PDA

View Full Version : Edward Gal and Rubin Cortes- Videos Found!

BetterOffRed
Jul. 26, 2011, 05:00 PM
Am I totally late to the party? Is this Edward's new horse? I can't wait to see this pair. I know that the OLD breeders on COTH like him a lot.

BetterOffRed
Aug. 24, 2011, 01:26 AM
Videos from a clinic in the south of France. Enjoy with a chilled white wine, some tapenade and baguette, or maybe a glass of Pastis.

Seriously, I could watch this man ride a coin operated horse at the Wal-Mart and still think it was genius.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9Xj2xb0Erc&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcLuO5z78i0&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD2v5BupvVI&feature=player_embedded

Don Raphaelo Rollkurista
Aug. 24, 2011, 08:05 AM
Bravo! Thanks for this! Great to watch.

dudleyc
Aug. 24, 2011, 09:27 AM
Thanks!!! I too love watching edward ride - its so interesting how he can control the tempo so seemlessly.

alicen
Aug. 24, 2011, 09:48 AM
So, does anyone know if Gal will be competing Rubin Cortes? I find it curious that the horse was moved from training with Silvia Ikle's stable to Gal's.

ise@ssl
Aug. 24, 2011, 10:11 AM
So the poll should NOT be the highest point of flextion - it should be half way down the neck?

alicen
Aug. 24, 2011, 10:53 AM
So the poll should NOT be the highest point of flextion - it should be half way down the neck?

Yes, and the rider should be 6 ft tall, weigh 170 lbs, and have beautiful sun bleached blond hair.

in_the_zone
Aug. 24, 2011, 10:59 AM
Watching Gal train and school a horse is a real treat. I still recall watching a clip of his masterclass in awe of the deep understanding he has for the horse, for riding, and for the art. What he does is truly masterful.

Also, getting into a rollkur/LDR discussion at this point would be redundant, and frankly, disrespectful to this man's talent and dedication.

dudleyc
Aug. 24, 2011, 11:10 AM
Watching Gal train and school a horse is a real treat. I still recall watching a clip of his masterclass in awe of the deep understanding he has for the horse, for riding, and for the art. What he does is truly masterful.

Also, getting into a rollkur/LDR discussion at this point would be redundant, and frankly, disrespectful to this man's talent and dedication.

Well said

Jeito
Aug. 24, 2011, 11:41 AM
Ditto.

belambi
Aug. 24, 2011, 01:19 PM
very nice indeed!

ise@ssl
Aug. 24, 2011, 03:02 PM
I'm not getting into any debate - it's just asking the question as to whether or not we are seeing a change. Please don't tell me what I can or cannot post about a video that is put on here for us to watch. If I don't agree with some of you - so be it. I have every right to post the question after watching the video.

BetterOffRed
Aug. 24, 2011, 03:28 PM
Yes, and the rider should be 6 ft tall, weigh 170 lbs, and have beautiful sun bleached blond hair.

Brava!

BetterOffRed
Aug. 24, 2011, 03:57 PM
I'm not getting into any debate - it's just asking the question as to whether or not we are seeing a change. Please don't tell me what I can or cannot post about a video that is put on here for us to watch. If I don't agree with some of you - so be it. I have every right to post the question after watching the video.

I see a horse that is very confident in his movement. Very relaxed, so elastic he is bungee-like. Since there is music over the video, I can't hear what EG was trying to accomplish or show the audience. In the walk, I see a horse with great tempo control, working over his back with lots of over stride. In the canter videos, I see some working canter and working on collecting, quickening the hind leg and some sitting...in the last video, I see a horse with the poll at the highest point, up hill and freedom in the shoulders. I don't see anything wrong with the work at all. I see a lot to like.

KarenRO
Aug. 24, 2011, 05:09 PM
At the risk of being flamed, I agree with ise@ssi. Yes, the horse looks elastic, relaxed, etc. but the poll is definitely NOT the highest point and the nose is somewhere between vertical to behind the vertical. The horse is not being ridden in the frame that the FEI describes below (and, BTW, FEI's accompanying figure does not display the frame described in their text). In particular, see the last sentence.

"In all the work, even at the halt, the horse must be “on the bit”. A horse is said to be “on the bit” when the neck is more or less raised and arched according to the stage of training and the extension or collection of the pace, accepting the bridle with a light and consistent soft submissive contact. The head should remain
in a steady position, as a rule slightly in front of the vertical, with a supple poll as the highest point of the neck, and no resistance should be offered to the athlete."

Donning flame suit now.

