PDA

View Full Version : Useful Iphone Apps for trail riding / GPS

GallopingGrape
Jul. 26, 2011, 03:02 PM
Anyone have any great Iphone apps that you use on the trails? GPS, etc?

Kim
www.GallopingGrape.com
Equine & Wine

BayRoan
Jul. 26, 2011, 06:53 PM
I use endomondo on my android phone. It's very likely available for IPhone, as well. It's a handy app that uses your gps to track you and give you feedback about mileage, time splits, etc. You can also see your track on a google satellite map.

Raleigh's Mom
Jul. 26, 2011, 08:10 PM
I was using My Tracks on my android. I love it, but now the gps is not tracking correctly (the track is recorded as a squiggly line so extra distance is added). I am not sure if it is the gps on my phone or the app. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling but maybe I will tried endomondo.

TheOtherHorse
Jul. 26, 2011, 09:42 PM
I also use Endomondo on my Droid, and I love it. :yes:

49'er
Jul. 27, 2011, 12:03 AM
I have a friend who used sMaps on her phone.

Belg
Jul. 27, 2011, 12:31 PM
I've got runmeter on mine, I like it; I can do custom routes and tracking, even custome activities. I even use it to track different categories of mowing on my zero-turn (house, farm, fencelines, etc). Check it out :=)

irish_horse
Jul. 27, 2011, 04:02 PM
I have used Endomondo and runkeeper, free and pretty good. I prefer MotionX GPS. I mostly use it just to see speed/distance/elevation/map. I did also use it for wayfinding recently (an area with badly marked trails) and found it very useful. It has a bit more of a learning curve, but with integrated maps you download you don't need network service for it to work. It was worth the few bucks.

Equibrit
Jul. 27, 2011, 04:18 PM
Unfortunately where I go trail riding, you can't get a signal.

BayRoan
Jul. 27, 2011, 04:50 PM
Endomondo has worked for me even when there is no cell signal. It must be working off the gps alone. I don't know if it will start without a cell signal, but it has held my track on rides of several hours in areas with no phone service.

It isn't perfect. Sometimes my mileage varies, even though I've gone the same route as a previous trip, and it will lose the track in canyon/coniferous forest, just like most gps units (when it picks up again you will see a straight line on your map between where it lost the satellites and where it picked up again), but I find it very handy and it's a free app. I use it on a Droid 2 Global, which is a Motorola product with a pretty strong antennae.

irish_horse
Jul. 27, 2011, 05:26 PM
Equibrit: that is why i like motionX. You can download maps of the area when you have a signal, then go on a ride. Most of my trails I have no signal either. (edited to say, this is sounding like an ad for the software! I am in NO way affiliated, just have used it successfully for a couple years)

LisaW-B
Jul. 27, 2011, 07:05 PM
I recently joined the ranks of the smartphones (after many years with a Tracfone, so you can see I've significantly moved up in the world!) and have started using endomondo on my Crackberry to track my trail riding, arena riding and walking. I like it! It seems accurate and I like seeing how many miles I've gone and what my/my horses' rates of speed all are. I also like giving myself credit for walking and keeping track of my own distances and routes. It is accurate in tracking each horses's average spped at each gait, too. I already knew who was the fastest and who is the slowest horse, but now I know it according to my GPS, lol. It will be more fun to use in the fall when I can start trailering out to trail ride again, when our weather cools off, and see how it works out in the open desert and hilly areas, and see where I've been when I'm out riding and am not really sure how far I went, etc. I chose endomondo because it was free, and a lot of Blackberry users seemed to like it.

My ranch horse also blogged recently about his own opinion of endomondo. Suffice to say, he's not super enthusiastic about it like I am. :)

Heart's Journey
Jul. 28, 2011, 12:27 PM
friend of mine uses Accuterra and maps out her rides, but it's time consuming to mark in turns, etc but the final version is a neat map you can print out especially if there aren't any maps available for that area. She does say it runs the battery down, so you need to have an extra battery just in case.

MeghanDACVA
Jul. 29, 2011, 10:20 AM
Stupid question about these apps. I have Endomondo on mine. But problems I have are:
1) how the heck to you "mount" the phone so you can see it while riding? I event so would like to use it to monitor my distance and speed.
2) how do you deal with it going into its downmode, ie turns itself off so you have hit the button then unlock it to see the screen again? While you are riding?

Auventera Two
Jul. 29, 2011, 10:29 AM
Motion X user here, with my iPhone. Works awesome. During endurance rides it sends my husband an update email every 1 hour showing my tracks, speed, location, etc. He worries when I'm away at those kind of rides, so it makes him happy. It was $0.99 cents to download it. I also use an Exo-Gear auxillary battery pack and keep the whole thing in a dry pack attached to the front of my saddle. That way when I sponge or pour water on the horse, I don't have to worry about the phone. I have a Cobra battery pack charger back in camp and on vet checks I just plug the phone in to charge it, if needed.

Ozalynda
Jul. 29, 2011, 11:28 AM
What are the advantages of using a smart phone application over using a "real" GPS unit? Assuming one does not already have a smart phone...

