2011, 01:13 PM
I'm not sure, although I think anything to slow the conduction of heat through the metal siding would be a huge help in the summer. Here's another product (http://www.insulation4less.com/) I've considered- the only thing holding me back is shipping cost.

Funny, I was JUST looking at that site and debating whether to email the link to the builder.

We just reinsulated the house with the spray foam. DH is in love with the stuff but it's pricey. I'd almost think it would be a waste of money if you didn't insulate the entire building with it. Plus, it's a BARN....

EDITED - I just spoke with the builder. He definately understood my concern about moisture and critters and assured me they would back up the claim that I will not have any problems with it. They do all sorts of Ag buildings this way. They use a 4 mill vapor barrier over the insulation, there are rat guards and there are no continuous runs in the framing. He's such a nice guy and when he says they've not had any problems, I actually believe him.

Sorry Nuggets - Didn't mean to hijack your thread.

tasia
Jul. 28, 2011, 01:28 PM
Funny, I was JUST looking at that site and debating whether to email the link to the builder.

We just reinsulated the house with the spray foam. DH is in love with the stuff but it's pricey. I'd almost think it would be a waste of money if you didn't insulate the entire building with it. Plus, it's a BARN....

How do you like the sprayfoam for the house? Did you see your electric bill drop significantly?

Sparky Boy
Jul. 28, 2011, 01:49 PM
How do you like the sprayfoam for the house? Did you see your electric bill drop significantly?

Can't really say. We just bought the farm this spring and haven't moved in yet. We just did the spray foam insulation last week and also put in Geothermal. They did some analysis and said our heating/cooling bill would average either $45 or $75 per month, can't remember which. But like I said, the DH is in love with the foam insulation.

Nuggets
Jul. 28, 2011, 04:36 PM
Has anyone tried the DIY spray foam kits that Farm-Tek (or the other online places) sell? How tough is it to spray evenly and get decent coverage?

Farm-Tek Insulation Kit (http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/prod1;ft1_building_material-ft1_handifoam_4;pg109627.html)

Sparky Boy
Jul. 29, 2011, 10:42 AM
The company that spray foamed our house suggested this site for metal buildings. http://www.high-r.com/

fivehorses
Jul. 29, 2011, 10:43 AM
I used the foam boards too for a ceiling, and nailed them to the rafters. You also use a big spacer so the nail doesn't go through the foam board. They can tell you what you need.
I did it with one other person.
I used it on my ell which had a metal roof. It seemed to get awfully hot in there in summer, and very cool in winter.
Its not a high insulation r value, but it helps.

For those you with swallows, I did not use the boards where there nests are...otherwise they would not be able to get to them. I love my swallows, so it does look odd that there is a hole in the foam board ceiling for my swallow's nests!

yaya
Jul. 30, 2011, 11:34 PM
They just finished spray-foaming my barn roof yesterday. Metal barn, and I'm also putting painted plywood over it so I don't have to look at the foam as it gets yellow with age.

It does feel better in there, and my anhydrotic mare who normally pants in her stall even with two fans on her was breathing normally today, with temps in the high 90s and no clouds.

The sound insulation is a big plus, too. Rain no longer sounds like marbles on the roof, and even the fan noise is muffled.

So far, so good!

yaya
Jul. 30, 2011, 11:42 PM
Has anyone tried the DIY spray foam kits that Farm-Tek (or the other online places) sell? How tough is it to spray evenly and get decent coverage?

Farm-Tek Insulation Kit (http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/prod1;ft1_building_material-ft1_handifoam_4;pg109627.html)

The better question is, how much coverage do you get with those kits? They used 4-6 55-gallon drums of each part to do my 36x56-foot barn roof.

sketcher
Jul. 31, 2011, 08:52 AM
We just reinsulated the house with the spray foam. DH is in love with the stuff but it's pricey. I'd almost think it would be a waste of money if you didn't insulate the entire building with it.

Wow, the spay foam kits at Farm-Tek are expensive! I just calculated that it would cost me over 8k to do 1200 sq ft (only one section of my house) at 6 inches thick - which still wouldn't get me to the recommended R value for the northeast. (R38-R60). :eek:

Could it possibly cost more to have someone come spray it for me?

Sparky Boy
Jul. 31, 2011, 10:25 AM
Wow, the spay foam kits at Farm-Tek are expensive! I just calculated that it would cost me over 8k to do 1200 sq ft (only one section of my house) at 6 inches thick - which still wouldn't get me to the recommended R value for the northeast. (R38-R60). :eek:

Could it possibly cost more to have someone come spray it for me?

We didn't do it ourselves. We had a Spray Foam Co come in and do the house. I think we paid about $8k for the house. We'll probably have the same company come out and do the barn. Turns out it's about $3k+ more to do the foam. Even though the builder said the batting would be fine, I just would rather not use it. We'll have the walls spray foamed and they do a blow in R38 on top of the ceiling.