Carol Ames
Aug. 24, 2011, 05:17 PM
Lok the over track in the walk:cool:; I wonder how many front shoes he has sprung:confused:

dudleyc
Aug. 24, 2011, 05:25 PM
Maybe if we ignore them they will go away?

Galadriël Fëfalas
Aug. 24, 2011, 05:33 PM

Ah! that's where I'm going wrong!

:lol:

Carol Ames
Aug. 24, 2011, 05:35 PM
For sanyone who, wants to see what the leg hanging like a wet blanket" looks like,;) watch this!:yes::cool:

alicen
Aug. 24, 2011, 06:10 PM
Wow, KarenRo! You beat out the dragon harted spirit horse at quoting the FEI, but the rider in the video is not in a competition and is under no obligation to try and fulfill FEI standards while presenting his own personal training methods in a clinic. So why don't you just put the text aside and enjoy the good stuff.

DutchDressageQueen
Aug. 24, 2011, 09:27 PM
Wow, KarenRo! You beat out the dragon harted spirit horse at quoting the FEI, but the rider in the video is not in a competition and is under no obligation to try and fulfill FEI standards while presenting his own personal training methods in a clinic. So why don't you just put the text aside and enjoy the good stuff.

exactly what I was thinking!

ise@ssl
Aug. 24, 2011, 11:08 PM
I think some of you gals have the "rose colored glasses on" and that's o.k. But I would suggest you also take a good look at Gal's body position. I'm old enough to say that his leg is almost in the old "home" position. No vertical line in his body position - he's actually leaning back - feet on the dashboard!!

No flame suits needed - a curled up horse is certainly easy for anyone to achieve in a double bridle. After seeing Uthopia and comparing his overall muscle development (balanced) and light, soft, engaged movement - I hope the direction tacks this way. Totilas is striking but IMHO (which I'm entitled to!) does not compare to Uthopia.

Snipey remarks to chase people with differing opinions off the BB's is not productive. But have at it if it helps your egos.

dragonharte8
Aug. 24, 2011, 11:43 PM

What good stuff?
Nothing to do with the rules. No correct equine biomechanical schooling presented here....just the same old stuff.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Beentheredonethat
Aug. 25, 2011, 01:03 AM
ise--I have no reason to say one thing or another, but I reviewed the videos trying to see what you were, and couldn't. Gal was leaning back?? His feet were forward in the dashboard position? I couldn't see that anywhere.

And just FYI, a curled up horse is NOT easy for anyone to achieve in a double, let alone getting the horse to DO the work. Gal is somewhat tall, but very thin. NO way is he muscling that horse around with a double. I have a tiny mare and I am very strong and bigger than Gal, and there is no way I can make her do that in a double if she doesn't want to. She can rip my arms off if she wants no matter what she has on, and she looks like a waif next to that horse. I just don't get when someone can say something like that. All I can think of is they have never ridden at that level.

I cannot ride a horse like that, but this method of training seems to be producing one horse after another doing very, very well and staying sound. I don't know why some people think they way a horse is trained should be the same way they are ridden in the show ring. I would have to say Gal is one of the continually best and most tactful riders I've seen--I was so impressed when I first saw him on Lingh at the World Cup.

ise@ssl
Aug. 25, 2011, 07:52 AM
Beentheredonethat - cannot agree with you the ability to drop a horses down and round with a curb. I IS rather easy. Most of the Western riders know that very well! Otherwise they'd probably ride with snaffles.
I'm done - you gals you have the "glow" can follow Gal.

mbm
Aug. 25, 2011, 01:26 PM
ise@ssl - it's ok, i (and many others i am sure) see what you see. so you are not alone. however, those of us who don't agree with that type of riding just don't really speak up anymore.... there is no point when the DQ mob do the mob thang and attack (which is all they can do because they generally have no theory/experience to back up what they say)....

so i will just say that that kind of riding i can't watch. it just makes me sad. and what is sadder is those that seem to think it is correct and good. :(

and whomever said you cant force a horse is dead wrong and probably has never spent time in a training barn.

it is a rare horse that will fight back. and a curb and a tall male rider equals a huge amount of leverage force. but don't let facts stand in your way of believing what you want lol!

BetterOffRed
Aug. 25, 2011, 02:10 PM
I am sorry, I can't read your comments...I'm too blinded by the glow of Gal's naturally blond highlights and the sheen off of his "Hermes-y" tan boots. You gotta admit those boots rock!

manentail
Aug. 25, 2011, 02:18 PM
ise@ssl - it's ok, i (and many others i am sure) see what you see. so you are not alone. however, those of us who don't agree with that type of riding just don't really speak up anymore.... there is no point when the DQ mob do the mob thang and attack (which is all they can do because they generally have no theory/experience to back up what they say)....

so i will just say that that kind of riding i can't watch. it just makes me sad. and what is sadder is those that seem to think it is correct and good. :(

and whomever said you cant force a horse is dead wrong and probably has never spent time in a training barn.

it is a rare horse that will fight back. and a curb and a tall male rider equals a huge amount of leverage force. but don't let facts stand in your way of believing what you want lol!