GallopingGrape
Jul. 29, 2011, 11:36 AM
If you have a GPS app, you only have to carry your phone.. not a phone and a GPS.
Kim
www.GallopingGrape.com

puddleplasher
Jul. 31, 2011, 12:00 PM
The issue I had with using any of these apps on my iPhone was that they always required the phone to be on and "alert" the whole time, and it would run down the battery like crazy -- leaving me without extra battery time in case of an emergency, so I went with a regular GPS unit. But perhaps I should look into those auxiliary battery packs that Auventera mentions. I do like the email update feature - I tried one app that was supposed to send text messages, but it never did, only emails. In the meantime, I found a regular GPS that can still "read" through the fabric of my trail vest, and I just turn it on and stick it in a pocket and forget about it until the end of the ride.

'plash

PRS
Jul. 31, 2011, 06:37 PM
My son uses MapMyRide for his bike rides which has sister apps of MapMyRun and MapMyHike. I haven't been able to lift his phone to try out MapMyHike as an application that could be used for trail riding....may have to get my own smart phone....

Yoss13
Mar. 5, 2012, 09:41 PM
Anyone have any great Iphone apps that you use on the trails? GPS, etc?

Kim
www.GallopingGrape.com
Equine & Wine

There is nice app in app store now: EQUiTrail. I really like this app! It is designed for trail riding! finally there is one - i was looking for it long time. You can save and share your map with friends. Take photos and add annotations on the map.

RunawayWind
Mar. 6, 2012, 09:47 AM
I have an Android phone, and love the MyTracks app (it's free!). A quick google reveals that there's a MyTracks for iPhone, as well (at the same great price).

The only feature that MyTracks doesn't have that I wish it did, would be to indicate on the track in which direction you were traveling. I've been checking other apps whenever I hear of one, to see if they offer that feature but have not yet found one that does.

irish_horse
Mar. 6, 2012, 10:47 AM
Since my last post, I've actually switched from MotionX to Strava Cycling. It is a little simpler program. I'll still use MotionX for backcountry, since it downloads maps into memory. Strava doesn't have a map feature (on the phone itself, it does online), it is purely mileage, time, speed. When I'm at home, know where I am, and just want the basics, Strava has been nice. I like the feature to upload to their website, then you can view the map, charts, etc. over a set period of time (like how many miles in a month).

Just another option, I wish more had a "horse riding" selection and not just hiking, walking, cycling, etc.

TheOtherHorse
Mar. 6, 2012, 08:07 PM
The only feature that MyTracks doesn't have that I wish it did, would be to indicate on the track in which direction you were traveling. I've been checking other apps whenever I hear of one, to see if they offer that feature but have not yet found one that does.

Endomondo sort of does- it has numbers on your track which indicates the mile markers, so you can figure out which way you were going based on increasing mile markers.

kudosirony
Mar. 11, 2012, 10:51 PM
I use IMapMyFitness on my iphone. My horse had some ligament problems so i haven't used it in a year but I believe it had a mode to keep tracking while my cell screen was off. I have one of the strap cellphone holders to keep it on my thigh or arm. I rarely look at it while riding except to check time but i figure if you do need to keep trackwhile riding you could get hose clear plastic Nike (or similar) arm bands that runners use.

Attack
Mar. 14, 2012, 09:59 AM
I just downloaded Endomondo this morning, and used it on my trip from home to work. I drive a country road with a few low spots that are heavily wooded with no cell signal, but Endo worked off the satellite anyway. A few things I don't like, and maybe it does these and I haven't figured out how to do it yet:

No way to mark way points

Can't zoom in on map

No way to go back and use same track a different time

Other than that it is great. I am going to try myTracks next. If anyone knows anything about the above issues please enlighten me.

TwoDreamRides
Mar. 14, 2012, 11:03 AM
Not a GPS/Mapping App, but one I was introduced to over the weekend and I think the concept is great: MyMobileWitness.

You take a picture of any person you meet on the trail with your smart phone through the app and it logs the picture, time, and GPS location of you. If you don't come home from the trail, they can then locate the person in your picture and question them - either as a suspect, or just to help with insights such as were you in distress, did you seem disoriented, etc. Along with the time & GPS location being mapped, it helps them find you faster.

Note that it's not a MyMobileSuspect - just because you took a picture of them doesn't make them a suspect, just someone who might help authorities find you faster.

TheOtherHorse
Mar. 15, 2012, 06:30 AM
I just downloaded Endomondo this morning, and used it on my trip from home to work. I drive a country road with a few low spots that are heavily wooded with no cell signal, but Endo worked off the satellite anyway. A few things I don't like, and maybe it does these and I haven't figured out how to do it yet:

No way to mark way points

Can't zoom in on map

No way to go back and use same track a different time

Other than that it is great. I am going to try myTracks next. If anyone knows anything about the above issues please enlighten me.

I've never tried to mark way points, not sure if it can be done.

You can zoom in on the map if you log in to Endomondo.com on a computer- there are lots of statistics and an interactive map with photo view on the full website. Also you can edit the details on the website- I keep track of which horse I was riding.

I haven't tried to use the same track before, but I saw tabs on the website that sounds like it might be that...