PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remember The Event at Jackson Hole?

NeverTime
Jul. 26, 2011, 07:04 AM
If you ever competed there, you remember the unusually fabulous-for-the-West footing in those old hayfields and the SPECTACULAR scenery. If you ever competed there, you probably purchased at least one picture of yourself jumping with the Grand Tetons in the background so big they look fake.

The event ended several years ago (5-6?) after the property was sold, part was subdivided for homes and the main equestrian center was converted into a cutting-horse facility. There was a gorgeous Mark Phillips-designed course (no sniping, it was very nice) that was dismantled, with a few of the jumps finding homes at other evening venues, IIRC.

Anyways, the property is back in the news. It is now for sale as "the most expensive property in the U.S." at a record-setting $175M for less than 2,000 acres plus the equestrian center and "riding rink," all minutes away from Jackson, Wyo., and the Jackson Hole ski area:

http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/americas-most-expensive-home-is-for-cowboys.html

I guess it's too much to hope that whoever buys it might bring the event back? ;)

RAyers
Jul. 26, 2011, 08:12 AM
Yes I do, especially everytime I come to a water complex.

I would love to see it come back. Most of the fences are at Rebecca now though.

DLee
Jul. 26, 2011, 09:01 AM
I do! :yes: I saw that Spring Creek (or Gulch, or whatever) is now for sale. Would be a real shame to see that subdivided, which I guess they could do. Hopefully the price is too extreme.

Loved that event, and the Weiss's put on a great spread as well!

LAZ
Jul. 26, 2011, 04:13 PM
I was out in the Greater Yellowstone ecosystem doing field work one year--we took a couple of days off from paleosol work & went to the Tetons--imagine my surpise to find an event going on in Jackson Hole! We didn't stay as I was with a bunch of geologists instead of horse people, but it sure was gorgeous.

rosijet
Jul. 26, 2011, 09:30 PM
Yes! Competed there once when they held the area championships - I think it was in 2000. It was, by far, my favorite event in our area. I was so disappointed when it sold. It sure made for some gorgeous cross-country pictures! :)

old eventer
Jul. 26, 2011, 10:00 PM
I know that the guy who bought spring creek, also then bought another 2000 acres next to it, basically it is the whole valley floor now, so it is alot more than just the equestrian center. I too hope it doesn't get developed. They say alot of the over 10 million dollar properties in the aspen area are being bought by the russians or europeans, as the dollar is so weak, so who knows who will own spring creek in the end. Would put a bet on it, it will not be an american. By the way no jumps went to Rebecca, all those were built on the place originally i believe. That is still a 10 hour drive from Jackson.

lawchick
Jul. 28, 2011, 11:14 PM
I never rode there but I watched several events and it was always a huge pleasure.

tuppysmom
Jul. 29, 2011, 11:34 PM
DD and DH rode there just about every year from the first to the last. What a great event the Weisses put on there. They had activities for the non riders too, sporting clays comes to mind.

Area 9 misses that event!

Maryalden
Jul. 30, 2011, 12:21 AM
We never went, but we heard wonderful things about it,

Does anyone remember the event at Squaw Valley?

WNT
Jul. 30, 2011, 09:48 PM
I went the last year it ran. It was my third Novice event, and I remember being so nervous walking my course, I walked part of the Advanced course. The Novice looked a LOT better after that!

Beautiful venue, beautiful courses. I was very saddened when they sold the place. I was afraid they would do a lot more subdividing than it seems they did.

cindywilson
Jul. 31, 2011, 02:03 AM
Jackson Hole was always one of our favorites. The first year we went, Keith Walton mentioned that the only thing that would make it better would be to have sporting clays (away from the XC). The Weiss's told us to come back next year w/ our guns. Sure enough, there was a sporting clay set up. It was one of our favorite events for the courses, the hospitality and, of course, the photos w/ the Tetons in the background.

Also, I'm probably one of the only others who remembers the event at Squaw Valley. Did they only have it once? It was great fun (we went river rafting there). I won a division (T? P?) and about $300. On the drive home, blew a tire & spent about $500 on new tires. Still, would have gone back in a heartbeat.

Maryalden
Jul. 31, 2011, 03:04 AM
Cindy, our age is showing. ;-) I never competed at Squaw Valley, but was able, via borrowed horse, to ride the training course. It was lovely. I think the event was either too close to Wild Horse or Lily Glen scheduling wise, so we never went. Our loss.

My eldest son is on a ski team at Squaw; how I wish he'd jump fences rather than moguls.

I hope you are well,

Alden

three_dayer
Jul. 31, 2011, 10:37 AM
Jackson hole was one of my favorite events. Lots of good memories, one year it was so cold that the pipes in the trailer froze, there was an inch of frost on the ground, the first horse on course had to go through the water jump with an inch of ice floating on top of the water....that was tuppysmom's daughter. Mind you this was in august. I rode every course there exept intermediate( it was pretty close to NAYRC's so my horse was taking his month break) That was such a fun course.
I hope the new owner won't subdivide into mcmansions with 5 acre lots...:(

cindywilson
Jul. 31, 2011, 01:19 PM
Alden -

How time flies. Your 'eldest' son? That implies more than one. OMG. And I'm a great-aunt. Which my brother says sounds way older than 'grandpa.'

Cindy

DLee
Jul. 31, 2011, 01:37 PM
ThreeDayer I LOVE your profile pic :yes:

I lived in IF 27 years, are you from around there?

NeverTime
Jul. 31, 2011, 02:55 PM
Jackson hole was one of my favorite events. Lots of good memories, one year it was so cold that the pipes in the trailer froze, there was an inch of frost on the ground, the first horse on course had to go through the water jump with an inch of ice floating on top of the water....that was tuppysmom's daughter. Mind you this was in august. I rode every course there exept intermediate( it was pretty close to NAYRC's so my horse was taking his month break) That was such a fun course.
I hope the new owner won't subdivide into mcmansions with 5 acre lots...:(

Ha! The only course I got to ride there was the intermediate, and it was our very first, so a really memorable experience. (I have the photo with the Tetons in the background, and when I got married, my husband gave me an incredibly wonderful, incredibly frivolous gift: An artist's rendering of that very photo, with just two things changed: The jump number and the bridle number, to reflect the month and day of our wedding. So cute, and such a cool thing, too, to commemorate my horse's competitive career.)

As far as development, the article says up to 35 homesites, IIRC. I thought the property had certain conservation easements put on it when the last owners purchased, so maybe there are restrictions on how those 35 homesites can be placed. Hmmm...

SevenDogs
Jul. 31, 2011, 02:57 PM
... when I got married, my husband gave me an incredibly wonderful, incredibly frivolous gift: An artist's rendering of that very photo, with just two things changed: The jump number and the bridle number, to reflect the month and day of our wedding. So cute, and such a cool thing, too, to commemorate my horse's competitive career.)

KEEPER! :)

tinyirishgnome
Aug. 1, 2011, 01:08 AM
Oh yes! I competed there a couple of times! I worked as a groom at a local event/ C.T barn nearby. We had access to school there. What an incredible facility. I was devastated after it shut down . Boy, just thinking about it makes me homesick for Wyoming. I will post some competition pics tomorrow....stay tuned.

Weatherford
Aug. 1, 2011, 08:47 AM
2000 acres divided by 35 is still 57 acres per homesite. Not bad acreage....

My parents lived out there in the 40's.... but didn't have the money to buy the mineral rights on their farm, so sold and moved back east. Next owners found oil or something like that... :rolleyes:

I've never been there...