PDA

View Full Version : Fence charger quit....what can I check?

Melelio
Jul. 25, 2011, 05:51 PM
It's a Parmak Field Master II . We had a lightning hit close just the other day, when it failed. The fuse is good, all lines and outlets it's on are good. Is there anything inside I can look at, or am I looking at getting a new one?

This is the second time losing a charger....sigh...:no: Next one I'll get that lightning blocker thingie...

Now I read on their site that this model has some sort of built in 'lightning arrestor'. Guess that didn't work so well.

tobruk
Jul. 25, 2011, 06:11 PM
You need at least 3 good grounds 10' apart. That may not have helped here. Sometimes they can have their insides fixed, sometimes not. Our Co-op here fixes some. I'd just buy a new one and be sure it's well grounded.

mestle
Jul. 25, 2011, 07:27 PM
Call Parmak, they are really good about troubleshooting and can repair for a reasonable cost if it is fixable. Their real name is Parker McCrory if googling parmak doesn't work.
Mary

rmh_rider
Jul. 25, 2011, 07:50 PM
Good on the fuse, but bad on the fuse.

Does it smell burned?

I had a box get smoked on the wall via lightening which hit close by a tree. I have lost many fuses also. I have a very VERY good ground on it.

I know they are pricey, but you may be in for a new box. So sorry. We have lost lots of stuff due to lightening, and it was in the area but didn't hit close by. Have SEEN it hit close by and it didn't zap stuff out. Have seen it not hit close by and we lose stuff. Odd thing lightening. Never know what it will do on a given day.

I do go out and make sure all horses are vertical, and there are no horizontal ones.

Nevertheless, I am ready to MOVE from this property, dratted housing market though makes it hard.

fordtraktor
Jul. 25, 2011, 09:52 PM
This is a dumb question so forgive me for asking, but have you walked your fence lines and made sure you don't have a branch or weeds or something grounding it out? Sometimes you get lucky....the lightning might just be coincidence. I had a rogue wild grapevine grounding out mine last week along the back of the farm. Darn thing sprung up on me overnight.

Sorry about the lightning...more likely to be that but just thought I'd mention on the off chance.

nashfad
Jul. 25, 2011, 10:08 PM
Check for something on the wire. Check all your hookups on your post that the wire or whatever you use (tape) is not touching a nail or wood. Do you have a good digital fence tester? If so, test the box hook ups to see if they are charging. And put the xtra lightning protector on your box. Do you have your receipt? Did you buy an extended warranty for the box?

alabama
Jul. 25, 2011, 10:41 PM
Check your fuses. I've had lightning strikes kill my chargers by blowing my fuses. If that's it, it's an easy fix.

Melelio
Jul. 26, 2011, 02:27 PM
There is nothing that smells burned or looks charred. Fuse is ok. I unhooked the charger from the fence, but left it on the ground. Nothing.

When you first plug it in, the red operation light flicks a bit then out....

Maybe I'll give them a call.

Melelio
Jul. 26, 2011, 04:40 PM
Called Parmak and explained the symptoms. He said it's dead, but for $45-50 (probably less shipping each way) it could probably be salvaged.... :no: Guess that lightning arrestor feature wasn't worth much.

Thanks all...