Agree

stolensilver
Aug. 25, 2011, 05:18 PM
I love Edward Gal and the relationship he builds with his horses. I aspire to ride like he does (if only!) but yes, when watching this video I did think he was waterskiing a tad and did not look his usual, elegant self. And I wondered why but didn't work out the answer.

Bats79
Aug. 26, 2011, 12:17 PM
This was a supple moving, elastic horse several years ago when ridden by someone else.

Now he is a supple moving, elastic overbent horse ridden by Edward Gal.

I would like someone to explain to me what improvement is made in the horse by riding him overbent and short in the neck that couldn't be made without breaking the horse's neck in the middle?

opel
Aug. 26, 2011, 02:48 PM
Thanks to the OP. I enjoyed watching the videos. The predictable batch of crazies who don't believe in stretching horses except in their (the crazies) own and narrowly defined way...that I can do without.

baylady7
Aug. 26, 2011, 03:01 PM
I hope that the video breaks represent where the horse was allowed to stretch and not be BTV. Agree with others that the rider was a bit in a water skiing position (no heel/hip/elbow/ear vertical alignment). No doubt this is a very capable rider and the horse is probably strong enough to deal with all the pulling, but it is not something I would want someone to do to my horse. The horse is very nice looking in spite of the BTV riding.

alibi_18
Aug. 26, 2011, 03:44 PM
... the horse is probably strong enough to deal with all the pulling, but it is not something I would want someone to do to my horse.

Don't worry, I doubt Gal will ever work on your horses. ;)

Really...I'm sure most people here do more harm (without knowing) to their horses than Gal will ever do to this horse or any he'll ever ride...

He has access to the best vets, best farriers, best trainers, best equipment, best training facilities... and top horses breed purposely for that kind of work. If he wasn't a good rider/trainer, he wouldn't be there riding those magnificient horses and he would not perform the way he does consistently!

alibi_18
Aug. 26, 2011, 03:48 PM
I am sorry, I can't read your comments...I'm too blinded by the glow of Gal's naturally blond highlights and the sheen off of his "Hermes-y" tan boots. You gotta admit those boots rock!

The boots are WOW!!! :eek::yes::yes:

If I could afford few pairs, I would have one just like these! :D

Xpression
Aug. 27, 2011, 04:24 AM

Two words:

Warm. Up.

netg
Aug. 28, 2011, 12:47 AM
I don't particularly like seeing a horse warm up so far behind vertical... but the horse was soft and pleasant looking, and as he worked him he brought him up, shifted his balance toward his hind end, and ended with much more correct work. I tend to think the higher a horse's natural headset, the more it is going to bring its nose in when you ask for lower and more elastic work, and that horse was definitely not being forced there. The ability to get him up and moving into the contact was what made it seem ok to me.

But I'm a total peon, and it's only my opinion.

Perfect Pony
Aug. 29, 2011, 11:56 AM
I think some of you gals have the "rose colored glasses on" and that's o.k. But I would suggest you also take a good look at Gal's body position. I'm old enough to say that his leg is almost in the old "home" position. No vertical line in his body position - he's actually leaning back - feet on the dashboard!!

No flame suits needed - a curled up horse is certainly easy for anyone to achieve in a double bridle. After seeing Uthopia and comparing his overall muscle development (balanced) and light, soft, engaged movement - I hope the direction tacks this way. Totilas is striking but IMHO (which I'm entitled to!) does not compare to Uthopia.

Snipey remarks to chase people with differing opinions off the BB's is not productive. But have at it if it helps your egos.

I agree 100% with everything you have said here.

The videos actually make me a bit sad, I really see no beauty there.

alibi_18
Aug. 29, 2011, 12:21 PM

Have you ever saw Carl Hester's Training sessions on youtube?
Especially the warm-up parts?

That is the first part :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbk7HWtQWbM&feature=related

Perfect Pony
Aug. 29, 2011, 12:35 PM
Have you ever saw Carl Hester's Training sessions on youtube?
Especially the warm-up parts?

That is the first part :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbk7HWtQWbM&feature=related

Anyone who sees the same thing in Hester's video as the videos posted of Gal has to be blind.

