PDA

View Full Version : Rear Bell Boots for Rope Walker?

ParadoxFarm
Jul. 26, 2011, 12:55 PM
One of my horse is a rope walker. Are there any good TOUGH bell boots that will work on hind hooves? Thanks for any advice.

*Liz*
Jul. 26, 2011, 01:06 PM
Try the Italian double thick bellboots. IMO, the double thick pull-overs are the only kind worth using for a horse that actively grabs at himself.

AEM74
Jul. 26, 2011, 01:11 PM
Hi, OP. I don't have specific advice about the bell boots but I wanted to mention that a friend of mine has an OTTB that was a rope walker when he came off the track, too. She had him adjusted a few times and he hasn't done it since. I'm sure you've thought about this, but I just wanted to bring it up.

Good luck with your new guy!

scubed
Jul. 26, 2011, 01:30 PM
often a fetlock ring will actually stop the stepping on, and might be a good bridge to shoeing/adjustment that might more permanently fix the issue:

http://www.amazon.com/Gifted-Horse-Fetlock-Ring/dp/B000BDBKZA

GingerJumper
Jul. 26, 2011, 02:30 PM
My guy was a rope walker when I bought him. I had him adjusted and we've been doing lots of conditioning/retraining, and it's never been an issue since. He's still a little closer to being a rope walker than my other guy, but not nearly as much.

JER
Jul. 26, 2011, 03:00 PM
I find working up and down hills to be the best thing for this.

The fetlock ring usually does the job until there's sufficient muscle and balance in the hind end to stop any interference.

My 3 year-old OTTB is a tight roper but he doesn't interfere so I'm not concerned about it.

magnolia73
Jul. 26, 2011, 03:25 PM
Gosh that is a very attractive horse- such a nice neck.

My horse moves like that behind- trailers on her hind shoes help.

TheBrightSide06
Jul. 26, 2011, 03:33 PM
He's no good at all! Just gross. QUICK! Hide him on my trailer!! ;)

Jk, he's beautiful! My old TB was a rope walker and we used the Italian pull on bell boots and they were great!

Good luck!

mcorbett
Jul. 26, 2011, 04:43 PM
My TB tight rope walked when I got her too. She stopped eventually and now only does it when strangers ride her (nerves?). Good luck with him! It may turn out to be a temporary issue!

goodmorning
Jul. 26, 2011, 05:02 PM
Mine was a tight rope walker & seems to revert to it when tense. Also tends to do this L?egs always rest towards the mid-line) when just standing around - not god during fly season! Yes, hind bell boots are good, fetlock rings are as well.

I'll also add that with regular work, and a great farrier, you can really decrease the action. Mine was/is also weak in the stifle, which is one of the reasons regular work has been so important. Does yours have a powerful hind? Haven't met too many, so I'm curious to see trends. Horse can do tempi's (not perfect dressage, just easy to change on), big canter, and powerful jump. Its 'harder on the hocks' per the vet so make sure to keep them comfortable :yes:

LSM1212
Jul. 26, 2011, 05:19 PM
No advice here other than what has already been said.

But I just wanted to say that I loff your horsie! :D

DLee
Jul. 26, 2011, 05:20 PM
I have a TB with an old injury on the inside of his hind pastern. I keep a Professional Choice bell boot on him pretty much all the time, it has significantly reduced the amount of irritation to that scar, and it stays on really well.

ParadoxFarm
Jul. 26, 2011, 05:23 PM
DLee, you put a regular Prof Choice bell boot on him? It fits okay? Is it the type with that little "bulb" on it to keep it from shifting? Those seem to not work with the hinds (from a pair that I have, but not Prof Choice). Is your the ballistic nylon type? Thanks for your input.

Gry2Yng
Jul. 26, 2011, 06:09 PM
Fetlock ring is good. I have also used a neoprene pastern band. My old guy will catch himself when dinking around at the free walk. I found that he got annoyed by the fetlock ring and traveled differently at the trot when it was on.

ETA: Running out and only able to watch 2 seconds of your video. Your horse is STUNNING. Lucky girl.

DLee
Jul. 26, 2011, 07:42 PM
DLee, you put a regular Prof Choice bell boot on him? It fits okay? Is it the type with that little "bulb" on it to keep it from shifting? Those seem to not work with the hinds (from a pair that I have, but not Prof Choice). Is your the ballistic nylon type? Thanks for your input.

Yes, it is that shaped kind, it's pretty old, I'm not sure what it is made of, I hope that helps!
Gry2Yng, I need to look for a neoprene pastern band, as that's where the scar is and the bell boot just barely gets to it. Are they pretty easy to find?

maxxtrot
Jul. 26, 2011, 08:00 PM
sometimes rope/midline walkers can be hock sore. so maybe check into that as well. very nice though

echodecker
Jul. 26, 2011, 09:52 PM
I think Bit of Britain carries them...they come in packs of two. I ride my mare in one everytime as she interferes a little bit on the one side, esp when her hocks are needing done...

Let me find a link...
http://www.bitofbritain.com/Nunn_Finer_Pastern_Bands_p/9568.htm

You can find generic ones for cheaper, like 2.99 but I don't have a good source since my local store closed!

DLee
Jul. 26, 2011, 10:22 PM
I think Bit of Britain carries them...they come in packs of two. I ride my mare in one everytime as she interferes a little bit on the one side, esp when her hocks are needing done...

Let me find a link...
http://www.bitofbritain.com/Nunn_Finer_Pastern_Bands_p/9568.htm

You can find generic ones for cheaper, like 2.99 but I don't have a good source since my local store closed!

Omg, that is EXACTLY what I have been needing! Thanks so much, I've never seen one... I love the power of COTH!

retreadeventer
Jul. 27, 2011, 12:35 AM
Do not forget to check out Big D --- www.bigdweb.com -- and click on "Racing Tack". They have pastern bands there, as well as all sorts of great trotter boots that protect hind legs, hind ankle boots with speedy cuts (sort of a drop down hinged protection portion for the pastern) and lots of different bell boots and stuff.
Also try Finn Tack.