BetterOffRed
Aug. 29, 2011, 01:11 PM
Anyone who sees the same thing in Hester's video as the videos posted of Gal has to be blind.

Yes, blinded by the pretty boots, great tan and pretty horse. :rolleyes:

alibi_18
Aug. 29, 2011, 01:20 PM

And deaf too?

@BetterOffRed : I saw a video where Hester wears light brown boots too! You think he went shopping with Gal?

BetterOffRed
Aug. 29, 2011, 04:18 PM
@BetterOffRed : I saw a video where Hester wears light brown boots too! You think he went shopping with Gal?

yes, and they probably go to the same color technician for their 'kissed by the sun' highlights. ;)

suzy
Aug. 30, 2011, 10:25 AM
I read an article not long ago in which Gal criticized his own leg position and his inability to keep his toes pointed straight ahead. Even though those long legs are beautiful (well, actually, so is the whole package!), I’m sure it’s a lot more challenging to maintain a perfect position because there are few horses tall or broad enough to fill out his legs. Perfect positions are lovely, but what good are they if they aren’t effective. Gal is certainly effective and has a wonderful seat. The quality of his seat is reflected in how (seemingly) easily he can keep his hands forward and reaching toward the horse’s mouth, allowing the horse freedom of motion. I personally think his position is enviable.

As others have said, these tapes are training tapes that show Gal’s technique for warming up and suppling a horse. If you watch his competition tapes, you’ll see that the poll is the highest point. If you watch any elite athlete or dancer warm up, you will witness them getting into positions that they won’t use in actual competition or performances. They are for the sole purpose of achieving maximum flexibility. This is what Gal et al are doing. Many riders will school steep lateral work, hyper-collected gaits, etc. to increase their horse’s flexibility and adjustability. However, these are strictly schooling techniques and not what they present in the competition ring, so I guess I am perplexed by some of the hand wringing going on here.

Xpression
Aug. 30, 2011, 12:47 PM
I read an article not long ago in which Gal criticized his own leg position and his inability to keep his toes pointed straight ahead. Even though those long legs are beautiful (well, actually, so is the whole package!), I’m sure it’s a lot more challenging to maintain a perfect position because there are few horses tall or broad enough to fill out his legs. Perfect positions are lovely, but what good are they if they aren’t effective. Gal is certainly effective and has a wonderful seat. The quality of his seat is reflected in how (seemingly) easily he can keep his hands forward and reaching toward the horse’s mouth, allowing the horse freedom of motion. I personally think his position is enviable.

As others have said, these tapes are training tapes that show Gal’s technique for warming up and suppling a horse. If you watch his competition tapes, you’ll see that the poll is the highest point. If you watch any elite athlete or dancer warm up, you will witness them getting into positions that they won’t use in actual competition or performances. They are for the sole purpose of achieving maximum flexibility. This is what Gal et al are doing. Many riders will school steep lateral work, hyper-collected gaits, etc. to increase their horse’s flexibility and adjustability. However, these are strictly schooling techniques and not what they present in the competition ring, so I guess I am perplexed by some of the hand wringing going on here.

Good post Suzy.

alicen
Aug. 30, 2011, 09:16 PM
Even though those long legs are beautiful (well, actually, so is the whole package

Good observation, suzy, and the rest of your post is spot on, too.

Kyzteke
Aug. 30, 2011, 10:32 PM
I like the song!

And everyone got such a terminal case of wadded undies that they have neglected to mention: he is wearing no helmet!!!!:eek::eek:

Now THAT is the main issue (or should be), right?;)

We all have our own likes/dislikes in terms of style, I suppose. But I would cast a vote in favor of EG letting that horse's face go every once in a while...

inspired
Aug. 31, 2011, 12:55 AM
I just need to say that I used Gal's AND Hester's ideas on the same horse today. :yes: At times, even, simultaniously. :eek:

Now I just need to boots. I've already got the hair.

alibi_18
Aug. 31, 2011, 12:59 AM
I just need to say that I used Gal's AND Hester's ideas on the same horse today. :yes: At times, even, simultaniously. :eek:

Now I just need to boots. I've already got the hair.

If you ride as good as both, I need to know who you are and what you look like! There is no picture on your profile...:cry:

LoL You might wanna wait for this year's Secret Santa before ordering a new pair of those gorgeous boots! :D

inspired
Aug. 31, 2011, 01:10 AM
Should I call my horse Totilas or Uthopia? Decisions, decisions..... OOO! I got an idea! I think I'll call him Salinero when he's naughty. :D

Truthfully, I've been drooling over those boots ever since I saw Susie Dutta wearing them in the warm-up at Devon years ago.